Matt Smith, Olivia Cooke, Emma D’Arcy Cast in House of the Dragon

Westeros

19 hours ago, Eltharion21 said:

It doesn't work if children look Targaryen, since then they could have seed they look like mother and "seed is strong" or something.

Thing with first three children of Rhaenyra is that they don't look at all like their supposed father or mother.

One thing is the viewers to have insight in true parentage , other is that Aemond calling his nephews Strongs, reasons for animosity and Lords supporting the Aegon ,  Ser Vaemond Velaryon's claim etc.

Whole story change seems unnecessary and creates domino effect, which would create more issues along the way.

There is no chance that we won't know who the father of Rhaenyra's sons is. This is not going to be a mystery people have to figure out by looking at their parents. We'll get sex scenes and talks where things will be confirmed, like we did with the parentage of Cersei's children. This won't be a history show where people are quoting Mushroom and Eustace, it will be a proper show with a proper story where things will be shown.

In that sense, this entire argumentation makes little sense.

And of course it could work if Rhaenyra's sons looked like her and not like Laenor - because people could simply expect them to be as black as Laenor - if he, as Corlys' son, would also be black in the show (assuming the stuff about Corlys is even accurate).

But they could also have a black Corlys/Laenor, a Valyrian Rhaenyra, and sons with white skin, brown eyes, and brown hair. Then they would not look like Laenor nor Rhaenyra. The only difference would be that Laenor and Rhaenyra wouldn't look alike ... but that's not a crucial plot point.

2 hours ago, Bael's Bastard said:

It's honestly not a big deal if Corlys is mixed, as it neither affects the past nor future of House Velaryon or House Targaryen. Does it really radically change anything if Addam, Alyn, Laena, and Laenor have one Summer Islander grandparent? Does it radically change anything for Daemon and Laena's kids to have one Summer Islander great-grandparent? Does it radically change Laenor's alleged kids that one of their either grandparent was Summer Islander? I don't see how.

I agree, it really isn't a big deal. 

Production News:

The old and reliable on-site reporter for BloodMoon, "BloodMoonIRL", has rebranded as just "Set Locations IRL", and he found some new behind the scenes info - read this whole twitter thread:  https://twitter.com/LocationsI/status/1352195406915100672

• The official name of House of the Dragon's production company is "Cross Plains Productions". Just as Game of Thrones' was "Fire & Blood Productions" and BloodMoon was "Endless Winter Productions".  It even has the same street address and legal staff as the first two.
  • I'm not sure if they're "the same company" or just registered at the same place. As it turns out, it was technically registered in 2017 as "Uncle Bob Productions" and was the production company on HBO's "Chernobyl".  They renamed it this month to "Cross Plains Productions". 
  • Set construction seems imminent: there are online job postings on LinkedIn and Production-Hive for stage crew like drivers, stonemasons, COVID advisors, and production coordinators.
  • Some of the job listings specify "February 8 through May"
  • There's been some activity at the old King's Landing sets in Belfast, though whether they're using the sets or packing them up for transport is difficult to determine. But there are suddenly white production tents being set up there.

Production from February to May seems unusually short; it took Game of Thrones about five to six months, not three.,...in its later seasons. Closer to four around Season 3.  Usually from July to November.

The actual episodes would then premiere - usually - about four months after filming wrapped.

Then again the story of Rogue Prince is fairly "contained" and interior dramas at King's Landing and Dragonstone.

....and this is just filming in England. It's possible that Spain filming will extend longer.

Also most of these calls are for set CONSTRUCTION, not necessarily "filming". 

Yeah...even before the pandemic, HBO's execs said they were hoping for a "2022" release, not 2021.  But this isn't going to be a summer release, I think we're back on an "early spring" April premiere date like we usually had for most GoT seasons.

...could they push it to January? I guess that depends on their schedule.

Yeah, I just reread "Fire and Blood" and...

...there's no way around it. They are going to have to completely change the ending of the Dance.

After rereading it, I'm convinced that D&D got their ideas for season 8 from the Dance.

