Cyberpunk 2077 [split from video games]

C.T. Phipps

I think this is first first person perspective game that has melee that I really like. It is just fast and viable even on max. difficulty and not too difficult to control. I got an armor implant with 200 armor now an I'm not completely unstoppable but sometimes it feels like it. 

https://www.ign.com/articles/cyberpunk-2077-for-xbox-one-and-playstation-4-review?sf134281900=1 

sigh

While I had just as much fun playing Cyberpunk 2077 on PC as Tom did playing for his review, on the base PlayStation 4 or Xbox One it is a different game entirely. It fails to hit even the lowest bar of technical quality one should expect even when playing on lower-end hardware. It performs so poorly that it makes combat, driving, and what is otherwise a master craft of storytelling legitimately difficult to look at.

1 hour ago, Relic said:

https://www.ign.com/articles/cyberpunk-2077-for-xbox-one-and-playstation-4-review?sf134281900=1

sigh

While I had just as much fun playing Cyberpunk 2077 on PC as Tom did playing for his review, on the base PlayStation 4 or Xbox One it is a different game entirely. It fails to hit even the lowest bar of technical quality one should expect even when playing on lower-end hardware. It performs so poorly that it makes combat, driving, and what is otherwise a master craft of storytelling legitimately difficult to look at.

Yeah it seems CDPR did a real dirty on this one. I saw that they put out a bit of a shitty sorry-not-sorry apology for deliberately  not showing any previous generation console gameplay on account of it being a dumpsterfire in order that people might actually buy it, offering in order to make themselves seem like the good guys here, to help with people getting the refunds that they deserve and are already entitled to in accordance with their consumer rights in most countries.

17 minutes ago, Poobah said:

Yeah it seems CDPR did a real dirty on this one. I saw that they put out a bit of a shitty sorry-not-sorry apology for deliberately  not showing any previous generation console gameplay on account of it being a dumpsterfire in order that people might actually buy it, offering in order to make themselves seem like the good guys here, to help with people getting the refunds that they deserve and are already entitled to in accordance with their consumer rights in most countries.

I'm still trying to play thru on the xbox one, just because i doubt ill get a refund since i bought it in a small shop in Prague. I'm putting all my points into hacking and melee, cuz trying to headshot at 15 fps and horrible graphics is really really difficult. 

28 minutes ago, Poobah said:

This is the problem with publicly traded companies.  This game clearly needed another year but no doubt was forced out in the 2020 Christmas season to appease shareholders.  I don't blame the developers.  I imagine they're as unhappy as anyone at seeing the game released in unfinished state.  

11 hours ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

I got epic quickhacks enabled. Aside from the ridiculous damage they do, they're downright fun. Spreading weapon malfunctions to an entire gang and watching their guns blow up is hilarious.

Contagion is pretty epic as well.

Bethesda has been doing it for about three decades now.

Rockstar also added it for their last few games, although in that case it's the alternate mode (whilst for Bethesda, the pretty ropey third-person mode is the optional alternate one).

It's definitely not at the same level of something like Deus Ex or Dishonored. the flip side is that there's so much you can do, a whole lot of the game is entirely up to your choice as to how to play it. 

I assume when people say this, they mean Human Revolution/Mankind Divided? I think we have to take it as read that we're never, ever getting something as in-depth and malleable as the original Deus Ex ever again,not with current graphics technology and development times.

I still think it's an odd comparison. You have far more hacking options in CP77 then you ever did in the nu-Deus Ex games, and the mission design is definitely less obviously contrived. In the DE games you have to infiltrate a building and are presented with the front door (guarded by three heavily-armed dudes), a side-alley no doubt leading to a locked-but-hackable-side door or a ledge you can jump to with a ventilation grill the size of a packing crate, leading to a network of very conveniently human-sized and totally-undefended ventilation shafts. I really enjoy the newer DE games but they are in no way particularly in-depth or brimming with options in how you handle things. CP77 has them licked with much more organic area design (getting the "superjump" legs and discovering a lot of places have rooftop access is a bit of a revelation) and a much better story than Mankind Divided.

