Cyberpunk 2077 [split from video games]

C.T. Phipps

It's definitely not at the same level of something like Deus Ex or Dishonored. the flip side is that there's so much you can do, a whole lot of the game is entirely up to your choice as to how to play it. 

26 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I have similar thoughts. I like the game a lot and am glad I bought it, but it was pitched as an rpg and is based off of one. They could have been more upfront about what kind of game they were making.

I restarted the game about 8 hours in when I realized I couldn't change my look, went corpo origin the 2nd time and am glad i did, but I'm never falling for the X different backgrounds marketing shtick again. It is a present part of the game and adds a role playing element that's appreciated, but I gotta stop buying into the dev promises. Dragon Age Origins was the same way.

I think they intended to do more with the different backgrounds (as in several hours of gameplay for each one) but it got cut due to time constraints.

18 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I get that feeling too. At several points.

That montage felt like it was designed to be played.  

Also, Jackie's mom talks to you like she knows you well when, in the game, you've never met her outside of seeing her for a second in said montage.

3 minutes ago, briantw said:

That montage felt like it was designed to be played.  

Also, Jackie's mom talks to you like she knows you well when, in the game, you've never met her outside of seeing her for a second in said montage.

And the sequences after 

Spoiler

Dexter pulls you outta the dumpster

Feel all kinds of hacked together in post. 

I also got my first 'gotta restart' bug, where for some reason my 'get item' inventory screen would show this massive list of stuff that had everything previously that I had ever gotten. Oops.

12 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

And the sequences after 

Hide contents

Dexter pulls you outta the dumpster

Feel all kinds of hacked together in post. 

That I'm less sure about.  I think maybe they just didn't want to have a fifteen minute driving sequence to get back into the city during a linear mission sequence that is around two hours long as it is between The Heist and all that follows before chapter two officially begins.

6 minutes ago, briantw said:

That I'm less sure about.  I think maybe they just didn't want to have a fifteen minute driving sequence to get back into the city during a linear mission sequence that is around two hours long as it is between The Heist and all that follows before chapter two officially begins.

Spoiler

I mean the Japanese dude. He talks like he knows me.

12 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Reveal hidden contents

Ah okay that makes more sense then.  I was thinking you were referencing the cuts during the car ride.

2 hours ago, Slurktan said:

I have to say..  I'm enjoying playing this but also disappointed at the same time. Its mostly a fun game that's gta in the future. But I was hoping for real choice and options not just slightly varying ways of killing people. Basically i wanted a new Torrment. But oh well this is still quite good in its way.

Also on side note does anyone else find it weird that in a game where the commercials tell how you can be whatever you want; you literally cannot modify your character outside of gear in any way past character creation? Just seems like an odd design choice.

There actually do seem to be a decent amount of choices, especially once you get into Act II. But they are almost entirely in the main jobs and the side jobs. The gigs and NCPD events don't matter at all, and do get kinda dull after a while; just an excuse to grind xp and money. The only RPG aspect to them is the combat side, deciding which skills to use and how.

In the main jobs and side jobs though, there really have been more and more opportunities to shape things. I assume the general course of the game never changes dramatically, I can't imagine there's anything like the different Act 2s of The Witcher 2. But the characters do start treating you differently depending on how you act, and its subtle sometimes. Asking or not asking different blue text dialog options can have an impact, it's not always just the "tell me more" button that it looks like. And its not always clear until after the fact whether you're in an important conversation like that, one that matters, or not. I've also found at least one mission that completing it non-violently mattered; and there was no mention at the start that was an option/path.

I do find it weird that there's no post-character creator ability to change things though. I didn't expect to be able to make huge visible body mods. But I did think there'd be a barbershop, a full tattoo shop, and a nail salon. I also think its weird that there's no clothing transmog system so you can look however you want (or have all the stats tied to implants and the clothing be totally cosmetic). Fortunately though, you can get cyberwear armor implants that beat any clothing armor stats you can find. Once I did that, I started wearing clothing just for looks, ignoring the stats.

45 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Certainly heard of the series, but I've never played it and I can't recall any friends talking it up.

Well, you asked about open world first person games, and Bethesda has been doing them since the nineties in the form of the various Elder Scrolls games.  Morrowind was the first one with a fully crafted world that wasn't procedurally generated, and was mind-blowing when it first released (and is still my favorite ES game).  That was followed up by Oblivion and then later Skyrim.  Bethesda also took on Fallout starting with the third game and that series has been in the first person perspective with open worlds ever since.

Most recently, Obsidian did it with Outer Worlds, which is basically Fallout....in spaaaaaaaaaaaace.  Obsidian also did Fallout: New Vegas for Bethesda. 

You could probably technically count Metal Gear Solid V.  I'd say it's a third-person game since that's the default perspective, but you could play it in first person, so I suppose it also counts.

Not sure if the Deus Ex or Dishonored games would count here.  Both have big, open world levels but not a true giant open world, or even a series of them.  The newest Deus Ex game probably comes the closest, as it has an open world hub that leads to some more linear levels for big missions.  It's nowhere near as big as the open areas of the aforementioned titles, especially Elder Scrolls or Fallout, but still.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is another one.  The Vampire: The Masquerade RPGs probably count.  No Man's Sky.  

So yeah, it's been done.

5 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I don't know how far you've gotten, but I hold out hope that there's something going on between the time he hits you and the time he asks for help with the exterminators. Clearly, something is supposed to happen in that space where you're unconscious to make him realize you are not the killer and that Yorinobu is in fact the culprit. I don't know if this is something that will be revisited.

Maybe, as you say, they just cut out material in between because they couldn't finish it. But I just find the unconsciousness intriguing.

7 hours ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

It's definitely not at the same level of something like Deus Ex or Dishonored. the flip side is that there's so much you can do, a whole lot of the game is entirely up to your choice as to how to play it. 

I don't think it's possible to make something with the depth of Deus Ex and the scale of Cyberpunk, with modern 3D graphics. Detroit in Human Revolution consists of two streets and an alley, Hengsha is even smaller. Prague in Mankind Divided is bigger, but still smaller than any of the Night City districts.

Archived