Cyberpunk 2077 [split from video games]

C.T. Phipps

I generally try to avoid triggering the police. The only point it becomes difficult is if I decide to break up an assault in progress... but without actually getting close enough for it to realize that that is what I'm doing, so sniping from across the street has gotten police on me once.

1 minute ago, Ran said:

I generally try to avoid triggering the police. The only point it becomes difficult is if I decide to break up an assault in progress... but without actually getting close enough for it to realize that that is what I'm doing, so sniping from across the street has gotten police on me once.

Yeah consider the game pretty much lets you outright murder anyone with a bounty on them without consequence, I've yet to have the police called on me.  The only time I've even gotten into an altercation with them was when the city first opened up to me in act one and I got too close to a crime scene and the cops decided that instead of warning me to back up they should just unload on me. 

12 minutes ago, briantw said:

Yeah consider the game pretty much lets you outright murder anyone with a bounty on them without consequence, I've yet to have the police called on me.  The only time I've even gotten into an altercation with them was when the city first opened up to me in act one and I got too close to a crime scene and the cops decided that instead of warning me to back up they should just unload on me. 

Reminds me of my first wander out of my megabuilding, skipping taking the ride with Jackie (reminds me, I need to look up a Youtube video to see what's discussed during the ride to Vik's), and almost immediately getting chased a block by Trauma Team when I jumped off a ledge not realizing they had a cordon set under me.

22 minutes ago, Ran said:

There's one bit during the first Delamain mission when you get tricked into a fight in Pacifica in the middle of a crowded marketplace, and rather than run off people dive under tables and into tents, or just freeze in terror. It's very hard to not hit standers-by and if the enemy do that, the police show up to arrest or kill everyone (including you). That's where I triggered the police.

The only way around it was to run out of the area when the bad guys showed up in their cars and then sneak around the outside of the market, picking enemies off with quickhacks rather than combat. You can also draw the enemies out and get them to chase you up the road where there aren't any passers-by hanging out. 

3 minutes ago, Werthead said:

picking enemies off with quickhacks rather than combat

Ah, music to my ears. I've been doing this after I blew 45k eddies on cyberware, including an upgraded deck. Overheating mooks until they're incapacitated while their buddies look on is silly fun. 

30 minutes ago, Ran said:

I've only got it once so far. It was a gig to kill a club owner, and I think it was supposed to be a sneaking mission because there's a ton of enemies on the ground floor. But I just went in guns blazing. Problem was, there's a bunch of civilian NPCs in the club too; and they aren't great at avoiding gunfire.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Reminds me of my first wander out of my megabuilding, skipping taking the ride with Jackie (reminds me, I need to look up a Youtube video to see what's discussed during the ride to Vik's), and almost immediately getting chased a block by Trauma Team when I jumped off a ledge not realizing they had a cordon set under me.

Lucky for me I had saved about a minute before riling up the cops, and reloading on GFN takes like five seconds, so I just did that rather than get into a big fight I wasn't sure I was leveled enough for.  

I tried the shooting range side quest last night and I guess I just don't have a good enough pistol yet because I tried that fucker five times and couldn't get a win.  Guess I'll have to do it later.

I also noticed that I somehow hadn't leveled up athletics past level one despite lots of running, jumping, and climbing, plus a fair dash of melee combat, so I spent five minutes punching a wall.  It's dumb how easily you seem to level up all your other skills compared to athletics.

It's interesting looking at achievements on Steam, as they list percentages.

My most "common" one so far is Stainslavski's Method, using my lifepath (Corpo, in my case) dialog option ten times or more. 16.6% of players have done that one.

Spoiler

Stealing the Relic has so far been done by only 11.9% of players so far, which is interesting to me. 

My rarest achievement so far is breaching while simultaneously uploading three daemons -- just 4.7% have done that one so far (I love hacking and have really gotten into stealthing things). 

Another rare one is killing two enemies with the same sniper shot (a charged shot from my trusty tech sniper, through a door and two Malestrom heads), 5.9% have that one.

Also just did my ... third, now, cyberpsycho, which was a cool one because it tied into the Heist:

Spoiler

Psycho Malestrom who split off when Brick looked weak and Royce was moving to take over, hopped himself up on too many drugs and implants. But he had his local gang with him, so all the sudden in the middle of the fight a second guy was swinging at me, and then others were blasting at me from range. Cool fight design there.

It's been virtually impossible to get myself to actually get very far in side gigs, because all these other gigs keep popping up drawing me away. Did learn more about Johnny from a mission involving bootlegs of early Samurai concerts. Finally gotten onto the Delamain quest path, but need to boost a car to make the hike to the first case (do fast transport points open up only after you enter a new district?)

3 minutes ago, Ran said:

Reveal hidden contents

Psycho Malestrom who split off when Brick looked weak and Royce was moving to take over, hopped himself up on too many drugs and implants. But he had his local gang with him, so all the sudden in the middle of the fight a second guy was swinging at me, and then others were blasting at me from range. Cool fight design there.

