Cyberpunk 2077 [split from video games]

C.T. Phipps

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

I really disliked the way he was hating on Us Cracks, but the way it played out was perfect and completely redeemed itself - he's not actually just hating on the young girls, he's a drama queen himself and it was all manufactured by the corpos.

Us cracks? 

I confess, I don't know what that means, and I don't think Herr Google is going to be of much help here. Would love to learn if you're willing to explain. 

On 11/18/2021 at 11:00 AM, IlyaP said:

Us cracks? 

I confess, I don't know what that means, and I don't think Herr Google is going to be of much help here. Would love to learn if you're willing to explain. 

They're the fake J-pop band that Kerry is in a tizzy about. It's their tour he's trying to wreck when he takes V with him to blow up the van carrying the stage equipment.

Testing

12 minutes ago, Ran said:

They're the fake J-pop band that Kerry is in a tizzy about. It's their tour he's trying to wreck when he takes V with him to blow up the van carrying the stage equipment.

...Seriously that was their name? 

I remember them! In the animal costumes, the ones who end up taking photos with me! They were pretty cool! 

(Seriously, everyone in this game, even the Grade-A shit heels, are memorable.)

3 hours ago, IlyaP said:

If nothing else, the sense of verisimilitude is an accomplishment unto itself when compared to other games out there, non? 

Yeah that's why I'm curious whether it was intended or accidental.

3 hours ago, IlyaP said:

...Seriously that was their name? 

I remember them! In the animal costumes, the ones who end up taking photos with me! They were pretty cool! 

(Seriously, everyone in this game, even the Grade-A shit heels, are memorable.)

Their name was another one I didn't remember until the second play through, at which point I realised we're hearing it the entire game - the ad that plays something along the lines of "after taking London, Paris and Sydney by storm..." is an ad for the upcoming Us Cracks tour that you fuck up with Kerry. There are so many connections in the game that it doesn't actually call out.

One of the more obvious ones that again I didn't notice until the second time is you see Mayor Rhyne and Vice Mayor Holt meeting with Arasaka reps arguing about how long the lockdown of Watson will last during The Heist. It's the first room you need to get the flathead through with manual control. The news report on the Mayor's subsequent death also went over my head on the first run until I knew it was relevant.

The stories are so seamlessly integrated with the background colour of the city you can't be sure what's important and what isn't.

Also the music into for N54 news is way too similar to a real news channel it makes me pay attention when it comes on lol. The report on your EMP attack to bring down the Kang Tao AV playing in Judy's apartment is the one that really got me.

@karaddin, when I was talking about male v romancing Judy I was talking about how they had recorded a good amount of the male v vocals for it which were still in game and could be accessed via a mod. I realize it was cut eventually, but for a while it's clear that cdpr had planned judy as an interest.  

And no, their explanation of how they record all dialog for male and female is not really reasonable nor is it particularly accurate in the industry. 

The rules are:

Panam can be romanced by someone with a male body but either a male or female voice.

River can be romanced by someone with a female body but either a male or female voice.

Judy can be romanced by someone with a female body and female voice.

Kerry can be romanced by someone with a male body and male voice.

IIRC, there were signs from dataminers that Kerry was possibly also going to respond to a female voice and that River was going to respond to a male body but that was cut before they recorded the voice lines. While I think CDPR's explanation on why they have male V romance lines for Judy is untrue, I do believe they'd intended to have no explicitly gay-only and perhaps even straight-only characters (not sure if similar stuff was found for Panam or not), got as far as recording lines for Judy, and then decided to restrict the characters  before they recorded similar lines for Kerry. 

8 hours ago, Kalsandra said:

@karaddin, when I was talking about male v romancing Judy I was talking about how they had recorded a good amount of the male v vocals for it which were still in game and could be accessed via a mod. I realize it was cut eventually, but for a while it's clear that cdpr had planned judy as an interest.  

And no, their explanation of how they record all dialog for male and female is not really reasonable nor is it particularly accurate in the industry. 

Ok that makes sense as what you meant. What I've seen of the recorded lines is that they're exactly the same as female V I think including the lesbian U-Haul joke so the simplest explanation was that she was going to only require female body V with either voice.