• Tensions between Rhaenyra (Danielle), Daemon (St. Tyrion lol) and. Alicent (Carol) run super high
  • Aegon II (Johnny Boy) doing mostly nothing until the very end where he "shockingly" kills Rhaenyra (Danielle) only for him to almost immediately fuck off
  • Aegon II is murdered and found in the Throne Room (Danielle again)
  • Alicent - after inexplicably avoiding being the opening act of Rhaenyra's mass executions - dies anti-climatically as a nervous wreck (Carol)
  • Both Nettles, Daemon and their dragons go missing (Danielle once again)
  • Rhaenyra's (Danielle....surprised?) self-destructively bad luck with lovers and allies: she falls out with Daemon (Johnny Boy), Criston Cole (somehow St. Tyrion) and Corlys Velaryon (St. Tyrion....don't make me puke)
  • Daemon is killed but neither his body nor his dragon are ever recovered (Danielle...yet again)
  • The traumatized boy everyone forgot (Aegon III/Branbot 2.0) becomes King once Cregan Stark (St. Tyrion...yes, that's the sound of me puking my guts out) and the Lads (Sandra, Super-Arya and Branbot 2.0...which is hilarious) save the day and reestablishes order to King's Landing.
  • Cregan Stark (Sandra, Super-Arya) gets the "girl" (the girl being an independent northern kingdom or the ability to become a sailor without ever being a sailor) and then fucks off so he can live happily ever after.
  • Branbot 2.0's inexplicable hate-obsession with dragons seems to be a reference to Aegon III's fear of dragons and his later reputation as the Dragonbane, the one who ultimately may be responsible for the deaths of the dragons.

I'm sorry but they can't end it the way that they did. All the other stuff may fly over people's heads but people will not like seeing Rhaenyra vs. Alicent only for Rhaenyra to become pathetically paranoid and impatient just so Aegon II can pop up out of nowhere (after seasons of either drinking copious amounts of wine and saying "I don't want it") and kill her.

16 hours ago, Sotan said:

I agree, it really isn't a big deal. 

If anything, having a Summer Islander ancestor simply goes to prove why Rhaenyra's Velaryon kids have brown hair and eyes instead of the silver-gold hair with purple/bluish eyes.

On 1/20/2021 at 12:27 AM, Lord Varys said:

How does black people fit into medieval white society as nobles? 

DISCLAIMER: This is directed to @Daeron the Daring not Lord Varys.

Wait...have you never heard of the Moors? Like never?

The Moors were Muslim Africans who ruled Spain, Sicily, Portugal and other parts of southern Europe for centuries.

Centuries.

There are tapestries and paintings and writings and even family crests of black African nobles -- dressed in European clothing, mind you -- interacting with the French, the English, Germans and northern Italians. I would show you but this forum doesn't agree with posting pictures.

However, this is 2021 so feel free to look it up for yourself. It's all there.

Seriously? Have you never heard of these people? The whole word for brown in the Portuguese, Spanish, French and Italian languages as well as the English word maroon (aka brownish-red) is related to the word Moor. Moreno = Moor, Morocco, Marron/Maroon/Marrone = Morocco/Maroc/Marrakesh.

Why else would there be so much Muslim architecture in southwestern Europe? With all the religious tensions at the time, why would it be okay to copy and appropriate the aesthetic from another religion?

Basically the threat that the Moors presented to Western Europe was equivalent to the threat that the Ottomans posed to Eastern Europe. They were that big of a deal.

As to your question of "how do black people fit into medieval white society as nobles?" Well, that is what Othello, one of the greatest stories of all time with one of the greatest villains of all time, is. Othello is the story of how a rich and powerful black person fits into medieval/renaissance white society. You should at least read the CliffNotes so as to educate yourself.

I'm actually kind of stunned that you're this ignorant. This is old news. Have you never heard of the Reconquista or Spanish Inquisition? That's what the Spanish and Portuguese Christians were fighting against...their black and brown Muslim overlords. They were reconquering the land from the foreign conquerors. Have you never heard of the Spanish Inquisition? That's what it was for...getting rid of all Moorish, non-Christian leftovers.

