Cyberpunk 2077 [split from video games]

C.T. Phipps

9 hours ago, sifth said:

So I only just started Act 2, do the side quests for this game get any better, because so far I'm finding them lack luster, especially compared to the ones in The Witcher 3.

How do you know when you're in act 2?

No way. The fact is that CDPR's reputation is more damaged than the IP. Anyone who has played it on a PC can vouch for how amazing Night City is visually and structually, the lore is deep and complex, etc. They spent years building it, and all the stuff filling it for players may be lacking, but the bones are there, and clearly the desire for something like this. So what behooves CDPR best is to not abandon it, but to fix it over the next couple of years while concurrently continuing their multiplayer plans using the assets.

1 minute ago, Ran said:

No way. The fact is that CDPR's reputation is more damaged than the IP. Anyone who has played it on a PC can vouch for how amazing Night City is visually and structually, the lore is deep and complex, etc. They spent years building it, and all the stuff filling it for players may be lacking, but the bones are there, and clearly the desire for something like this. So what behooves CDPR best is to not abandon it, but to fix it over the next couple of years while concurrently continuing their multiplayer plans using the assets.

Seems like a waste of money to me, but that's why I went into ant farming I guess.

It's strange, most of the time when people are ranting about buggy games, I have lucked out and not had many issues.

Fallout 3, other than making sure to save before entering a door, I didn't have any bugs.  Same with New Vegas.  Fallout 76 I did see a few issues, but nothing majorly game breaking like a lot of people were experiencing.

Now with Cyberpunk, same thing.  The first 3 or 4 days I had a crashing issue and it would crash a lot (almost Wasteland 3 levels of crashing), but since the patch they did, I haven't ran into any major bugs.  Maybe a couple of graphical glitches, but nothing game breaking or even to irritating.

I'm just lucky I guess.

Spoiler

One thing I did notice, granted I am not much passed the funeral (holy cow was I sobbing through that whole scene), but there are multiple homeless people that look like a shabby copy of Jonny.  I don't know if this will be part of the story later, or if it just the developers reusing that model.

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

At this point they should probably just abandon it, right? As long as they still turned a profit when the refunding is finished I can't see a single reason to spend another day on development. The IP is trashed.

Not their MO.

The Witcher 1 released in as bad a state (the game took longer to load than a ZX Spectrum game from cassette) in terms of bugs, gameplay and presentation and and they fixed the whole thing, even though it meant redoing a large chunk of the game from scratch, and gave it away for free to everyone who'd bought a copy of the original game.

They need to do exactly the same thing for CP77 to even try to get their reputation back. This is what their devs were saying when they were ripping into them, that they've taken 13+ years to build up that reputation and it's been trashed in a week. They need to fix the problem.

The problem with that is that they fixed The Witcher in under a year, but fixing CP77 properly will take longer. But if Hello Games managed it with No Man's Sky in three years, a much bigger dev with far more resources should be able to do it as well.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

If you've met Keanu, you're in act two. 

More prosaically, the game also says "ACT II" on screen in big letters.

Spoiler

I might be wrong about this, but I believe there's only two acts. Or the final mission is Act III by itself.

24 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Not their MO.

The Witcher 1 released in as bad a state (the game took longer to load than a ZX Spectrum game from cassette) in terms of bugs, gameplay and presentation and and they fixed the whole thing, even though it meant redoing a large chunk of the game from scratch, and gave it away for free to everyone who'd bought a copy of the original game.

They need to do exactly the same thing for CP77 to even try to get their reputation back. This is what their devs were saying when they were ripping into them, that they've taken 13+ years to build up that reputation and it's been trashed in a week. They need to fix the problem.

The problem with that is that they fixed The Witcher in under a year, but fixing CP77 properly will take longer. But if Hello Games managed it with No Man's Sky in three years, a much bigger dev with far more resources should be able to do it as well.

I mean I'm sure you're right. Don't make no sense to me though. You don't make money for patches, in fact quite the opposite.

11 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I mean I'm sure you're right. Don't make no sense to me though. You don't make money for patches, in fact quite the opposite.

Sure you do. No Man's Sky has been selling steadily due to the company working hard to fix all the things that were wrong and making it meet the hype they had. They got back people who refunded the game in the first days.

CDPR will have however many hundreds of thousands of people who've refunded to come back when people tell them it works on console, or when people tell them about the bug fixes and improvements, and so on. Hell, there were people who were planning to not buy for some months anyways because of CDPRs past history with janky releases which steadily improved over time.

