The Challenge: North America's fifth sport (spoilers within)

DanteGabriel

I've had season 18 on as background noise while I work and earlier today I watched the episode where Darrell beats the absolute fuck out of Brad.  Holy shit.  When Brad got wasted and started trying to pick a fight with the entire other team, I instantly remembered that it went bad for him (I've seen this season before several years ago), but damn I forgot just how bad.  His eye was completely swollen shut.  It was definitely the worst real ass kicking this show has seen.  Brad didn't even get a shot in.  He kept needling Darrell, then shoved him, and then Darrell shoved him to the ground and dropped about four bombs right in his fucking face.  

Needless to say, it was awesome.

The quality is garbage, but here's a YouTube version:

On 4/21/2021 at 8:23 PM, briantw said:

I've had season 18 on as background noise while I work and earlier today I watched the episode where Darrell beats the absolute fuck out of Brad.  Holy shit.  When Brad got wasted and started trying to pick a fight with the entire other team, I instantly remembered that it went bad for him (I've seen this season before several years ago), but damn I forgot just how bad.  His eye was completely swollen shut.  It was definitely the worst real ass kicking this show has seen.  Brad didn't even get a shot in.  He kept needling Darrell, then shoved him, and then Darrell shoved him to the ground and dropped about four bombs right in his fucking face.  

Needless to say, it was awesome.

The quality is garbage, but here's a YouTube version:

You and I are in sync, I just watched this episode yesterday! He absolutely lost it mentally and couldn't have picked a worse person to fight. Darrell did good at keeping his cool until Brad put his hands on him, then it was all ass beating.

That final was pretty good, for a minute I actually thought the challengers were going to pull off an upset but the champs pulled through thanks to their scapegoat Susie...

I was really surprised at the finale, I kept waiting for Leroy and Nany to catch them and pull ahead and it never happened. All through the episode I was like, well this is where CT loses, but nope, Amber kept him moving and set the pace and without her they would have lost. CT made the right choice by slowing down Cam and Corey because they could have beat them.

Sucks to see Leroy lose again but he handled it well and never blamed Nany when we all know she held him back.

Corey and Cam did really good together and it would have been really close had they not had to eat more.

So, how long before the next season? Based on that little preview at the end I assume it's already in the works.

@briantw Wow, thanks for posting that. I don't remember if I even saw that season. That may be the most extreme fight I've seen on the Challenge. Even CT knocking out Adam happened in a few seconds. Did Darrell get tossed off the season for that fight, even if he didn't start it?

4 hours ago, dbunting said:

I was really surprised at the finale, I kept waiting for Leroy and Nany to catch them and pull ahead and it never happened. All through the episode I was like, well this is where CT loses, but nope, Amber kept him moving and set the pace and without her they would have lost. CT made the right choice by slowing down Cam and Corey because they could have beat them.

Sucks to see Leroy lose again but he handled it well and never blamed Nany when we all know she held him back.

Corey and Cam did really good together and it would have been really close had they not had to eat more.

So, how long before the next season? Based on that little preview at the end I assume it's already in the works.

I've certainly been on Team Leroy pretty much from the beginning. Seems like Challenge editors did that thing that the Amazing Race sometimes does where they manufacture drama out of temporary confusion from front-runners with a long lead, just to maintain some suspense. After the first day, even before the "dessert" plate got served up, it just seemed to me like CT and Amber had an insurmountable advantage and could only lose if they broke up as a team. They both made the right decision to stick with each other. Amber's long distance running ability proved to be huge, probably even more important than CT's puzzle skill. I didn't think much of Amber as a competitor throughout the season, but she won two eliminations (okay, against the smallest women) and more than held her own in the final.

It's funny about CT's number skills. I had always thought of him as a townie Masshole. I didn't realize his dad owned a telecom business and he was supposed to be the heir apparent. He really is kind of perfect for these challenges, with his strength, cunning, and puzzle skill. I thought being bigger and older would hold him back, but I guess he's pretty well conditioned too.

I'm glad Leroy went out feeling proud. I wouldn't have blamed him for getting a little salty about Nany holding him back, but it wouldn't have been Leroy if he did that. Even if he really does intend to retire I hope he comes back in a little while. Pretty early in the episode I realized that he or Kam, at least, would walk away with $50K.

Overall it was a pretty uplifting end. I liked all the remaining competitors, and it was nice to see Fessy not just fade out, but get mocked by the others. I only wish TJ had torn into him a little more for being a whiny little quitter.

Darrell and Brad both got booted from that season.  Darrell really fucked up, because his team ended up winning and he was arguably their best player.  That being said, it was awesome to see someone finally put Brad in his place.  

Here's what Brad looked like after the fight, by the way:

https://i.redd.it/kmhjwwdfens11.jpg

Amazingly, neither guy was really mad at the other afterward.  Brad admitted that he acted like an asshole and that he had respect for Darrell and Darrell said he liked Brad and regretted demolishing him.

ETA: I'm actually pretty sure that fight was the reason they started adding legit security to the house in future seasons.

18 hours ago, briantw said:

Darrell and Brad both got booted from that season.  Darrell really fucked up, because his team ended up winning and he was arguably their best player.  

Not only that but he had the most money by far at that point, he had just taken out Cohata(?) and had like 37k in the bank. The team had already told him that he wasn't going back in so he could coast to the final. That fight cost him around 80k.

As to CT, yeah from what we are shown in early seasons he is a meat head, but as time goes by you see more and more intelligence. 

What they didn't say is what would have happened to their lead had they split up. I assume that if either had chosen a new partner that they would be starting off at the same time, their lead would be taken away.