The Reconquista is a goalpost for the end of the medieval era...just like the Wars of the Roses. That's why it's called a Renaissance. The mostly Christian European population no longer have to worry about bending the knee to Muslim foreigners and can finally focus on other things...like art and hygiene.

Goes to show that our education systems may be more racist and exclusivist than we thought.

@Lord Varys George and many others - including myself - know that a major fear of Europeans and westerners in the medieval, renaissance and even modern eras is being invaded and ruled by black and brown foreigners with strange gods and even stranger lifestyles. "Make America Great Again" is literally the same thing as the Reconquest of Spain and Portugal (aka let's take our country back) and the Crusades (aka get them before they get us).

The Valyrians (Targaryens, Velaryons, Volantenes, Lyseni, Myrish, Tyroshi) should have been dark-skinned Africans of varying shades and sizes. The Egyptians, not the Greeks, are the foundation of western civilization because almost everything the Greeks knew was taught to them by the Egyptians.

It's the perfect climax to the series....especially since the coming war between Aegon and Daenerys is going to have a major religious component.

The Rhoynar are essentially pre-Islamic Arabs. The Ghischari seem to be a different, more modern take on the Middle East: it is hard to overlook the very loud Syrian, Afghani, Iraqi and Iranian similarities. Yi-Ti is a marriage between Imperial China and Imperial Japan, the Dothraki are the Mongols and Asshai is basically India in all but name only. The relationship between the Children of the Forest and the First Men/Andals is basically a retelling of the back-and-forth between Native Americans and European settlers and adventurers.

GRRM missed out on a huge opportunity with the Valyrians. 

4 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

The Moors were Muslim Africans who ruled Spain, Sicily, Portugal and other parts of southern Europe for centuries.

Centuries.

711 AD to 1492 AD. LMAO. 

It is a fascinating period in history, the Moors were a mixture of Arab Syrian (the most famous ruling dynasty), (North African Berbers and black Africans). And yes there was lots of mixing, not just blood, but culture was well.  William IX of Aquitaine's capture of Moorish dancing girls and their attendants (they weren't just dancers-they were singers and poets as well) heavily influenced what would later come to be known as troubadour culture.

I forgot to add, it was the Arabs who rediscovered Greek and Roman literature and Philosophy and translated it into Arabic, and in Spain into various European languages. Most of the foundational scientific concepts that lead to the Renaissance were Arab/Muslim in origin. Not to mention even our numbering system 1,2,3 etc are Arabic numbers; in the middle ages Europeans used Roman numerals, which aren't so good for long division, or complex mathematics. It took a LONG time and several burnings of individuals as heretics before Arabic numerals came into use.  To say that Al-Andalus was the center of learning, and culture in Europe during the middle ages is an understatement. Everyone flocked to Cordoba, Seville, Zaragoza to learn and then take their new found knowledge back to Paris, London etc.  

Has this been discussed yet? I don't really follow House of the Dragon news (just started reading about the Dance of the Dragons, so I can't really participate in the discussion).

It's about the audition tape of the actor who plays Criston Cole. I saved the video which has now been removed (should anyone ask for it): URL

I notice very clearly that they are creating new scenes for House of the Dragon with the unused material from A Song of Ice and Fire. A discussion between Alicent and Criston Cole is based on one of Catelyn's chapters with Brienne. There is a discussion of a murder by a shadow (shadow babies), which I don't think is canon, based on the little I've read about the Dance with Dragons. This worries me.

The scenes between Rhaenyra and Criston, based on A Soiled Knight from A Feast of Crows, does work, in my opinion.  I assume Rheanyra is older in this scene than she was in Fire & Blood (I hope so, anyway).

17 hours ago, $erPounce said:

Has this been discussed yet? I don't really follow House of the Dragon news (just started reading about the Dance of the Dragons, so I can't really participate in the discussion).

