Die Hard is a Christmas Movie

Rhom

1 minute ago, DaveSumm said:

But you’d be very surprised if that were actually the case wouldn’t you? If those sequels were announced? Were you surprised Die Hard 3 wasn’t set at Christmas?

Yes?  But then I wasn't once I knew it wasn't a Die Hard script but instead a script for another movie called Simon Says which they then made into a Die Hard sequel.

36 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Ah OK, so LA Confidential is a Christmas film? The events are set in motion by a brawl that happens as a result of too much eggnog on Christmas Eve. “Bloody Christmas”, the headline reads. No. Because it didn’t need to be Christmas, it could’ve been any other plot device. Just as Kevin could’ve been left Home Alone by any other plot device. Upon learning that Home Alone 3 wasn’t set at Christmas, did everyone say “Wait, what?! How on Earth is he left Home Alone?”

No, because it’s not just a plot point, it’s a consistent plot point. Practically everything is driven by Christmas. The second film is largely the same. As for the third one, the only thing I remember about it is there’s a parrot in it and a young Scarlett Johansson, and I would not have guessed she’d grow up to be an all-time beauty.

29 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

So then there are no christmas movies.  Santa Claus the movie isn't one because conceivably there could be a sequel where he is collecting unemployment in July and getting drunk all the time on his time off so Mrs. Clause forces him into rehab.

Christmas Story isn't one because conceivably there is a sequel where because of societal pressures (and bad parenting) the kid is in high school and snaps and becomes a sociopath and gets a real rifle but doesn't shoot *his* eye out.

Most of the plot of Santa Claus the movie does happen outside Christmas!  The bad guy wants to create Christmas Two in July.

Oh shit... should I have put that in spoilers???

Just now, Rhom said:

Most of the plot of Santa Claus the movie does happen outside Christmas!  The bad guy wants to create Christmas Two in July.

Oh shit... should I have put that in spoilers???

Yeah but that's still a christmas movie because he wants to make Christmas in July.  I'm taslking a movie where like SAnta is just a mean drunk on hiss off time.  Like Leaving Las Vegas just with Santa instead of Nicolas Cage.

14 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

But you’d be very surprised if that were actually the case wouldn’t you? If those sequels were announced? Were you surprised Die Hard 3 wasn’t set at Christmas?

I Just want to point out that A Christmas Story does have a sequel, and I'm not talking about A Christmas Story 2 (and shame on me and anyone else who remembers that exists!)

I'm talking about It Runs In the Family or as it was retitled, My Summer Story. As the latter title suggests, this movie was set in the summer. Even though most of the characters were recast due to the original actors aging out (Jean Shepard returned to narrate and the actress who played Ralphie's teacher reprised her role, every one else was recast) it was still a direct sequel to A Christmas Story.

So , I think this sequel argument is nonsense. Whether a movie is a Christmas movie should be judged on (admittedly subjective) if it feels like a Christmas movie. Only the movie in question itself should be taken into account.

it does not matter that the plot could be achieved without bringing Christmas into the first formula, it just matters that Christmas was brought in and how much the presence of the holiday is felt through the course of the film.

3 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

I Just want to point out that A Christmas Story does have a sequel, and I'm not talking about A Christmas Story 2 (and shame on me and anyone else who remembers that exists!)

I'm talking about It Runs In the Family or as it was retitled, My Summer Story. As the latter title suggests, this movie was set in the summer. Even though most of the characters were recast due to the original actors aging out (Jean Shepard returned to narrate and the actress who played Ralphie's teacher reprised her role, every one else was recast) it was still a direct sequel to A Christmas Story...

Well, now I know what I am doing this weekend.

I had no idea that there was a sequel to A Christmas Story.

Die Hard's Christmas themes are intentional.  It actually addresses this at the beginning of the movie.  Argyle puts on Christmas in Hollis by Run-DMC and McClain complains "Don't you have any Christmas music?" and Argyle replies "This IS Christmas music!" 

McClain thinks that Christmas in Hollis cannot be Christmas music because rap is not Christmasy and this feels like a direct reference to the people who says that Die Hard can't be a "Christmas" movie because it is an action movie.  But Christmas transcends genres, in both film and music. 

Oh good. This old debate again. It's a Christmas movie.

Only barely related, but I watched an episode of Moonlighting for the first time ever recently. It was really good. If most of the episodes are like that, that show might actually be the best work Bruce Willis ever did. 

18 minutes ago, Fez said:

Oh good. This old debate again. It's a Christmas movie.

Only barely related, but I watched an episode of Moonlighting for the first time ever recently. It was really good. If most of the episodes are like that, that show might actually be the best work Bruce Willis ever did. 

I was young, but my parents used to watch it and I watched it with them and remember enjoying it.

36 minutes ago, Fez said:

...Only barely related, but I watched an episode of Moonlighting for the first time ever recently. It was really good. If most of the episodes are like that, that show might actually be the best work Bruce Willis ever did. 

I came back to the States for the  second or third year of that show, and it was about the only scheduled television that I would sit down to watch.  The show had some quality that made it worth the time sat in one place staring at a box.  Both of the leads were quite good to look at, and their relationship was interesting enough to keep the viewers returning for another show.

Archived