NFL 2020: Stop the Steel(ers)

Maithanet

I don't love giving it to random sports figures generally, but it is the timing I find particularly distasteful in this case.  Lots of presidents have a quiet lame duck session where they attend to unimportant matters like this.  This is not one of those times. 

The Pederson firing seems kind of crazy. Overall winning record, the only SB win in franchise history and yet, he is gone. Sounds like there was just too much going on behind the scenes for the team to get on the same page. As a Cowboys fan I am not sad to see him leave!

3 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Fired three years after a championship. What a fall. If he hadn't jobbed his final game against WFT, I wonder if he'd still have a job.

I think that's been way overblown, but some players were legitimately pissed at him. Still think it has more to do with his broken relationship with Wentz with the latter having the owners ear. That's why I think they probably tried and failed to shop Wentz and following that, cutting ties with Pederson was the only route they could take because they're not cutting Wentz with that cap hit.

So Belichick did turn down the Presidential medal and cited the right reasons, good for him.

Dallas hires Dan Quinn as next DC...the guy whose defense got better after he was fired. Sounds like Matt Patricia all over again. NE def got better when he left.  Not excited about this.

Hearing reports Belichick wanted to accept and had to be pressured into declining the medal.  Real profile in courage.  Also, just a pet peeve, but it's the medal of freedom, not honor.  The medal of honor is exclusively a military decoration. 

5 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Congratulations Mr Belichick. Today you proved yourself a much more esteemed Patriot by saying "No Thanks" to that Medal of Honor, you have brought yourself the truest honor.

He's still a major Trump supporter and a douchebag. Fuck him and the pats. 

22 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I don't love giving it to random sports figures generally, but it is the timing I find particularly distasteful in this case.  Lots of presidents have a quiet lame duck session where they attend to unimportant matters like this.  This is not one of those times. 

I know we're getting a bit off topic, but the stat I heard was that 60% of the MoF recipients from Trump have been sports figures.

The (Presidential) Medal of Freedom has always been given out for outstanding achievement in the arts, sports included.  Usually it's a higher bar and Trump has definitely increased the volume of athletes, but I don't really care.

11 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think it's different this year because Covid has relaxed the practice squad elevation rules, but I can't say for sure.

Prior to Trump, Medal of Freedom winners include Robert Redford, Robert Deniro, and Meryl Streep, so entertainers were getting them already.  Oddly no, no professional wrestler has ever won one.

Per CNN: "The Medal of Freedom is bestowed to "individuals who have made especially meritorious contributions to the security or national interests of the United States, to world peace, or to cultural or other significant public or private endeavors," according to the White House."

So a lot of wiggle room there as far as eligibility.  Frankly though, I'm not sure a coach who had two games against the Jets this year and still had a losing record should qualify.

6 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Oddly no, no professional wrestler has ever won one.

If anyone deserves a Medal of Freedom, I think we can all agree it's Stone Cold Steve Austin.  He even gave Trump a stunner!

6 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Prior to Trump, Medal of Freedom winners include Robert Redford, Robert Deniro, and Meryl Streep, so entertainers were getting them already.  Oddly no, no professional wrestler has ever won one.

Not saying those involved in athletics or entertainment should never get it, but they're pretty far down the line unless they did something that was transcendent. 

And The Rock will get it one day. I'll bet you $1,000 right now that happens!

So a lot of wiggle room there as far as eligibility.  Frankly though, I'm not sure a coach who had two games against the Jets this year and still had a losing record should qualify.

:lmao:

2 minutes ago, briantw said:

If anyone deserves a Medal of Freedom, I think we can all agree it's Stone Cold Steve Austin.  He even gave Trump a stunner!

Rudy did call for a trial by combat, so Stone Cold was President all along and it was actually stolen from him?

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Rudy did call for a trial by combat, so Stone Cold was President all along and it was actually stolen from him?

I'm a big fan of his platform of whooping ass but somewhat dubious of the raising hell portion. 

Archived