It's about the audition tape of the actor who plays Criston Cole. I saved the video which has now been removed (should anyone ask for it): URL

I notice very clearly that they are creating new scenes for House of the Dragon with the unused material from A Song of Ice and Fire. A discussion between Alicent and Criston Cole is based on one of Catelyn's chapters with Brienne. There is a discussion of a murder by a shadow (shadow babies), which I don't think is canon, based on the little I've read about the Dance with Dragons. This worries me.

The scenes between Rhaenyra and Criston, based on A Soiled Knight from A Feast of Crows, does work, in my opinion.  I assume Rheanyra is older in this scene than she was in Fire & Blood (I hope so, anyway).

Alicent and Criston were probably talking about SPOILERSSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERS Blood and Cheese's murders of the Targaryen princes, comparing Blood and Cheese's infiltration of the Red Keep to shadows ENDSPOILERSENDSPOILERSENDSPOILERSENDSPOILERS

But yeah: I'm just as concerned as you are when it comes to them using unused material from A Song of Ice and FireBut it's also possible that they can be taking unused material and using them for audition tapes or "storyboarding"

On 2021. 01. 21. at 10:53 PM, BlackLightning said:

Wait...have you never heard of the Moors? Like never?

Centuries.

There are tapestries and paintings and writings and even family crests of black African nobles -- dressed in European clothing, mind you -- interacting with the French, the English, Germans and northern Italians. I would show you but this forum doesn't agree with posting pictures.

However, this is 2021 so feel free to look it up for yourself. It's all there.

Seriously? Have you never heard of these people? The whole word for brown in the Portuguese, Spanish, French and Italian languages as well as the English word maroon (aka brownish-red) is related to the word Moor. Moreno = Moor, Morocco, Marron/Maroon/Marrone = Morocco/Maroc/Marrakesh.

Why else would there be so much Muslim architecture in southwestern Europe? With all the religious tensions at the time, why would it be okay to copy and appropriate the aesthetic from another religion?

Basically the threat that the Moors presented to Western Europe was equivalent to the threat that the Ottomans posed to Eastern Europe. They were that big of a deal.

As to your question of "how do black people fit into medieval white society as nobles?" Well, that is what Othello, one of the greatest stories of all time with one of the greatest villains of all time, is. Othello is the story of how a rich and powerful black person fits into medieval/renaissance white society. You should at least read the CliffNotes so as to educate yourself.

I'm actually kind of stunned that you're this ignorant. This is old news. Have you never heard of the Reconquista or Spanish Inquisition? That's what the Spanish and Portuguese Christians were fighting against...their black and brown Muslim overlords. They were reconquering the land from the foreign conquerors. Have you never heard of the Spanish Inquisition? That's what it was for...getting rid of all Moorish, non-Christian leftovers.

The Reconquista is a goalpost for the end of the medieval era...just like the Wars of the Roses. That's why it's called a Renaissance. The mostly Christian European population no longer have to worry about bending the knee to Muslim foreigners and can finally focus on other things...like art and hygiene.

Goes to show that our education systems may be more racist and exclusivist than we thought

I've heard of it. And tho you cornered many things for your own interest, you're mostly right.

Still, the case of Corlys (And House Velaryon) is nowhere near to the case of the Iberian Reconquista. The muslim invasion of the entire Iberian Peninsula (and even more) isn't the case of Corlys Velaryon. 

Remember, that the Velaryons always been a great power at sea, mostly focusing at controlling the trading on thr Narrow Sea. Corlys was the first big voyager, who sailed the entire known world. There's no indication any of his descendants ever reached the Summer Islands (for example). It would've been understandable if Corlys himself married a Summer Islander princess, but not his father. 

And this is nothing like having ethnically black nobility in Iberia. If you'd want a similar case, place black nobility in the middle of the HRE, or in Scandinavia, or England. That would've been a case similar to a black Corlys.

Also, even tho the Reconquista happened, the big amount of population (and a very big amount of nobility too) was left with African origins. 

The islamic african nobility you were talking about was mostly overgrown in a short period. They were nowhere as dark-skinned as African Beduins were after a short period. They intermarried with Muslims and native Iberians too.