If she was intended to not be a lesbian earlier in the process then they didn't just change some flags but did the work to actually rewrite her character somewhat. Or its a happy accident.

9 hours ago, Ran said:

GOG has Cypberunk 2077 for sale at 50% off, in case anyone's interested.

Some people are thinking this is a preview of the sale price that will be applied to other platforms on Friday, so it might be worth waiting until then if your preferred platform is Steam or Epic.

I keep seeing all these articles talking about how CP2077 is coming to gamepass (and refuting it) and I keep thinking to myself how Xbox had it effectively for 6 months as an exclusive AND it was effectively free as you could get a refund for it for no reason whatsoever during that time. 

But not gonna advertise that too loudly...

23 hours ago, Werthead said:

Some people are thinking this is a preview of the sale price that will be applied to other platforms on Friday, so it might be worth waiting until then if your preferred platform is Steam or Epic.

And that has come to pass. Really an excellent price for what you get.

Recent reviews are up to 83% positive, and anecdotally some people who jumped on the hate bandwagon at release have edited their scores and rated it positively after giving it a new chance.

Glad for those who worked on the game to see the work and effort seeing some pay off. Hopefully the numbers will grow more with more DLC, patches, and the eventual expansions.

I was thinking of picking up now with this pretty good sale price. Worth it? My RPG experience has always been hit or miss. I bounced hard off any of the Witcher games, with games like Skyrim and Mass Effect being more style. I do like a good cyberpunk world if well developed.

3 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I was thinking of picking up now with this pretty good sale price. Worth it? My RPG experience has always been hit or miss. I bounced hard off any of the Witcher games, with games like Skyrim and Mass Effect being more style. I do like a good cyberpunk world if well developed.

I think it's worth a try. It's an amazing Cyberpunk setting, IMO, lots of attention to detail. But I can't compare it to those other games, not having played it, except that it's a first person game (like Skyrim) rather than a third eprson (like Witcher and ME).

23 minutes ago, Ran said:

I think it's worth a try. It's an amazing Cyberpunk setting, IMO, lots of attention to detail. But I can't compare it to those other games, not having played it, except that it's a first person game (like Skyrim) rather than a third eprson (like Witcher and ME).

Skyrim is a 3rd person game. ;) Thanks

4 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Oh, I did not know that it allows you to go first person or third person -- every time I saw gameplay people played it in first person, I guess.

I'd say the main thing to bear in mind is that Cyberpunk 2077 is a very heavily story-and-character-focused game, so like Mass Effect, but it is set in an open-world setting that initially feels very Skyrim (or more like Fallout, more accurately, especially in the desert wasteland). A lot of disgruntlement I think has come from people who were expecting a Skyrim-style experience, with a world with absolutely tons of stuff going on you can dip in and out of at will and a main story you can ignore or engage with at will., but if you try doing that you'll likely run out of stuff to do fairly quickly (the optional side-missions are more or less just "kill this bunch of arseholes" and "buy this car"). The main story here is the main feature, not an optional extra like you can treat it in a Bethesda game.

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

Well, kind of. You can play it in 3rd person, it just looks like you're ice skating everywhere. There is a really good and quite recent 3rd person mod which someone developed which really does make it look better, with tons of custom animations so your character looks like they're moving through the enviroments. Otherwise the best reason to play it in 3rd person is for nausea/FOV issues (I'm still baffled that Anniversary Edition hasn't added an FOV slider, and the ini-adjusting options are all rather problematic).

There is also the 3rd person mod for Cyberpunk 2077 which is functional, if flaky. I still think it's likely that CDPR will develop an official 3rd person mode later on.

I would say a big difference is that cyberpunk combat in general is either too hard early on or super easy, with very little variety in encounters or challenge. My understanding is that Witcher is a bit better in that regard. From what I've seen it's better than skyrims combat, but its not a highlight. 

As mentioned above, the environment, story and characters are the highlight. In that way its more like ME or other bioware games - and more like the Witcher- than it is skyrim. The main story is good, and some of the side quests are awesome. 

Archived