Cyberpunk 2077 [split from video games]

C.T. Phipps

20 hours ago, Ran said:

Reveal hidden contents

Well, it was arduous for me, in any case! I saw a perfect stealth run that took 6-odd minutes on Youtube, but some of those margins to get through it without triggering any alarms at all seemed like magic (or, more likely, repeated tries by someone who memorized everything down to the second).

Ha! I put this down to playing a lot of Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun and Desperados III (both strongly recommended), which train you into realising how much you can get away with in stealth by being bold (knocking one person out when they're standing 6 feet behind another person with their back turned, and if you have time to knock one out and then the other). It feels like CP77 is very much a first-person version of those games when it comes to the stealth system, just without the viewing cone (CP77 is a maybe a little bit more generous to the AI with their peripheral vision).

On 1/7/2021 at 7:57 AM, Ran said:

What, you don't finish off defeated opponents with a sword or fist as they lie there helpless on the ground?

... not that I've ever done that, of course. .  . .

Not usually. But I just assassinated my first corpo and the fixer said to send a message. So even though I'm a hacker with no combat skills I used the katana.

Finally got my immortal tech shotgun build done, with Tech 20 allowing me to make tech weapon ignore armor entirely. Shame there's no legendary, iconic tech shotgun around, but there's a cyberpsycho who drops a purple DB-2 with reduced charge time. Combined with Charles's legendary  Feedback Circuit cyberware that provides 10% healing on hits with a fully charged tech weapon (as I said, Lizzie's gun would also work great for this; and also, once I had no more use for Charles, I blasted him in the face for working with scavs), I'm now rolling into fights and barely bothering to hide myself because I can take pretty much anything out without worrying about damage outside of snipers with tech weapons headshotting me.

Also, bonus, there's an immensely satisfying sound each time you hit with a fully charged shot and your health jumps up.

Apparently people have done something or other with the game executable and found a bunch of clues related to two multiplayer modes: a straight-up deathmatch game, and what looks like a co-op Heist Mode with what seem to be four roles for players to take (Solo, Assassin, Netrunner, and Techie).

36 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I wonder how long before someone remakes Blade Runner in this game.

Wouldn't be surprised, although they remastered the actual Blade Runner video game a couple of years back and it's pretty good. Not an open world game like CP77 though.

2 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Wouldn't be surprised, although they remastered the actual Blade Runner video game a couple of years back and it's pretty good. Not an open world game like CP77 though.

Yes I was reading about that recently. Like fans painstakingly remade the game and now a company is trying to do so and running into all sorts of problems. 

Replicating Blade Runner: why the adventure game classic is so tough to remaster

Think CDPR's message is very reasonable, and the fact that they aren't making the mistake of giving specific deadlines shows appropriate caution when it seems clear that their tech is straining previous gen consoles to the breaking point. 

My plan for a more focused run sort of went away when I realized that I really couldn't skip the Pacifica chain of missions as I had hoped, which delayed Judy's storyline and 

Spoiler

Evelyn's tragic demise

But, OTOH, I am now feeling positively god-like again as I can run-and-gun anything. I even decided to take out the 6th Street Gang rather than do their shooting competition, which may be one of the largest collection of enemies in a single place you can get (short of summoning MaxTac with some mayhem...) Pushed past 3K armor, which can boost up to 6k with full Cold Blood stacks, and now most guys can't hit for more than a couple of points a time, ATM. Especially as I've the Cold Blood perk that reduces all damage to 50% when under 50% health, for 10 seconds. Plenty of time to get back to full health.

It's very loud and messy, but boy, it's a lot faster than stealthing things.

I remain unclear if patches 1.1 and 1.2 are just about fixing the old console versions, or if there will be any improvements for PC as well. Trying to figure out if I should slow down my replay so that I can take advantage of those patches, or if they won't make a difference to me and I should just keep pushing forward.

@Fez

It sounds like there'll be stability improvements for PC as well, but yeah, it seems like stability is foremost, especially for consoles. No doubt there may be some quality of life bug fixes, though. But AI, at least, I do not expect to see a big improvement on.

I'd expect any major patches fixing balance, AI, and so on to be outside those first two patches. Though in the investors call they did seem to acknowledge that there may be specific bugs with AI that they would try to fix. I'm not sure what those would be, short of situations where you can see enemies just stand still, knowing there's an attacker but waiting to be killed rather than chasing them or what have you.

8 hours ago, Fez said:

I remain unclear if patches 1.1 and 1.2 are just about fixing the old console versions, or if there will be any improvements for PC as well. Trying to figure out if I should slow down my replay so that I can take advantage of those patches, or if they won't make a difference to me and I should just keep pushing forward.

The PS4 and XB1 versions of the game still have the most problems, so the focus I suspect will be on them.

All of the patches so far, some of which have been considerable, are listed as "hotfixes", whilst 1.1 and 1.2 will be "proper" patches, and CDPR have sneaked in major QOL improvements to their games in the past under cover of just being patches (hairdressers' for Geralt in The Witcher 3, for example), so that's entirely possible for this game as well.

I think a total reworking of AI/traffic/police might be beyond that scope, though, and will probably have to wait for the DLC, if it's coming at all.

Forget messing with the 6th Street Gang at their HQ to test out a build. The southern border crossing station is loaded with a lot more baddies, and somewhat tougher as well. Turns out you can't cross it to go back to your Nomad lifepath start location, though -- you'll die in 2-3 seconds as your health just vanishes when you step beyond the station. (Apparently people have found a route that will let you go around the apparently-coded "kill zone", though.)

I'm now approaching 10k armor with full stacks of Cold Blood. I've switched to beating people up with a wrench just to squeeze out some more perk points. At least I finally advanced Judy's story with the Clouds some. Figure once I tie up that romance, it'll be on to the ending. Think I'll try 

Spoiler

the ending with the Aldecaldos helping out this time.

7 minutes ago, RumHam said:

This is mostly stuff that we knew of before, just a bit more confirmed. Originally a third-person game, the game being completely rejigged in 2016, losing the value of the pre-production time from 2012-16, the game's tech being too ambitious, the timeline being ridiculously compressed, management saying they could make the game in the same timeframe as The Witcher 3 despite being much more complex, the 2018 video being mostly pre-programmed rather than dynamic game capture (Schreier's suggestion that it was "completely faked" doesn't seem right though; the 2018 video and the actual section in the final game are almost 100% identical, apart from not being able to use the ice tank as a makeshift silencer and a few other flourishes) and so on.

The fact that programmers and developers were arguing strongly for a 2022 release date and were ignored is wince-inducing though.

The surprising thing is the cops being put in the game quite soon before release, indicative that the realisation some people were going to be playing this as a GTA game only emerged very late in the day (which given that people were saying that in 2018 was silly). That does at least raise the likelihood that the police system can and will be completely rejigged since what's in the game right now is a bodge job.

Archived