With Human Revolution in the story and character stakes it's a lot closer, although there is a difference in scale. Human Revolution was about saving the world, Cyberpunk 2077 is about saving yourself, and the latter feels more personal and a bit more cyberpunk (you're more of a cog in the machine).

I do miss Elias Toufexis's soothing voice for a male protagonist though.

Apparently there is legendary-level loot just lying about in hidden away areas:

Spoiler

If any of you did the gig from Regina at the pharmaceutical spot in Watson -- a guy who was in debt to someone named Blake, who had some Animals as goons -- if, after mopping them up, you go and hack the garage doors, there's a case ... with legendary monowire cyberware(!)

A quick google tells me that there's definitely more stuff of that type out there.

Important stuff about clothing.

I like the line in the comments "If you wear clothes stolen from street bandits, you will look like one." And the recommendation to check out the actual stores, which stay ahead of your levelling curve more than random shit scrounged from the street.

It's also worth noting that the armour rating in the game isn't necessarily a big deal. You only negate 1 dps from 10 armour, which is pretty negligible. Armour which blocks status types (particularly electricity) and reduces critical damage is far more important.

"I have a barcode tattooed on my forehead, chrome teeth, a neon mullet, and I walk around calling everyone “choomba.” It would almost be weird if I *didn’t* dress like a Hot Topic vomited all over my Fight Club cosplay on my way to a screening of Suicide Squad."

One thing I have noticed is there's a lot more options for dealing with people than initially appear. I've found that if you have the right stats then things like Cool 8 will appear that allow you to respond differently. For example, in one quest you get to talk to Sandra Dorsett again but you need a Intelligence 10 to find out the truth about her.

There's also the fact that the narrative and strong characters are actually working against one another. The characters, setting, and writing is excellent. However, there's clearly been a lot of rushing going behind the scenes that prevents the stories from actually being followed up on.

* Your origin story Fixers are people you come to loathe. They all die before you can get revenge.
* Evelyn Parker wants to cut Dex out of the deal--both are removed from play before they can follow up on that.
* Dex betrays you and establishes something that you might want revenge for. Dex dies seconds later.
* The Moxes are a fascinating group but almost get no quests to themselves.

14 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:

Reveal hidden contents

* Your origin story Fixers are people you come to loathe. They all die before you can get revenge.
* Evelyn Parker wants to cut Dex out of the deal--both are removed from play before they can follow up on that.
* Dex betrays you and establishes something that you might want revenge for. Dex dies seconds later.
* The Moxes are a fascinating group but almost get no quests to themselves.

I am loving this game so far.  Granted, I am only up to point in which Keannu comes into the game, but I have played up to that point with 3 different characters so it has seemed like I played a lot.  Playing on PS4 and my only issue is the first few days had a lot of crashes.  No other major glitches that messed up my playing.

I was so annoyed that the Dex plotline went no where.  I wanted to see the betrayal play out.  I also wanted to be able to hunt him myself.

I really wasn't enjoying this game at all at first, but its grown on me a bit. Abandoning stealth and focusing on the main story instead of bothering with the side content helped. Unfortunate, cause I love stealth and that's generally how I prefer to approach Deus Ex style games but it feels completely broken here in terms of the enemy AI and stealth detection. Also the side content in Witcher 3 was sort of the highlight of that game and I was looking forward to more of that here, but most of it seems to be really generic. 

Anyway, now that I'm just going loud on every mission and have most of the quickhacking skill tree filled out its actually pretty fun. Casting a virus on one guy and watching it spread through the enemy ranks, disabling their weapons and making them explode in their hands is very cool as it turns out. 

Also Body Heat radio is nonstop bangers. 

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Important stuff about clothing.

I like the line in the comments "If you wear clothes stolen from street bandits, you will look like one." And the recommendation to check out the actual stores, which stay ahead of your levelling curve more than random shit scrounged from the street.

