Cyberpunk 2077 [split from video games]

C.T. Phipps

8 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Love the tense high-speed conversations in gigs. I just had a gun pointed at me by a female cop. Got 5 k for the job, too, without firing a single bullet. That's a lot of money to me as I only had 1 k. I haven't looked up very many mechanics and just discovered as well on that job that Technical is how you pick locks. I had actually gotten that as one of my second best attributes since it seemed a good idea for a hacker. I was one short of being able to pick this lock on the mission, but lucked out and noticed I had levelled. 

Did that one too, but sort of picked the wrong dialog choice and killed her. Oops.

Spoiler

Apparently if you convince her to leave Night City, if you wait 48 hours outside of the apartment block and then go back in and rummage around, you'll find the dumped bodies of a corrupt NCPD cop and a thug who apparently were goin to whack her, but thanks to your tip she got the drop on them before getting out of town.

After an upgraded cyberdeck and some additional quickhacks -- Whistle is damned useful given the simplistic NPC model where one random guy will just leave and not get the others he's chatting with to come look with him, just bring someone over and stealth kill them, rinse and repeat. 

I've done a few more gigs to up my credits and also to actually practice my stealthing before proceeding with the story mission. 

Spoiler

The lighting in the Mox sequence, talking about the job with Evelyn in the booth, was just gorgeous. Can't imagine how much better it would have looked on a good HDR-capable monitor.

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

Yes and no. I do think the narrative urgency of the main quest (for all you're told it'll be weeks, maybe months, before it's a problem) makes taking 80+ hours off to do side-jobs feel really odd, and doing the side-jobs in Watson before then makes more sense. OTOH, the side-jobs in Watson make up maybe 10% of everything there is to do in the game (if you're being very generous), so it doesn't make much odds.

I did find the extra XP very handy. I started off speccing for combat, switched to stealth and then switched to hacking, because that electro-shock attack is pretty handy (allowing you to take 30-50% of an enemy's HP down before they even know you're there).

Yeah, I mean I dicked around for a good six hours before finally doing The Heist, but after that and the linear sequence that follows it, the game truly opens up and gives you just a ridiculous amount of shit to do.  I much preferred all the additional options given to me as opposed to prior to that when I basically had a few gigs and the main quest.  

Spoilers for The Heist and the end of Act 1:

Spoiler

I do find it kind of funny that, after horribly botching The Heist, seemingly being blamed for killing one of the most powerful men in the world, and getting my fixer killed, other fixers are lining up to give me additional jobs.

3 minutes ago, briantw said:

Spoilers for The Heist and the end of Act 1:

Reveal hidden contents

I do find it kind of funny that, after horribly botching The Heist, seemingly being blamed for killing one of the most powerful men in the world, and getting my fixer killed, other fixers are lining up to give me additional jobs.

I'm only a little past that...

Spoiler

I just met Takamura at the diner and decided to fuck around some more with side jobs before trying to find Parker or Hemmell (it even seemed to make sense story-wise; yes there's a ticking clock, but to me V wanted to clear her head before dealing with any of that). It hasn't been clear to me if anyone knows V was involved at all. Maybe Arasaka does, but I wasn't sure if they were trying to kill V or just trying to kill Takamura (I assume he's been made into the fall guy). Somehow Arasaka, or maybe just Takamura, found out about Dex; but Dex is dead and I don't know if there were any links back to V that anyone would be able to see. And even if Arasaka does know, it seems like the kind of thing they wouldn't want to broadcast too heavily.

I don't want spoilers, in case this is cleared up later. But from where I am, it seems plausible that only Takamura, Victor, and Misty (and Evelyn Parker) know that there's anything special about V.

33 minutes ago, Fez said:

I'm only a little past that...

Hide contents

I just met Takamura at the diner and decided to fuck around some more with side jobs before trying to find Parker or Hemmell (it even seemed to make sense story-wise; yes there's a ticking clock, but to me V wanted to clear her head before dealing with any of that). It hasn't been clear to me if anyone knows V was involved at all. Maybe Arasaka does, but I wasn't sure if they were trying to kill V or just trying to kill Takamura (I assume he's been made into the fall guy). Somehow Arasaka, or maybe just Takamura, found out about Dex; but Dex is dead and I don't know if there were any links back to V that anyone would be able to see. And even if Arasaka does know, it seems like the kind of thing they wouldn't want to broadcast too heavily.

I don't want spoilers, in case this is cleared up later. But from where I am, it seems plausible that only Takamura, Victor, and Misty (and Evelyn Parker) know that there's anything special about V.

So not spoiling anything after the end of act one here...

