NFL 2020: Stop the Steel(ers)

Maithanet

So apparently the NFC East isn't quite as hopeless as we'd thought?  Still pretty miserable though,  and weirdly enough both the Seahawks and the Steelers had opportunities to put the game away in the first half, and failed to do so.  But those wins dramatically increase the chance that one of them will make it to 7-9, which would merely tie the record for worst playoff team ever. 

3 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

So apparently the NFC East isn't quite as hopeless as we'd thought?  Still pretty miserable though,  and weirdly enough both the Seahawks and the Steelers had opportunities to put the game away in the first half, and failed to do so.  But those wins dramatically increase the chance that one of them will make it to 7-9, which would merely tie the record for worst playoff team ever. 

They are both going 9-7.

6 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

They are both going 9-7.

They're really really not.  Washington is not even an average team, they just played a Pittsburgh team that was exhausted and due for a letdown.  WFT has @SF, CAR and SEA, they'll be lucky to even go 2-1 over that stretch.  The Giants are a better team because they at least have a real defense, but they still have Cleveland, Arizona and @ BAL.  In any of those games I could see them getting a win, but those are all teams still in the mix for a playoff spot, and none will be easy.  

Just now, Maithanet said:

They're really really not.  Washington is not even an average team, they just played a Pittsburgh team that was exhausted and due for a letdown.  WFT has @SF, CAR and SEA, they'll be lucky to even go 2-1 over that stretch.  The Giants are a better team because they at least have a real defense, but they still have Cleveland, Arizona and @ BAL.  In any of those games I could see them getting a win, but those are all teams still in the mix for a playoff spot, and none will be easy.  

Wait Washington somehow doesn't have a real defense?  Is this a joke?  Is this some bizarre attempt at reverse jinxing?

Washington has a good D line, and are benefiting from being relatively healthy this late in the year.  But they are not particularly talented as a defense overall, particularly at linebacker.  If that is the strength of the team (and it is), then you are a bad team. 

41 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

WFT has a good interior defense, but the NYG look to have a better overall defense across the field.

Playing an exhausted and injury-depleted Steelers squad flattered the WFT defense a little bit.

This is based on what?  Because it certainly isn't based on stats.

33 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Washington has a good D line, and are benefiting from being relatively healthy this late in the year.  But they are not particularly talented as a defense overall, particularly at linebacker.  If that is the strength of the team (and it is), then you are a bad team. 

So it is a poorly done reverse jinx then.

If Washington's defense played as well as they did last night every week then yes, they would be a very good defense.  But I haven't forgotten how badly they were getting carved up by the Bengals before Burrow got hurt or how they gave up 30 to the Lions, and that's just in the past month. 

WFT has brought us the joy of the comeback story of the year with Alex Smith.  I won't even be sad if they beat SF next week. (Mainly because I'm all in on improving draft position... but also for Alex!)

11 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah I'll definitely be rooting for Football Team on Sunday.

And at this point, don't we all just kind of hope they stick with "Football Team."  

Its grown on me.

Yeah, looks like the NFL/teams still need to tighten things up quite a bit.  I mean, why would anyone (whether it's Dez or Balt. staff or whomever) take an "inconclusive" test to mean it's okay to head to the stadium and mingle?  Doesn't seem like it should be too difficult to understand that an inconclusive result has to be treated as positive until further testing confirms negative?  

I'm actually rather surprised there hasn't been much more COVID-related disruption to this NFL season...but knock on wood because there's still a lot of season left.   

ETA: Just saw that Dez Bryant didn't know the result of the earlier test at all (that was inconclusive) so that's why he went to the stadium and mingled.  That changes things a bit but, I guess, it should still be SOP to behave as if one is positive until confirmed negative, if there's any question at all.  

51 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

Yeah, looks like the NFL/teams still need to tighten things up quite a bit.  I mean, why would anyone (whether it's Dez or Balt. staff or whomever) take an "inconclusive" test to mean it's okay to head to the stadium and mingle?  Doesn't seem like it should be too difficult to understand that an inconclusive result has to be treated as positive until further testing confirms negative?  

I'm actually rather surprised there hasn't been much more COVID-related disruption to this NFL season...but knock on wood because there's still a lot of season left.     

See game six of the World Series...

1 hour ago, Prince of the North said:

ETA: Just saw that Dez Bryant didn't know the result of the earlier test at all (that was inconclusive) so that's why he went to the stadium and mingled.  That changes things a bit but, I guess, it should still be SOP to behave as if one is positive until confirmed negative, if there's any question at all.  

It's not Dez's fault if he didn't know beforehand. That's on the medical staff, and they should have strongly considered canceling the game. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's not Dez's fault if he didn't know beforehand. That's on the medical staff, and they should have strongly considered canceling the game. 

Completely agreed - not blaming Dez.  When I say it should be SOP, I don't mean just for him but for everyone.  If the results of a test are not known, the protocol should be to stay away/separate until confirmed negative.  

Archived