It's been virtually impossible to get myself to actually get very far in side gigs, because all these other gigs keep popping up drawing me away. Did learn more about Johnny from a mission involving bootlegs of early Samurai concerts. Finally gotten onto the Delamain quest path, but need to boost a car to make the hike to the first case (do fast transport points open up only after you enter a new district?)

Why do you need to boost a car? I don't believe there's any point in the game where you're without your own vehicle.

Oh, unless you haven't called Jackie's mother and picked up her gift from outside your apartment. If you do that, you'll have your own secondary vehicle.

Just now, Werthead said:

Why do you need to boost a car? I don't believe there's any point in the game where you're without your own vehicle.

Oh, unless you haven't called Jackie's mother and picked up her gift from outside your apartment. If you do that, you'll have your own secondary vehicle.

Ah-ha! I did call her, but I got distracted and didn't visit. That explains that... hmm.

2 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I had to go to her bar and do a side quest to get the gift.  It depends on what you tell Delemain to do after The Heist. 

1 minute ago, briantw said:

I had to go to her bar and do a side quest to get the gift.  It depends on what you tell Delemain to do after The Heist. 

Oh, interesting. 

Spoiler

I sent his body to his family. The other options were Misty or Vik, right? And speaking of Misty, she's very chill and very, very New Age-y.

10 minutes ago, Ran said:

Oh, interesting. 

Hide contents

I sent his body to his family. The other options were Misty or Vik, right? And speaking of Misty, she's very chill and very, very New Age-y.

If you did that, you should get the same side quest I did. It's called Heroes. 

6 hours ago, briantw said:

I tried the shooting range side quest last night and I guess I just don't have a good enough pistol yet because I tried that fucker five times and couldn't get a win.  Guess I'll have to do it later.

I couldn't do it when I was trying to hit each target once and move on to the next, but it seems like you can hit each target multiple times before it folds back. I did it with a pistol I picked up in Judy's room. 

56 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I couldn't do it when I was trying to hit each target once and move on to the next, but it seems like you can hit each target multiple times before it folds back. I did it with a pistol I picked up in Judy's room. 

Yeah, I managed to win it first try with a smart pistol I had picked up along the way on the theory that they fire pretty rapidly. The actual weapon is junk, though, sadly. Poor, sad sack Wilson.

I have to say..  I'm enjoying playing this but also disappointed at the same time. Its mostly a fun game that's gta in the future. But I was hoping for real choice and options not just slightly varying ways of killing people. Basically i wanted a new Torrment. But oh well this is still quite good in its way.

Also on side note does anyone else find it weird that in a game where the commercials tell how you can be whatever you want; you literally cannot modify your character outside of gear in any way past character creation? Just seems like an odd design choice.

4 hours ago, Ran said:

Oh, interesting. 

Yup.

Spoiler

Jackie's bike is an excellent vehicle and a huge improvement over V's basic car, and allows you to go offroad in the Badlands which allows you to cover a lot more distance quickly. It's a bit spotty in the city though, and you can't drive it into crowded areas.

I have to say..  I'm enjoying playing this but also disappointed at the same time. Its mostly a fun game that's gta in the future. But I was hoping for real choice and options not just slightly varying ways of killing people. Basically i wanted a new Torrment. But oh well this is still quite good in its way.

I mean, it is? There are moral choices (the yin/yang symbol that appears next to certain dialogue options) and they feed into an unseen score that becomes relevant in the endgame (I believe) and also impacts your character's relationship with other people. How you treat people, what options you choose to make during missions and so on can lock or unlock entire quest-chains and romance options.

It doesn't go into this as far as I like, but it's certainly there.

Spoiler

Like PS:T, the game gets very heavily into metaphysical stuff of life and death, choice and consequence and whether you're really alive or not, or if Silverhand is.

Also on side note does anyone else find it weird that in a game where the commercials tell how you can be whatever you want; you literally cannot modify your character outside of gear in any way past character creation? Just seems like an odd design choice.

You can modify your character through mods and upgrades. You can also add tattoos, although in the game they're like dermal implants and give you bonuses. There aren't any tattoo parlours though (they've presumably been made obsolete by the easy-add dermal implants).

You can't get a haircut though, which is weird. I've seen some people complaining about not being able to modify your body type like in San Andreas through eating or exercise, but canonically CP77 takes place over a few weeks (outside of the prologue), so that would make less sense.

That's why character creation is so in-depth, because once you've made your choices you have them permanently (you can totally respec your stats though).

13 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

I have similar thoughts. I like the game a lot and am glad I bought it, but it was pitched as an rpg and is based off of one. They could have been more upfront about what kind of game they were making.

I restarted the game about 8 hours in when I realized I couldn't change my look, went corpo origin the 2nd time and am glad i did, but I'm never falling for the X different backgrounds marketing shtick again. It is a present part of the game and adds a role playing element that's appreciated, but I gotta stop buying into the dev promises. Dragon Age Origins was the same way.

Archived