Spoiler

I was a little confused as to who exactly gets hit with the blame for the murder.  Dex obviously seems to blame V, but Takemura clearly knows that it wasn't you and it seems like he was in fact made to be the fall guy by Arasaka.  You'd think the fact that I killed about forty guys leaving the hotel after stealing valuable Arasaka tech would make me look pretty guilty, but who knows?

I did find the extra XP very handy. I started off speccing for combat, switched to stealth and then switched to hacking, because that electro-shock attack is pretty handy (allowing you to take 30-50% of an enemy's HP down before they even know you're there)

Have yet to run in to enemy hackers (Possibly there was one in opening mission, but I didn't notice in the chaos), but I suspect I-Spy is another low level quick-hack that will be very useful for non-hacker characters to acquire. To detect enemy hackers and thus work on eliminating them. It's pretty easy to get, 5 Intelligence. Maybe Ping as well.

45 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Well I tried a few hours of melee and damn is it fun in this game. You just keep moving and you don't stop until everything is dead. Pure chaos but it keeps working.

There's a perk in the blades tree that is awesome for a melee build.  You can get a 30% armor boost while moving if you spend two perk points in it.

2 hours ago, briantw said:

So not spoiling anything after the end of act one here...

Reveal hidden contents

I was a little confused as to who exactly gets hit with the blame for the murder.  Dex obviously seems to blame V, but Takemura clearly knows that it wasn't you and it seems like he was in fact made to be the fall guy by Arasaka.  You'd think the fact that I killed about forty guys leaving the hotel after stealing valuable Arasaka tech would make me look pretty guilty, but who knows?

Yeah, it definitely looks like:

Spoiler

Takemura gets the blame for the murder.

I stealthed my way out of the building afterwards (just knocking out the guys you couldn't sneak past and only killing the guys right at the very end around the car), but I assume that's around the same time that Takemura got the blame and high-tailed it out of there as well, so any deaths or inexplicable knock-outs got blamed on him. I assume Takemura nuked the cam footage even if you don't.

As of right now, Araska doesn't even seem to know that V exists, only the chip was stolen, Saburo is dead and Takemura is AWOL.

8 hours ago, Werthead said:

You can hack encrypted data cards the same way you hack everything else, by matching up the numbers and letters. I believe with the cards you need to hack both lines simultaneously to fully unlock them, unlike other things where you only need to unlock one line to trigger that effect.

I couldn't figure out where to start the process though. Like is there a section in your inventory for "key items?" I couldn't find anything. 

Just pushed through to the title card. That is a looooong sequence, but so, so awesome. Cinematic as hell.

Spoiler

Did not manage to perfectly stealth my way out of the hotel, but mostly. Didn't even try to kill the people around the Delamain, just went into it with Jackie. His death was touchingly done, and the lighting in this thing is just nuts.

As to the question of who knows what:

Spoiler

I mean, Takemura calls Yorinobu Arasaka -- at least, I assume it's Yorinobu and not some other son of Saburo Arasaka -- and tells him he found the killer and is certain that he has found him. So... at least at this point, it seems that Arasaka sends assassins to kill both Takemura and V so he can pin Takemura as the inside man and V as the assassin. Or? Or is it that Takemura led him to believe that Dex was the killer and somehow they have no clue about V still?

23 hours ago, briantw said:

Really wish I had done a little research on the throwing knives skill.  Ridiculous that your knife just disappears after throwing it.  I have to think that's a bug because it would be an idiotic fucking design choice.

I guess maybe it will be more viable late game when I have a lot of cash but I've found exactly one knife so far and the cost to buy them would quickly make trying to stockpile prohibitive.

Just saw this article about it. Apparently there's another perk that auto-disassembles junk that can lose you a lot of money. 

A Warning To Avoid Cyberpunk 2077’s Actively Harmful Skill Perk

15 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Time to actually toot my own work horn here. I designed and am the tech lead for the service on Xbox that does automated refunding. We refunded 99% of all cyberpunk refund requests automatically and within minutes, with no calling support or doing anything more than going to a webpage. 

2 minutes ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

Time to actually toot my own work horn here. I designed and am the tech lead for the service on Xbox that does automated refunding. We refunded 99% of all cyberpunk refund requests automatically and within minutes, with no calling support or doing anything more than going to a webpage. 

Maybe you can't answer this, but how much worse would the game have had to run on the base consoles from last gen for Microsoft (and Sony) to have straight up just denied certification for those versions?

3 minutes ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

Wish Sony had that. I don't look forward to going through the process. Not sure if it's worth it given I will likely play it on a PS5 down the road sometime.

Trying to get a headshot on the Xbox One at a distance greater than a few feet is fucking hilarious. Can't recall the last time I played a game this fucked up on a consol. Gonna have to stealth katana everything if i keep trying to play.

Archived