Most powerful house(s) besides Targaryens during first Blackfyre rebellion period?

Any thoughts on most powerful house(s) besides Targs during first Blackfyre rebellion period? For example the Hightowers/Valeryons were the most powerful during the Dance and the Lannister/Tyrells during the WO5k, once the Baratheon's lose control of the throne.

Obviously the Martels are married to the crown at this time and have influence at court but due to there isolation and small population, they wouldn’t be able to project that much power?

Could the Tyrells have been overpowered by Dearon I, giving Leo Longthorn the power to dip toes in both camps and show up late but still get kudos from loyalist?

The Arryn’s we’re given a royal marriage and maybe lord Donnel was given a court title for his contribution at the redgrass field?

14 hours ago, The Merling King said:

Could the Tyrells have been overpowered by Dearon I, giving Leo Longthorn the power to dip toes in both camps and show up late but still get kudos from loyalist?

The Tyrells were just emerging. The Blackfyre rebellion was the first time the Tyrells got involved, and using the fracture of the Reach during it they basically solidified power. However keep in mind that they were badly fractured, so not that much power.

On 12/11/2020 at 2:20 AM, Alyn Oakenfist said:

The Tyrells were just emerging. The Blackfyre rebellion was the first time the Tyrells got involved, and using the fracture of the Reach during it they basically solidified power. However keep in mind that they were badly fractured, so not that much power.

The Tyrells most likely ascended to royal favor during the reign of Daeron I. They were viceroys of Dorne before shit hit the fan. Leo Longthorn seems to be well respected by both the blacks and reds in THK and TSS, which is suprising if he wouldn’t commit fully to the loyalist until the RGF or he betrayed the rebels when he found out Daemon died. For all we know, he could be married or related to a Hightower or Redwyne. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, nickdt said:

House Darry was also a powerful house, since historically, they had been one of the more prominent houses until the fall of the Targaryens during Roberts Rebellion. 

More powerful and influential than they are now, but don't seem to be prominent in Westeros. There are at least 5 Riverland Houses they would have been behind.

5 hours ago, nickdt said:

House Darry was also a powerful house, since historically, they had been one of the more prominent houses until the fall of the Targaryens during Roberts Rebellion. 

House Darry most likely supported the Targaryens in all the Blackfyre Rebellions and remained in royal favor up until Robert’s rebellion.

5 hours ago, Bernie Mac said:

More powerful and influential than they are now, but don't seem to be prominent in Westeros. There are at least 5 Riverland Houses they would have been behind.

Tully, Blackwood, Bracken, Frey, Lothstrom, Butterwell...

I assume the Valeryons and Baratheon’s were powerful and influential during this period but we don’t know when the Valeryons finally fell to 3rd class lords and if it happened before Robert’s Rebellions or when the Baratheon’s came back into the crowns good graces, even though I cant imagine Aegon III or Viserys holding a grudge against the infant son of Borros Baratheon. However in The Hedge Knight, there is no mention of Lionel Baratheon having any close ties or affection for the Targeryen princes at the Ashfird tourney.

Im surprised we don’t know more about the small council during the time of Daeron II as it wouldn’t ruin any future D&E novels but I guess we will have to wait for F&B II for more info regarding the historical Small Council and Kingsgard from Aegon III to Aerys II.

Archived