Die Hard is a Christmas Movie

Rhom

7 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

The theme is there, but my thesis is that Home Alone is more famous for being a movie about a kid rigging a house. It has value outside of Christmas, and is watched all year round because of it. The movie could, conceivably, not have been set at Christmas and still been good.

I don't think I've ever watched Home Alone outside of the month or so before Christmas. The soundtrack comprises either actual Christmas songs or John Williams' score, medleys from which often appear on Christmas albums. 

7 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Hence my point about sequels: would there be an Elf sequel set in July? Or an Arthur Christmas sequel set in March? No, because at their heart they are about Christmas. Die Hard and Home Alone have both spawned sequels which aren’t set at Christmas, because at their heart, they’re an action movie and a ‘kid lives by himself’ movie. The fact that they were ever capable of spawning such sequels proves, I advocate, that they aren’t Christmas movies.

By this logic, Ernest Saves Christmas isn't a Christmas movie either. And I don't think anything past Home Alone 2 exists. 

9 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Bruce Willis also thought it was a good idea to appear in A Good Day To Die Hard so his judgment clearly can't always be trusted.

It turned a profit and he probably earned over $20 million to be in it. I think his judgment in this case was pretty good (even if the movie wasn't).

38 minutes ago, Ran said:

It turned a profit and he probably earned over $20 million to be in it. I think his judgment in this case was pretty good (even if the movie wasn't).

Perhaps he subscribes to the Michael Caine school of thought on that..."I have never seen the film, but by all accounts it was terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." (on agreeing to star in Jaws: The Revenge)

2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Perhaps he subscribes to the Michael Caine school of thought on that..."I have never seen the film, but by all accounts it was terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." (on agreeing to star in Jaws: The Revenge)

I can almost forgive you for your deal with the devil, because this has always been one of my favorite quotes.

By chance, if I shoot you some day, will you roar like a lion?

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this article by Emily VanDerWerff, thought it should be shared in this thread - The best Christmas movies aren’t about Christmas:

It’s late December, which means it’s time for TV networks to haul out and rerun holiday standards. But what if you're not in the mood for the kinds of holiday cheer whipped up by A Christmas Story or It’s a Wonderful Life? What if you want to celebrate the season with something a little less filled with joy, something set during the season but not really of the season?

Well, have you considered something Christmas-adjacent? The term, which I first encountered in this essay on Die Hard by Zack Handlen, simply means a story that is set, at least in part, during the holiday season but is not dominated by said holidays. It can be an action movie or a horror film. It can even be a downbeat drama. Anything but the usual blast of merrymaking.

Here, then, are nine Christmas-adjacent films that might help you get in the holiday spirit ... but not too much.

Interesting list.  Royal Tenenbaums is one of my favorite movies, seen it dozens of time, can't say I agree with referring to it as even Christmas-adjacent.

How is this even a discussion. Of course Die Hard is a Christmas movie.

@DMC -- thank you for posting that list! I had been meaning to read it yesterday and forgot. I absolutely love the inclusion of The Thin Man in there -- I had forgotten about those scenes until I got to the movie on the list and then immediately remembered them and started chuckling to myself. I think I'm going to watch that one tomorrow (among the many other films that Mr. X and I are planning to have on in the background).

26 minutes ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

How is this even a discussion. Of course Die Hard is a Christmas movie.

@DMC -- thank you for posting that list! I had been meaning to read it yesterday and forgot. I absolutely love the inclusion of The Thin Man in there -- I had forgotten about those scenes until I got to the movie on the list and then immediately remembered them and started chuckling to myself. I think I'm going to watch that one tomorrow (among the many other films that Mr. X and I are planning to have on in the background).

It's kind of odd to see The Royal Tenenbaums on that list, but it has Die Hard and Gremlins on it, so at least the author got something right.

Archived