NFL 2020: Stop the Steel(ers)

Maithanet

Just now, Maithanet said:

First rounders getting dumped after two years with a coaching change isn't that unusual.  This is one game early of that mark.  Josh Rosen is the obvious example of a guy who was drafted higher (10th vs 15th for Haskins), and who got shipped out for spare change after only one year, and then cut following year two as a benchwarmer. 

I'd say the big difference there is that the team had the number one pick and we're pretty obviously going to take the best QB on the board.

Washington doesn't have a contingency plan in place.  They just cut the dude because he sucks and is a dick about it. 

2 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

A better question would be why was a guy who only started the one season, even if it was Ohio State,  taken in the first round to begin with?  

Maybe you should ask Kyler Murray. 

6 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

This is one game early of that mark.  Josh Rosen is the obvious example of a guy who was drafted higher (10th vs 15th for Haskins), and who got shipped out for spare change after only one year, and then cut following year two as a benchwarmer. 

Well that's the thing, though...Arizona actually got a 2nd and a 5th from Miami which is pretty decent all things considered. Washington didn't even want to wait for the season to end to try and maybe get a late round pick for him. Cutting Haskins with just one game left is a giant F U to him.

1 minute ago, briantw said:

I'd say the big difference there is that the team had the number one pick and we're pretty obviously going to take the best QB on the board.

Washington doesn't have a contingency plan in place.  They just cut the dude because he sucks and is a dick about it. 

The situations aren't exactly the same.  But it was nonetheless very unusual to give up on a top 10 pick qb after a single season, regardless of other extenuating factors. 

Haskins isn't good enough to be worth the headaches that he's creating with his immaturity.  If he were acting like a professional and not doing stupid shit like partying with strippers to celebrate losing to the Seahawks in violation of COVID protocols, then he'd just be a benchwarmer and would probably get traded this offseason for a 6th rounder or something. 

Looks like the conventional wisdom this is a "two quarterback draft" has already been upended.  Just went through almost a dozen updated mocks and Wilson, not Fields, was at #2 in nearly half of them.  Also looks like there's a good chance 4 QBs will go in the top ten, which the Niners just climbed out of by winning a pointless game.  Ugh.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Looks like the conventional wisdom this is a "two quarterback draft" has already been upended.  Just went through almost a dozen updated mocks and Wilson, not Fields, was at #2 in nearly half of them.  Also looks like there's a good chance 4 QBs will go in the top ten, which the Niners just climbed out of by winning a pointless game.  Ugh.

I could see potentially 5-6 QB’s go in the first. Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Lance, Trask, and Mac Jones. 

3 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I could see potentially 5-6 QB’s go in the first. Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Lance, Trask, and Mac Jones. 

Yep all 6 go in the first round of most mocks I looked at.

36 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You might have to mentally prepare for Cousins being your QB next year.

You might have to finally accept it was your team that agreed to that moronic contract, not mine.  Paraag Marathe would never structure a contract so idiotically, which is why the Niners can easily divest themselves from Garoppolo while the Vikings can't from Cousins.

26 minutes ago, DMC said:

You might have to finally accept it was your team that agreed to that moronic contract, not mine.  Paraag Marathe would never structure a contract so idiotically, which is why the Niners can easily divest themselves from Garoppolo while the Vikings can't from Cousins.

In retrospect the contract wasn't that bad, and played out as I expected. The team was a contender with a career backup as its starter and a ton of studs on rookie deals. Cousins basically gave them a two year window to win a title and the third year (this season) would be cap hell. I don't love that they extended him, but there are worse deals out there for inferior QBs.

Cousins would be an upgrade though, and he probably wouldn't cost much to trade for. I'd be ecstatic if we could get a third for him, but I doubt we'd get that. 

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Cousins would be an upgrade though, and he probably wouldn't cost much to trade for. I'd be ecstatic if we could get a third for him, but I doubt we'd get that. 

Other than health, no, Cousins wouldn't be an upgrade from Garoppolo.  Any team that trades for him would be on the hook for $30 million in 2022, which is why the only way he winds up in a 49ers uniform next season is if the Vikings release him.

11 minutes ago, DMC said:

Other than health, no, Cousins wouldn't be an upgrade from Garoppolo.  Any team that trades for him would be on the hook for $30 million in 2022, which is why the only way he winds up in a 49ers uniform next season is if the Vikings release him.

Why do you say it wouldn't be an upgrade? Both are middle of the pack guys, but looking at last year, their numbers are almost identical except that Jimmy threw more than twice as many Ints. You don't need a QB to do a ton in that offense, and Kirk's strengthens match a lot of what they want to do. It wouldn't be sexy, but it could work.

Also, $30m for an above average QB isn't that bad these days. Obviously a good QB on a rookie deal is more appealing, but you could easily draft the next Haskins.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Why do you say it wouldn't be an upgrade?

Because of what you said - he's basically what Garoppolo is when healthy.  That's not an upgrade.  And no, the Niners are not paying more money for that than they would if they just kept Garoppolo.

36 minutes ago, DMC said:

Because of what you said - he's basically what Garoppolo is when healthy.  That's not an upgrade.  And no, the Niners are not paying more money for that than they would if they just kept Garoppolo.

Idk about that. There is rumored mutual interest, and besides, Cousins is better at play action and isn't that a huge part of what the Niners do?

I'm not suggesting they're dying to give up a lot for him, but for the right price they could trade for him and dump Jimmy. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Idk about that. There is rumored mutual interest, and besides, Cousins is better at play action and isn't that a huge part of what the Niners do?

I'm not suggesting they're dying to give up a lot for him, but for the right price they could trade for him and dump Jimmy. 

First, the "mutual interest" is just random speculation based solely on the fact that Shanahan obviously has a history with Cousins.  Second, I don't see how Cousins is any better at play action than Garoppolo - and more importantly Garoppolo has far more experience under Shanahan than Cousins.  Third, you're ignoring the cap issue which I assure you the Niners are not.  They have about forty free agents of some kind to deal with this offseason, plus Fred Warner is up for an extension.  About a month ago Sherman even admitted he'd love to be back but it isn't gonna happen because the Niners need to spend their limited resources elsewhere.  They're not gonna hamstring themselves by taking on the financial commitment of Cousins.  And if they did they'd be incredibly stupid.

I wonder what kind of odds you could have gotten two weeks ago on the Jets and Bengals going a combined 4-0 in weeks 15 and 16.  500-1?  1000?  More?  Because both those teams only won 1 game between them in the first 14 weeks, and it's not like they were playing weak competition in the Rams, Steelers, Browns and Texans. 

Archived