In the end, their skin was rather a lighter creole than black. And still, the Muslim Invasion of Europe trough Iberia is a historical event, and it can be explained why they had black nobility. Because they were Muslims. And later they too became Christians. They didn't leave everything behind, instead they changed religion.

The Muslim Invasion of Iberia is rather like the Rhoynar invasion of Dorne. Nothing like Corlys being black.

On 2021. 01. 21. at 10:53 PM, BlackLightning said:

The Valyrians (Targaryens, Velaryons, Volantenes, Lyseni, Myrish, Tyroshi) should have been dark-skinned Africans of varying shades and sizes

Alright then.

Again, as I don't expect white people to play the role of a black character, I'd like the same the other way too. That is understandable, I think. 

We've discussed that audition already: no, it's common practice to have audition scenes just using vaguely similar scenes from the books, that have zero relation to the final product. They're only vaguely similar in the sense of tone, to see what the actor is capable of. The information content is just test stuff. They do this all the time.

On 1/27/2021 at 5:01 AM, Daeron the Daring said:

Again, as I don't expect white people to play the role of a black character, I'd like the same the other way too. That is understandable, I think. 

Agree. Imagine if Marvel cast a White man to play Black panther father... I want to watch Westeros not USA. Fuck. House Velaryon have typical Valyrian features, that’s why they marry Targs in the first place - to keep the blood of Old Valyria pure. It’s supposed to be an “exclusive circle”, where no one is allowed and it’s a big deal in “Fire and Blood”. If GRRM envisioned Corlys or Laenor as black people he would’ve had a backstory for it. About the grandkids !  - they could do a reversal like Laenor has a darker completion, and the Strongs are ginger or whatever. The problem is they still miss the point. Shit like this ruins immersion instantly. IF HBO is forcing diversity and changing the race of an established valyrian character imagine what they would do with the extras in the background ( watch The Witcher show on netlix), we Will probably see Black guys in the snow of Winterfell and gingers in the desert od Dorne. I won’t help but think about the US and I’m not even from America.

4 hours ago, ThotKiller said:

Agree. Imagine if Marvel cast a White man to play Black panther father... I want to watch Westeros not USA. Fuck. House Velaryon have typical Valyrian features, that’s why they marry Targs in the first place - to keep the blood of Old Valyria pure. It’s supposed to be an “exclusive circle”, where no one is allowed and it’s a big deal in “Fire and Blood”. If GRRM envisioned Corlys or Laenor as black people he would’ve had a backstory for it. About the grandkids !  - they could do a reversal like Laenor has a darker completion, and the Strongs are ginger or whatever. The problem is they still miss the point. Shit like this ruins immersion instantly. IF HBO is forcing diversity and changing the race of an established valyrian character imagine what they would do with the extras in the background ( watch The Witcher show on netlix), we Will probably see Black guys in the snow of Winterfell and gingers in the desert od Dorne. I won’t help but think about the US and I’m not even from America.

I personally prefer if the adaptations stick close to the material, if they start changing twisting the story to fit better modern sensibilities with racial inclusion of characters whose appearance has impact on the story ( appearance of 3 Velaryon/Strong boys), they might start adding more changes like Rhaenyra fighting for female rights or other ideals. 

Though it is always amusing to see how some arguments get heated in topic of race - in fantasy or various historical settings, reminds me of this scene from French movie:

2 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

The Velaryons aren't really "from" Westeros, they're from the Free Cities. 

We don't know that. It is likelier that the Velaryons moved to Driftmark after Dragonstone was built for an outpost. Maybe it was the Freehold who sent them and the Celtigars there for obvious reasons. I mean, we gotta get a logical explanation on how Celtigars and Velaryons (two Valyrian noble houses) ended up so near to Dragonstone. Tho this is just pure speculation, it seems logical to me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2021 at 10:25 AM, Eltharion21 said:

I personally prefer if the adaptations stick close to the material, if they start changing twisting the story to fit better modern sensibilities with racial inclusion of characters whose appearance has impact on the story ( appearance of 3 Velaryon/Strong boys), they might start adding more changes like Rhaenyra fighting for female rights or other ideals.

