Who will detonate the wildfire, and why? Please stop and let this thread die...

Alyn Oakenfist

6 hours ago, Ewan McGregor said:

The Faceless men and the Citadel are in a century old consipracy against Valyria.  They were the ones do destroy Valyria.  They were the ones to kill the dragons.  Or at least attempt to. 

I mean, I agree with both parts individually. Tho I'm not sure if the FM cause the doom, it's likely that they did, and even then you must agree it was good for the world and deserved. Specially if it was a slave revolt.

But you seem convinced that not only they did, but they are allied, do you care to provide any proof?

Dany has managed to twart them in that, just like she will continue to twart the reactionaries.  In the meantime however, if they can't strike at the last Targaryen, they'll strike at their legacy.  King's Landing, a city built by them showing the great things they did for Westeros.  They know the people of Kings Landing are still loyal to the Targaryens, which is another reason why they will remove it.

The Citadel is anti magic, sure, but how does it transfer to it being anti-KL? I think there's no textual support to claim that, they just mistrust magic, but KL isn't magic, it would make more sense for them to want to destroy Dragonstone, Storm's End, Winterfell, etc.

Similar problem with the FM. If they caused the Doom, they did so to kill the people who enslave them and either end valiryan slavery or just get revenge, why would it matter to destroy a city? The city isn't valiryan anymore, why not destroying Volantis or the cities of Slaver's Bay? They where built by Valiryans too, and practice slavery.

31 minutes ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

I love how Dany, Valyrians, and Targaryens are never at fault.

Even though GRRM said "probably, yes" when asked if Valyrians destroyed Valyria. 

That link says 'perhaps' rather than probably. George loves to prevaricate when questioned. In any case, the Valyrians would ultimately be at fault if they were struck down by a slave resistance movement.

Pretty sure Dany can't be blamed for the Doom of Valyria, though.

26 minutes ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

I love how Dany, Valyrians, and Targaryens are never at fault.

Even though GRRM said "probably, yes" when asked if Valyrians destroyed Valyria. 

I feel like greed got the better of them.  They dug their mines too deep and weakened the fault.  Valyria was situated on a fault.  They knew and still continued digging.  But the Targaryens are different from the other Valyrian nobles.  I love Dany.  You don't like Dany.  It should not come as a surprise if we come to a lot of disagreements in the future.  But it isn't fair to include the Targaryens in the blame game over the doom.  They left their homeland.  What happened to cause the Doom was not their fault. 

33 minutes ago, Rose of Red Lake said:
59 minutes ago, Ewan McGregor said:

The other Valyrians where at blame for letting their guard down.  The Targaryens however where the only ones that knew what to do, so that is why they survived.  Similarly Dany is now the only leader that knows what to do

Blocked at 33 posts.

Impressive. Most impressive

3 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

Blocked at 33 posts.

How'd you find out 

2 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Can't understand 

Edit 

Is his spam account blocked? Is Sheev's too? Or (wishful, ik) all 900+ blocked? 

34 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:
3 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

Blocked at 33 posts.

How'd you find out 

34 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:
3 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Can't understand 

Edit 

Is his spam account blocked? Is Sheev's too? Or (wishful, ik) all 900+ blocked? 

I think she means she blocked him and is no longer seeing what he posts. Not sure how you do that though

24 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

I think she means she blocked him and is no longer seeing what he posts. Not sure how you do that though

You hover over user's name and when profile appears, select "ignore user".

11 hours ago, Wall Flower said:

That link says 'perhaps' rather than probably. George loves to prevaricate when questioned. In any case, the Valyrians would ultimately be at fault if they were struck down by a slave resistance movement.

Pretty sure Dany can't be blamed for the Doom of Valyria, though.

Dany can't. But Valyrians? One theory I've seen states that volcanoes erupted due to overuse of (fire-based) magic. Which sounds reasonable, though another possibility is that the Faceless Men detonated the volcanoes.

But maybe I'm overthinking it.

8 minutes ago, Aldarion said:

Dany can't. But Valyrians? One theory I've seen states that volcanoes erupted due to overuse of (fire-based) magic. Which sounds reasonable, though another possibility is that the Faceless Men detonated the volcanoes.

I think either way, the Valyrians have to bear some responsibility. The Wiki says that one theory was too many assassinations of the mages controlling the Fourteen Flames and their spells faltered. Although, it could have been a natural phenomenon I guess.

30 minutes ago, Aldarion said:

Thanks!!!

9 minutes ago, Wall Flower said:

Although, it could have been a natural phenomenon I guess.

Could be a Mines of Moria kind of thing with them digging too much and unveiling too power a magic.

4 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

3 hours ago, Aldarion said:

Thank you both for clearing up 

I don’t believe the entire city can blow up accidentally.  Somebody with knowledge, like the pyromancer and the FM, would have to rig the barrels to create a chain reaction.  Besides those groups, only Jaime would have a clue as to the whereabouts of the cache.  Jaquen was searching when he got caught.  

On 1/15/2021 at 12:36 AM, Quoth the raven, said:

I feel like greed got the better of them.  They dug their mines too deep and weakened the fault.  Valyria was situated on a fault.  They knew and still continued digging.  But the Targaryens are different from the other Valyrian nobles.  I love Dany.  You don't like Dany.  It should not come as a surprise if we come to a lot of disagreements in the future.  But it isn't fair to include the Targaryens in the blame game over the doom.  They left their homeland.  What happened to cause the Doom was not their fault. 

I would say it was.

https://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/dugtoodeep01_7893.png 

Jaime, taking down the Red Keep with himself and Cersei. Jaime has a dream of the Targs and Starks condemning him, so I think there's no redemption for him or he believes there isn't, so ultimately he returns to Cersei. And in that final moment, Cersei realizes Maggy's prophecy was wrong, but it's too late and it's all over.

On 1/15/2021 at 5:54 AM, Aldarion said:

The Faceless Men are the leading suspects.  That's the reason why a lot of people believe that it will be Arya Stark who will detonate the wildfire and blow up King's Landing. 

Archived