That's all money on the table. Jumping into some new game that will take 5+ years to develop when they can recover their reputation, refund losses, and skeptic holdouts much sooner seems imminently more sensible.

This is definitely a physics-abusing exploit, but the result is phenomenal. Apparently it builds off stuff people have been doing to do glitch runs and explore things by doing time-slowed double jumps that allow you to basically fly across large gaps, but used for cyber samurai destruction instead.

Kind of hope CDPR doesn't remove it. It's just cool and I can't imagine it'll do that much to break the game. 

Spoiler

I did run into a bit of a janky thing, by the by -- in Automatic Love, I killed Forrester/Woodman, and there's even dialog where I tell Judy  I killed him. But later, when pursuing her plan to have the Mox take over the Clouds, Woodman is alive and well, holds no particular grudges, and I have to kill him again. Which, BTW, I tried to do first with the Suicide quickhack... and he slashed his own throat, but that only took off half of his HP before he then proceeded to come at Judy and me. Oops. It was quite a gruesome image. 

I suspect there's some logic loop issue that's keeping Woodman alive and well. All they have to do is take out a line of dialog from Miako, the option of going after him when you get to the elevator, the cut scene about his death, and a second line of dialog or two with Miako later.

Well-played, dickheads.

I also found a fantastic-looking black supercar. It's in a shipping container in the underground tunnel (the one you go to as part of Panam's storyline) and you can just pick it up for free. It looks amazing, like a Batmobile designed for speed. It handles like a brick even by CP77's standards, though. But so cool.

I'm not sure what the joke is there.

However, I've very much enjoyed this game's storytelling despite the bugs and the fact that the world's AI are pretty stupid with awful Far Cry 3 levels of driving. Johnny Silverhand is a fantastically unlikable character. It's impressive they can make someone charming you want to hang around with while also being sure he's an ass to you and a bad influence.

8 hours ago, Werthead said:

Well-played, dickheads.

I also found a fantastic-looking black supercar. It's in a shipping container in the underground tunnel (the one you go to as part of Panam's storyline) and you can just pick it up for free. It looks amazing, like a Batmobile designed for speed. It handles like a brick even by CP77's standards, though. But so cool.

Heard about the Rayfield in the tunnel -- bullet proof, apparently! -- but when I did the relevant mission I didn't see it. Maybe you have to wait a specified time before it shows up? 

Personally, I'd like a Quadra to get a sporty car, although then again I'm done with racing, so... maybe not.

@C.T. Phipps

5 hours ago, Ran said:

Heard about the Rayfield in the tunnel -- bullet proof, apparently! -- but when I did the relevant mission I didn't see it. Maybe you have to wait a specified time before it shows up? 

Personally, I'd like a Quadra to get a sporty car, although then again I'm done with racing, so... maybe not.

Yeah, it spawns later on, after the mission and even generates an icon as you drive past it.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

Yeah, it spawns later on, after the mission and even generates an icon as you drive past it.

Got it. They went all in on the Batman references with that one. Heh.

This game is incredibly addictive. 60 hours in, and still in Act 2. 

Spoiler

Glad I ignored Johnny and went back for Takemura. What a fun fight escaping from the building.

Oh, and Oda was badass as hell when he jumped me. Super cinematic moment.

Now on to Riders of the Storm to get a snazzy sniper rifle by the sounds of it, and then have to follow up with the mayoral crime story which has been a very pleasant surprise.

I'm 35 hours in, still in Act II (and one main character is going to be hanging out outside a certain facility for a very long time while I do all the other side jobs on the map first) and still having fun.

This does concern me a lot though: https://www.ign.com/articles/cyberpunk-2077-save-files-over-8mb-may-become-permanently-corrupt

Those playing Cyberpunk 2077 should be aware that if their save files get above 8MB, they may become permanently corrupt and unusable.Redditor MagicTacoSauce posted a PSA alerting others to the issue, and GOG.com - which is owned by Cyberpunk 2077 developer CD Projekt Red - offered a response that is not overly promising.

"Unfortunately the save is damaged and can't be recovered," The statement reads. "Please use an older save file to continue playing and try to keep a lower amount of items and crafting materials. If you have used the item duplication glitch, please load a save file not affected by it. The save file size limit might be increased in one of the future patches, but the corrupted files will remain that way."

It sounds like its hard to get a save file that large unless you do a lot of crafting (since that generates so many more item IDs that need to get saved), but it still makes me nervous that the game has a real life ticking clock. Right now my most recent save is at 4.11 MB, and from what I've read a brand new save is about 2.8 MB right off the bat; so if things stick to a linear progression I should be fine. Still, this seems like an urgent issue to address.

Archived