Cyberpunk 2077 [split from video games]

C.T. Phipps

I lost some playing time so I'm only at 45 hours, but tons to do. I did do Panam's entire storyline first though, and am now on the mayoral storyline. I've been holding back on pushing forwards the main plot though.

Spoiler

Glad I ignored Johnny and went back for Takemura. What a fun fight escaping from the building.

I'm pretty sure that was a Deus Ex reference as well.

Spoiler

There's a fantastic mission in Human Revolution where the game encourages you to leave your pilot behind to die after being shot down, but you can actually save her by power jumping back into the fight. It's very hard to save her, but just about doable.

Anyone else encountered:

Spoiler

Mr. Blue Eyes yet? Caught him spying on one of my meet and greets with a character from across a water channel. I tried to mega-jump over to his location but he'd disappeared before I could get there. I reloaded and tried sniping him but he just ignored it. Apparently he shows up at other parts of the game but can be quite hard to spot.

Shades of G-Man in Half-Life.

Legendary quickhacks are just kind of awesome, especially when matched with some of the Breach tree that make hacking trivial. Did a sabotage job, breached the dozen+ guards, put the optic reboot daemon on them, and just waltzed in -- every guard immediately went, "Ow, my eyes!" when they laid eyes on me -- planted the malware and waltzed out before their optics were back online.

Starting to feel god-like, at least when the breach isn't blocked from the get-go.

The side quests I've been getting have been really pushing the ugly side of Night City, and the corporations. I feel like I want to finish up some of the more involved ones before I resume the main story. 

Spoiler

"Pyramid Song" was a lovely quest, and ended in a way that felt imminently earned. Of course the Tyger Claws weren't going to take losing the Clouds without a fight, of course the Mox weren't going to be happy that Judy threw them into a feud with another gang, of course Judy was going to be filled with disillusionment and give up on making it in Night City. I'm guessing if you rejected helping her or sided with Maiko, she'd be equally disillusioned. 

Personally, my V went along with it out of disgust for what was done to Evelyn, even though he hardly knew her. OTOH, when Panam asked for help rescuing Saul, he did remind her he was a gun for hire. Also decided that at this stage, he's not wanting to get too close to anyone in case he doesn't make it, so passed on Panam's apparent willingness to hook up. 

Also, I just realized that I haven't yet even met the potential male love interest for (male) V, so I'm firmly in the middle-game I guess. Jeebus, need to see the size of my save files...

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Legendary quickhacks are just kind of awesome, especially when matched with some of the Breach tree that make hacking trivial. Did a sabotage job, breached the dozen+ guards, put the optic reboot daemon on them, and just waltzed in -- every guard immediately went, "Ow, my eyes!" when they laid eyes on me -- planted the malware and waltzed out before their optics were back online.

Starting to feel god-like, at least when the breach isn't blocked from the get-go.

The side quests I've been getting have been really pushing the ugly side of Night City, and the corporations. I feel like I want to finish up some of the more involved ones before I resume the main story. 

Reveal hidden contents

"Pyramid Song" was a lovely quest, and ended in a way that felt imminently earned. Of course the Tyger Claws weren't going to take losing the Clouds without a fight, of course the Mox weren't going to be happy that Judy threw them into a feud with another gang, of course Judy was going to be filled with disillusionment and give up on making it in Night City. I'm guessing if you rejected helping her or sided with Maiko, she'd be equally disillusioned. 

Personally, my V went along with it out of disgust for what was done to Evelyn, even though he hardly knew her. OTOH, when Panam asked for help rescuing Saul, he did remind her he was a gun for hire. Also decided that at this stage, he's not wanting to get too close to anyone in case he doesn't make it, so passed on Panam's apparent willingness to hook up. 

Also, I just realized that I haven't yet even met the potential male love interest for (male) V, so I'm firmly in the middle-game I guess. Jeebus, need to see the size of my save files...

How do you get the legendary quick hacks anyway? Do you need to craft them or can they be purchased somewhere? 

10 minutes ago, sifth said:

How do you get the legendary quick hacks anyway? Do you need to craft them or can they be purchased somewhere? 

I crafted mine once I hit 20 int and bought the perk. I won't be surprised if they later turn up in game without needing to craft them.

ETA:

Apparently if you hack access points and get the perks that help increase the odds of getting quickhacks out of them, you can pick up legendary hacks even with a lower int score. Someone with a 12 int said he picked up 5 legendaries over about 2 days of play.

1 minute ago, Ran said:

I crafted mine once I hit 20 int and bought the perk. I won't be surprised if they later turn up in game without needing to craft them.

Alright, so there a level 20 perk, got it. Are these the hacks that allow you to get your enemies to kill themselves and pull the pins in their own grenades?

1 minute ago, sifth said:

Alright, so there a level 20 perk, got it. Are these the hacks that allow you to get your enemies to kill themselves and pull the pins in their own grenades?

Suicide hacks can be lower than Legendary, I believe. I don't think there are any hacks that are exclusive to Legendary. But increasing the rarity of a hack adds new effects, such as with reboot optics spreading to nearby targets.

Correct. The 'ultimate' group of hacks (system reset, grenade pull, cyberpsychosis and suicide) are all Epic level to start. 

Legendary hacks not only give new effects, they also give you permanent special side abilities. Like ping allowing you to hit any marked targets (ping or no) through any boundaries without LoS. 

3 hours ago, Ran said:

Reveal hidden contents

The male love interest for a female V is a nice guy but that's kind of all there is to him.