It's also worth noting that the armour rating in the game isn't necessarily a big deal. You only negate 1 dps from 10 armour, which is pretty negligible. Armour which blocks status types (particularly electricity) and reduces critical damage is far more important.

Purple jumpsuit and athletic shorts. I really want to find an armored trench coat. I just got a dermal implant though so maybe I can start dressing better now.

2 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

I really wasn't enjoying this game at all at first, but its grown on me a bit. Abandoning stealth and focusing on the main story instead of bothering with the side content helped. Unfortunate, cause I love stealth and that's generally how I prefer to approach Deus Ex style games but it feels completely broken here in terms of the enemy AI and stealth detection. Also the side content in Witcher 3 was sort of the highlight of that game and I was looking forward to more of that here, but most of it seems to be really generic. 

Anyway, now that I'm just going loud on every mission and have most of the quickhacking skill tree filled out its actually pretty fun. Casting a virus on one guy and watching it spread through the enemy ranks, disabling their weapons and making them explode in their hands is very cool as it turns out. 

Also Body Heat radio is nonstop bangers. 

There's a way to fix Stealth in the game that it becomes fun but it is a cheat. You need to buy the Cybernetic Upgrade that gives you a few seconds time to know when you've been spotted and also super-speed to move out of the way. I've been able to do things Hitman style with that additional grace period.

Some interesting quick fixes to the PC version that should smooth out performance. Apparently the PC version locks itself to the highest memory accessible to the consoles (the PS5 and XBX versions), even if you have heaps more. That's...spectacularly inept. It can also increase graphical glitches on PC though.

The game also keeps SSRQ (Screen Space Reflections Quality) on even if you have an RTX graphics card, even though the RTX takes care of that automatically. So switching off SSRQ can improve performance a lot (you can also switch it off anyway; reflections don't look as nice but the performance boost is significant, plus it can stop graphical microartefacts, like solid surfaces looking pockmarked).

8 hours ago, Werthead said:

I assume when people say this, they mean Human Revolution/Mankind Divided? I think we have to take it as read that we're never, ever getting something as in-depth and malleable as the original Deus Ex ever again,not with current graphics technology and development times.

I still think it's an odd comparison. You have far more hacking options in CP77 then you ever did in the nu-Deus Ex games, and the mission design is definitely less obviously contrived. In the DE games you have to infiltrate a building and are presented with the front door (guarded by three heavily-armed dudes), a side-alley no doubt leading to a locked-but-hackable-side door or a ledge you can jump to with a ventilation grill the size of a packing crate, leading to a network of very conveniently human-sized and totally-undefended ventilation shafts. I really enjoy the newer DE games but they are in no way particularly in-depth or brimming with options in how you handle things. CP77 has them licked with much more organic area design (getting the "superjump" legs and discovering a lot of places have rooftop access is a bit of a revelation) and a much better story than Mankind Divided.

With Human Revolution in the story and character stakes it's a lot closer, although there is a difference in scale. Human Revolution was about saving the world, Cyberpunk 2077 is about saving yourself, and the latter feels more personal and a bit more cyberpunk (you're more of a cog in the machine).

I do miss Elias Toufexis's soothing voice for a male protagonist though.

Yeah, I was talking DXHR. DX is definitely beyond both. And I agree that CP has more organic things, but the missions are still very rote as far as you solve them; there's not nearly the puzzle solving of stealth or the reward for going undetected, and some of the really cool missions either DX had really don't have anything. Same with the minigame of the voice conversations you could have. Solving a mission via stealth or hacking 'felt' more awesome in DX to me compared to doing it in CP so far, and Dishonored has both of those beat, IMO. 

And that's fine - this is a far bigger game with a lot more stuff to do. But I do miss that kind of curated super amazing level design. 

CDPR's last investor call transcript is quite painful reading. Owch.

I don’t expect next-gen performance on last-gen, but I would like to be able to play through the game. Thank you very much.

That's an investor getting shirty with the managers when they try to put him off with some marketing guff.