Back to watching old seasons again! I think I have a few more I never watched.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had the pleasure of rewatching the infamous Bananas Backpack episode.  It never gets any less amazing.  

Also, the next episode, Tyler references his epic battle with CT and how his body is broken.  Motherfucker, you only had to last twenty seconds against him and you spent all of it lying on the ground.  

The season I am watching is Battle of the Exes 2. Just finished the last episodes Diem and Knight were in. I had to look it up to be sure and yeah, they both died before this season aired, within a couple weeks of each other. Kinda puts a damper on enjoying this season.

You fucking guys are making it hard to resist the subscription, after I'd pledged to add no more streaming subscriptions.

But I do appreciate and enjoy the memories you're bringing back.

2 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

You fucking guys are making it hard to resist the subscription, after I'd pledged to add no more streaming subscriptions.

But I do appreciate and enjoy the memories you're bringing back.

I don't plan on keeping the subscription forever.  Will probably cancel in a month or two once I'm done binging everything I want to see there.  It's a great show to have on in the background for work because I don't have to pay a lot of attention.

On 5/8/2021 at 4:39 PM, briantw said:

I don't plan on keeping the subscription forever.  Will probably cancel in a month or two once I'm done binging everything I want to see there.  It's a great show to have on in the background for work because I don't have to pay a lot of attention.

Same, I am binging while daughter still has it! I did see a news release that they are releasing 1,000 more movies to it in June and will release one mew movie per month starting soon, Top Gun Maverick, A quiet place 2 etc..

Watching Bloodlines right now and it has one of my favorite Challenge "talk to the camera" moments after Cara Maria calls Kellyanne's bloodline the puppet of Johnny Bananas...

Kellyanne: People say that Anthony is Bananas' puppet, but...

Long pause as she ponders the situation.

Kellyanne: I guess he does do a lot of what he says.

The pause is amazing.  Kellyanne's facial expressions really run the gamut as she slowly comes to the realization that Cara might be right.  :lol:

I decided to sign up for the streaming service to get not only the Challenge, but the New York reunion as well.

And then I went and signed up for Discovery+ instead of Paramount+. Too many fucking streaming services.

So I jumped to Challenge  Champs vs Pros... Forgot how good this first cross over was. It had top tier talent from The Challenge and top pro athletes competing against them. After the Pros win the first challenge they get cocky as hell and slowly but surely the eat their crow.  Lolo was even more unlikeable in this season than she just was in Double Agents. At the end of the season she redeems herself but she is just a self centered ass for most of the season.

Then I jumped to season 2 of this and man it goes off the rails real quick. I am not done with this re watch yet but IIRC the champs never lose a challenge. So far they are dominating. The only reason they are down players is alcohol, injury, and personal issue. This seasons diva is definitely Terrell Owens, shocking I know. Although I guess what Lil Romeo does is really just as bad or worse and I'd be pissed if I was Zach. Romeo thinks he gets intentionally elbowed in a challenge and goes and gets a body guard and comes back demanding to see the footage to see how he will respond? I mean fuck you for going to get a body guard and coming back. If I was Zach I would have been pissed at the MTV crew for allowing that guy in, he isn't part of the competition and said to Zach, if you did this on purpose I'm coming for you. That was pretty messed up and weird because during the season Romeo seems very down to earth and likeable, but once he thinks he was wronged he puffs up and finds someone to fight his battle for him.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2021 at 6:29 AM, dbunting said:

So I jumped to Challenge  Champs vs Pros... Forgot how good this first cross over was. It had top tier talent from The Challenge and top pro athletes competing against them. After the Pros win the first challenge they get cocky as hell and slowly but surely the eat their crow.  Lolo was even more unlikeable in this season than she just was in Double Agents. At the end of the season she redeems herself but she is just a self centered ass for most of the season.

Then I jumped to season 2 of this and man it goes off the rails real quick. I am not done with this re watch yet but IIRC the champs never lose a challenge. So far they are dominating. The only reason they are down players is alcohol, injury, and personal issue. This seasons diva is definitely Terrell Owens, shocking I know. Although I guess what Lil Romeo does is really just as bad or worse and I'd be pissed if I was Zach. Romeo thinks he gets intentionally elbowed in a challenge and goes and gets a body guard and comes back demanding to see the footage to see how he will respond? I mean fuck you for going to get a body guard and coming back. If I was Zach I would have been pissed at the MTV crew for allowing that guy in, he isn't part of the competition and said to Zach, if you did this on purpose I'm coming for you. That was pretty messed up and weird because during the season Romeo seems very down to earth and likeable, but once he thinks he was wronged he puffs up and finds someone to fight his battle for him.

TO: I didn't ask to be here.
CT: Well I didn't burn seventy million dollars.

Fucking savage.

I also loved when Bananas made the jab at CM Punk about going to get his ass beat in UFC. 

On 5/28/2021 at 6:54 PM, briantw said:

TO: I didn't ask to be here.
CT: Well I didn't burn seventy million dollars.

Fucking savage.

I also loved when Bananas made the jab at CM Punk about going to get his ass beat in UFC. 

I remembered the TO confrontation (if you didn't ask to be there why the fuck did you go on?) but forgot that CM Punk had even been there.

I've finally started watching All Stars. It helped to recognize that it's like a... senior version of the regular Challenge with toned down physical tests.

What did not get toned down, though, was the language. It's great to hear them cursing after 20 years of being bleeped or edited. So much fun. Arissa going off on everyone else was amazing. I wish we could have CT and Josh on a show that doesn't get bleeped.

• 1 month later...

Archived