Spoiler

Team Judy all the way.

His last quest does seem to be a homage to a great quest in the first Witcher game.

Spoiler

You organise a big party and get all your friends to come and Geralt can play matchmaker with two other NPCs (if he hasn't banged the woman in question...actually I think he can even if he has, because he's totally chill with that kind of thing), so you're more in the Joss role in that quest.

Something I'm enjoying in CP77 is that unbelievably predictable open world trope of doing some mission and suddenly 50 bad guys show up basically doesn't happen. The only time it does is when it's in a situation where it's obviously a danger, otherwise the game plays very fair with you being able to identify and neutralise enemies in your own fashion.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Suicide hacks can be lower than Legendary, I believe. I don't think there are any hacks that are exclusive to Legendary. But increasing the rarity of a hack adds new effects, such as with reboot optics spreading to nearby targets.

So how do you get a suicide hack? Are they rare drops?

1 hour ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

Correct. The 'ultimate' group of hacks (system reset, grenade pull, cyberpsychosis and suicide) are all Epic level to start. 

Legendary hacks not only give new effects, they also give you permanent special side abilities. Like ping allowing you to hit any marked targets (ping or no) through any boundaries without LoS. 

Yep, that one is super. And Short Circuit adding its damage to any critical hit with any weapon really ramps up damage, especially as that damage can crit as well. You can get some insane crit damage in the game.

The understandable pressure to get timely reviews out led a lot of reviewers to complain that the perk system not being flavorful enough. Yes, individually, some perks look kind of "boring" -- 10% more movement doesn't sound like much, right? But when it synergizes with additional stacks of movement which also give you more armor, more crit, etc., you can become a complete monster just slicing through a dozen enemies like a hot knife through butter. Seen people do stuff with mantis blades, shotguns, etc. which just looks fun as hell.

@sifth

My recollection is that I got Suicide as a drop, or alternatively there's a netrunner store that carried it. It would also work with hacking access points with the boost to your odds to get quickhacks as part of the rewards.

I am amused that my current life comprises of playing CP2077 when I get a chance, and then going to work and running all sorts of numbers and monitoring how CP2077 is actually doing for Xbox. 

I've run into an annoying bug a couple times now, where I get a phone call to start another mission while I'm literally in a conversation for a different mission. The old conversation text grays out, and the person I was talking with does the "hey, you there?" ambient dialog until I finish the phone call. Really wish the game was better at timing these things out, or letting me ignore a call and call back later.

And speaking of timing, I've been advancing down both Judy's and Panam's side jobs, and I feel like both are moving too quickly. But especially Panam's. There's not enough time between missions to do other things, and make it feel really rushed. Especially Panam's where there's dialog that makes it sound like its been at least a couple weeks since I met her, but it's really only been like 5 days and that's counting from when I met her doing the main story still. The missions themselves have all been solid though.

I've also been moving forward on all the other side jobs I can find, main story is going to keep sitting still for a while, and I found the 'Sinnerman' chain. I didn't like it.

The idea was neat, and the ending was properly fucked up, but getting there felt too messy. The beginning in particular was real off-putting. I actually ended up reloading a few times. My first instinct was to get in a shoot-out when the guy who hired me got killed, but unfortunately that kept trigger the insta-spawning NCPD cops and I couldn't win. And my second instinct was to just tell them to piss off, but that just ends the quest chain immediately. It was only for the sake of seeing the content that I got in the car, and that was really immersion-breaking.

Unfortunately I'm pretty much going to stop playing until they release the PS5 version the bugs are too much.  Its not even the "every couple hours it randomnly closes PS bug" that happens as said every couple hours;; it's the little stupid shit.  I accidently hit a post with motorbike, motorbike doesn't crash like a good game with actual vehicle physics but instead teleports to the top of the post where wheels spin, cant move or get off and forced to reload.  This kind of shit happens all the fucking time.  I have never seen a console release like this.  The story is great but the game is actual fucking hot garbage so I don't care anymore.

Yeah I love crashing into invisible walls while driving, love falling thru the world randomly, love the crashes and the 1990s FMV graphics. This game fucking blows on a console. It's a travesty. 

Lol...

Anyway after trying 2 different playstyles(stealth+hacking and melee) I kept playing with the melee character. It is just too much fun although I had to postpone one quest because a skulled cyberpsycho kept one shooting me when I missed a doge/block. I managed to kill the cyberpsycho by abusing the AI and using lots of grenades and all my ammo but I reloaded afterwards. I know I could lower difficulty but I'm a bit of a masochists. 

I now face the decision on what to focus apart from body/reflexes. Tech would allow me to improve my items and I could increased my tankiness. Intelligence gives all the sweet hacking options(the ability to stack hacks and crits ran mentioned sounds interesting). Cool is interesting too because of cold blood. I put my spare starting point into cool and maxed the base cold blood ability and it does seem useful. Implants complicate things further. The system is indeed way more complex than you would suspect from a quick glance. 

The only thing I found annoying while playing with this character is that it seems impossible to level athletics at the decent speed during normal gameplay even if you used melee 95% of the time.

I have not gamed a lot in recent months but this game made me look at new PCs. Because of the low supply of high end graphic cards I have decided to wait a few months. I would have bought an overpriced alienware PC but a lot of people seem to complain about cooling/noise which is a no-go because I game in the living room. The game runs ok in my current PC though but I have seen how pretty it can look on proper high end hardware...  

Archived