Another investor slyly tries to get some info on The Witcher 4 as well but they skirt that question. Makes you remember that investors in a gaming company are likely to be investors themselves.

41 minutes ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

Yeah, I was talking DXHR. DX is definitely beyond both. And I agree that CP has more organic things, but the missions are still very rote as far as you solve them; there's not nearly the puzzle solving of stealth or the reward for going undetected, and some of the really cool missions either DX had really don't have anything. Same with the minigame of the voice conversations you could have. Solving a mission via stealth or hacking 'felt' more awesome in DX to me compared to doing it in CP so far, and Dishonored has both of those beat, IMO. 

And that's fine - this is a far bigger game with a lot more stuff to do. But I do miss that kind of curated super amazing level design. 

Yeah, Dishonored's level design is extremely impressive, although it's even more super-focused than DE (that reminds me that I still haven't played Dishonored 2 or Death of the Outsider; have to get round to those).

It is worth noting you do generally get more rewards for stealthing missions undetected. I've even had extra rewards for stealthing missions which didn't have the "GO UNDETECTED - OPTIONAL" box, though the rewards for those missions are much greater.

Ran into my least favorite mission, in term of design, because it involves a very dark setting and tight hallways and vents. Not quite a platformer, but it was very frustrating to encounter a totally different type of mission design after nearly 30 hours in the game.

Spoiler

Speaking of the Delamain follow up mission. The story is cool, the design not so much. Particularly obnoxious is the idea that we should understand that it is perfectly safe to pass through criss-crossing laser beams... I admit, I resorted to a walkthrough for the first time because this one just frustrated me.

16 hours ago, Ran said:
  Hide contents

I don't know how far you've gotten, but I hold out hope that there's something going on between the time he hits you and the time he asks for help with the exterminators. Clearly, something is supposed to happen in that space where you're unconscious to make him realize you are not the killer and that Yorinobu is in fact the culprit. I don't know if this is something that will be revisited.

Maybe, as you say, they just cut out material in between because they couldn't finish it. But I just find the unconsciousness intriguing.

This kinda thing seems to happen a few times in the game. Spoilers up to the title card

Near the start a cop was going to throw me in the river and then me and Jackie just wake up on land fine? I get that he wasn't really going to do it but it was so jarring I thought maybe a scene got skipped. Then when playing as Johnny as he tries to leave Adam Smasher and some goons burst in and I got knocked over. Then I'm just on the roof about to escape and Smasher returns and stops me. Just weird.

Also does every starting scenario end up with you befriending Jackie? I see a lot of people talking about him online and I doubt they all picked "street kid." 

Spoilers up to title card in reference to @RumHam

Spoiler

That bit with Adam Smasher confused the fuck out of me.  It looks like he's about to murder Keanu and then suddenly Keanu is fine and on the roof?  WTF?  It feels like a boss fight just got dropped from the game.

And it's doubly weird because that's a seemingly very important story sequence and you'd think it'd be one of the first things they worked on and finished.  

As far as Jackie goes, I went corpo and he is still in the game.  The game treated it like I already knew him, though.  As if V and he were friends before I lost my corpo job.

35 minutes ago, briantw said:

Spoilers up to title card in reference to @RumHam

Hide contents

That bit with Adam Smasher confused the fuck out of me.  It looks like he's about to murder Keanu and then suddenly Keanu is fine and on the roof?  WTF?  It feels like a boss fight just got dropped from the game.

And it's doubly weird because that's a seemingly very important story sequence and you'd think it'd be one of the first things they worked on and finished.

As far as Jackie goes, I went corpo and he is still in the game.  The game treated it like I already knew him, though.  As if V and he were friends before I lost my corpo job.

The Corpo is a member of Arasaka's intelligence service.

Hilariously, that means you used to be a Fixer with a more legitimate title. Jackie is a guy you intend to hire.

At his Offrenda, you can say that Jackie saved your life as a Corporate and he was one of the few people you could ever trust.

Archived