If GRRM released a new and revised version ASOIAF (Books 1-5), would you read it?

Back in Black-Snow

The title is self-explanatory. If GRRM released a new and updated version of ASOIAF (including all the chapters that were cut), would you read it? Would you buy it?

I'm basically talking about the version that would include all the sample chapters that we have in existence (edited/revised or otherwise).

Would you buy it and take the time to read it?

5 minutes ago, Travis said:

The title is self-explanatory. If GRRM released a new and updated version of ASOIAF (including all the chapters that were cut), would you read it? Would you buy it?

I'm basically talking about the version that would include all the sample chapters that we have in existence (edited/revised or otherwise).

sure. my books are already falling apart and have disgusting, non related cover arts and I still read them. so this would be a good incentive to buy and read something (partially) new.

12 hours ago, Travis said:

I do not think so . It would look like a money grab .

23 hours ago, alienarea said:

He needs to finish TWoW.

YES!!!

If he wants to publish a revised edition and clean up some rough edges, I'd be interested.  But he dam' well better finish the story first: all of it, TWOW and ADOS.

I would only after he finished the whole saga, as it's quite a nicer book to have if it's completed and also I don't have that much money to spend in what I guess would be a really expensive book. But I'd love to see what he would change.

I am not a fan of a revised version of the first five books, at least not before all his other projects are finished, such as the full ASOIAF series, Fire & Blood volume 2 and the Dunk&Egg heptalogy.

With the exception of an official edition of a combined version of A Feast of Crows and A Dance with Dragons (see A Ball of Beasts). This leads to a much better reading experience than the books individually, in my opinion...

Stephen King did something similar with The Stand. But only after it had already been published for several years did he go back and release a more complete version. I would much rather have  the whole story completed first before I get worked up over new versions being published. 

On 12/9/2020 at 6:18 PM, Travis said:

Yes. He would certainly correct many things that drove him in trouble later on.

17 hours ago, PrettyLittlePsycho said:

If he did that before finishing the series, I´d fly over to the US and slap him personally. :D

https://giphy.com/gifs/2p6SXq2yhabo4

Eh, he doesn't owe us anything. If he was just done and said so, I could live with that. Stringing us along for the better part of a decade of "I'm writing" "making progress" "concentrating on my writing" with little to show for us... minus the show and some side books... is what's annoyed me. Maybe Martin has good reasons for not wanting to publish Winds. Cancel culture is probably going to eviscerate anything he publishes. I couldn't blame him for not wanting to go through that.

3 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

Cancel culture is probably going to eviscerate anything he publishes. I couldn't blame him for not wanting to go through that.

This is bonkers. Specially given how progressive he is.

1 hour ago, CamiloRP said:

This is bonkers. Specially given how progressive he is.

Well trying to attribute logic to cancel culture is a mistake. He got slammed for being a racist among other things after he hosted the Hugo Awards earlier this year. So he's already in their crosshairs and a new Song and Fire novel would give them plenty of ammunition to go after him personally and it won't matter how progressive he is.

34 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

Well trying to attribute logic to cancel culture is a mistake. He got slammed for being a racist among other things after he hosted the Hugo Awards earlier this year. So he's already in their crosshairs and a new Song and Fire novel would give them plenty of ammunition to go after him personally and it won't matter how progressive he is.

I very much doubt GRRM cares what the woke crowd on Twitter has to say. Cancel culture can be vicious in small doses, but is a very much overrated phenomenon. It's likely the "too woke for you" contingiant has never picked up any of George's work to begin with, and the author of that insipid article that started the whole "George is rascist" nonsense certainly didn't. The book will be done when it's done, it will be amazing, and the haters will do what they do, so why worry?

Archived