There's a difference though between changing what a character does and what their colouring is. The fact that show Daenerys didn't have purple eyes and show Bran didn't have red hair made absolutely no difference to their characters or the story as whole. There's absolutely no reason why changing a fantasy character's skin colour should change their personality, what they do in the story or the story itself.

2 hours ago, Lady_Qohor said:

There's a difference though between changing what a character does and what their colouring is. The fact that show Daenerys didn't have purple eyes and show Bran didn't have red hair made absolutely no difference to their characters or the story as whole. There's absolutely no reason why changing a fantasy character's skin colour should change their personality, what they do in the story or the story itself.

Judging by the casting call leaked by Redanian Intelligence - which so far they seem rather accurate, they are changing essence of a character:

[Corlys aka Corlys Velaryon]

Male 50s -60s

Series Regular Rhaenys's husband and Rhaenyra's right hand. New money. the head of House Velaryon and Lord of the Tides is a self-made man-richer than Lords Lannister and Hightower through his expeditions. He's the only one in this cast who has made his own way-even built his own castle-while everyone around him was simply born into their position. Battle tested and the most experienced seafarer in the known worid, he is married to Princess Rhaenys Targaryen, once the heir to the Iron Throne but passed over due to her gender. It's a slight that has long vexed him, and he deals with it by constantly reaching for more power, position, and recognition even at the expense of his family. He feels like he's the realm's Second Son." 

House Velaryon was closest to the Targaryens in terms of marriage  - likely to replace instance when no sibling for maintaining bloodline pure was available.

Corlys brought House Velaryon to new heights of riches- topping even Lannisters , yet he is no more self made man than Trump or similar rich people who borrowed their first millions from their parents.

Here is a part of his pedigree, he was fine enough match for Rhaenys Targaryen daughter of Aemon Targaryen and Jocelyn Baratheon and  top position for the throne.

Lady Valaena Velaryon, wife of Aerion Targaryen, mother to Aegon I Targaryen, Visenya Targaryen, and Rhaenys Targaryen. Herself half Targaryen on her mother's side.

Master of Ships - Daemon and Aethan Velaryon for Aegon I , Daemon Velaryon for Maegor I later  a hand for Jahaerys I , 

Queen Alyssa Velaryon, his daughter, mother to Rhaena, Aegon, Viserys, Jaehaerys, Alysanne and Vaella Targaryen by King Aenys I Targaryen

Velaryons and their marriage to Targaryens could be considered as much more elitists/traditional than marriage to lesser branch of House Hightower - which better represent majority of Westerosi population.

Some  muppets on reddit are even comparing him to Davos Seaworth as analogue character in ASOIAF - which couldn't be further from the truth.

On 2/3/2021 at 12:35 AM, ThotKiller said:

White people playing roles of POC  sometimes in black/yellow face is literally the entire history of Hollywood right down to today. This is a character that GRRM created, he gets to say who/what Corlys is, he's a producer on this project and is heavily involved-HOTD being one of the shows he pitched with Condal. GRRM is on board, so your examples don't fit here. 

To be honest, I also don't really like the fact that they didn't cast a natural blonde for Daenerys, or that they didn't use shades or CGI or other effects to get the eye colors right. The Witcher could give Yennefer of Vengerberg purple eyes and make Geralt into an albino.

But GoT couldn't really create proper Valyrians or even Lannisters (none of them had green eyes nor did Jaime and Cersei have proper golden hair) ... and with Shireen, not even Baratheons.

That definitely was a letdown. Far from the biggest, mind you, but an adaptation should also do their best to recreate the looks of various characters - especially if most of the descriptions in the source material focus on eye and hair color.

I have to say it's disheartening to see online that people are already claiming the show is going the sjw route, without even waiting for the show to come out. The fuss about casting Corlys Velaryon has black is not a big deal given that this a show, and that the show runners are likely taking created liberties in how too tell the story. The only "quote" legitimate artistic licensing description of Corlys Velaryon that I could find were black and white illustration by Doug Wheatley and it was in Fire & Blood page 602, with his death shown collapsing on the steps has a old man. 

Archived