Cyberpunk 2077 [split from video games]

C.T. Phipps

4 minutes ago, Mexal said:

One thing that is annoying is that I jumped into the main quest in Act 2 and because I haven't finished some spots, my vision is all fucked up while I do side jobs/gigs. 

That may be a bug, depending on what you mean. Your vision is supposed to get fucked up sometimes, but its not supposed to be a permanent thing. The vision filter can get stuck though, and require you to quit out and and reload. I had to do that once.

17 minutes ago, Fez said:

That may be a bug, depending on what you mean. Your vision is supposed to get fucked up sometimes, but its not supposed to be a permanent thing. The vision filter can get stuck though, and require you to quit out and and reload. I had to do that once.

I'll test it. I figured it was part of the quest and I needed to get to...

Spoiler

Mikashi or whatever it was. I got fucked up after the Clouds quest I think.

I had that bug as well, but it went away after a reload. The visual glitch effect is periodic but supposed to be temporary.

Spoiler

80 hours in, did Chippin' In with Rogue which leaves me wondering what deal with the devil she cut that's being danced around, and Johnny's decided to go visit Kerry, so really looking forward to that. The talk with Johnny at his grave in the middle of nowhere was ... fantastic, really. You chip away some of that flinty, asshole exterior of Johnny in that conversation. Good stuff.

By the by, I forgot to mention the "Smack My Bitch Up" vibes of the mission when you first give Johnny control of the wheels, so to speak... Thought it was hilarious, heh.

Random other missions I've done led me to sitting on 300k cash which I was going to use on clothes and maybe a new cyberdeck and some cyber upgrades when I levelled up body or reflexes ... and then I visited the Avante clothing store at the Jinguki mall in Corp Central, and for a sweet $350k eddies I could buy legendary clothing mods Deadeye (15% crit, 30% crit damage) and Predator (25% damage vs high and medium threat targets, which feels especially useful in the late game).

And buy them I did. Only to discover that Deadeye, at least, doesn't seem to work presently due to some bug. Damn it. Now I'll have to roll back my save, I guess, and just get Predator once I verify that it actually works.

Speaking of clothing mods, it looks like some mods simply don't actually stack. Specifically, it looks like you shouldn't bother with more than one crit or crit damage mod in your outfit (outfit being all the pieces together). OTOH, Armadillo (+armor mods) do appear to stack. So it probably is right, at least at present, to focus on mods that reduce or negate effects. Somewhere I saw a mod that made you immune to shock and poison, that one seems useful (though I'm already immune to poison thanks to a perk). 

Speaking of clothing, I've found a few mods (and also seen at least one perk) that reference underwater breathing. But in 40 hours I haven't been in the water once, nor seen any indication that it was ever an optional route in any missions I did. Am I missing something or is this some sort of useless relic from the source content that probably should've gotten cut?

Finally hit act 2. I was grinding a long time in early gigs for street cred. I actually like the gigs though. It's a lot like a modern version of the little jobs in Genesis Shadowrun, which I loved. Awesome for an opening mission. Bit too long on the end, I found myself wanting to go to bed and had to stay up late as I didn't see a good place to pause things. 

Hacking seems like it sucks at first level, but that quickly goes away once you even upgrade your cyberdeck just a little. Money is easy to get now and it's street cred that is the main barrier to getting the good equipment.

Spoiler

Small nit pick. It seemed like I was making a big decision that would have large consequences in deciding not to cut out Dexter and I was impressed that I got to make such a decision this early on. The way things played out it made it seem like that didn't matter anymore.

Has anyone tried the Very Hard difficulty rating yet?

4 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

I'm kinda impressed with how well you can move around in the game. In many other open world games getting stuck is a real risk especially in Bethesda games. I got one of the jump mods and moving over roofs and stuff works really well. It is not Dying Light but it got decent parkour potential. Death from above. :D

Uh.... what?

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Speaking of clothing, I've found a few mods (and also seen at least one perk) that reference underwater breathing. But in 40 hours I haven't been in the water once, nor seen any indication that it was ever an optional route in any missions I did. Am I missing something or is this some sort of useless relic from the source content that probably should've gotten cut?

Right now, there's a couple of gigs that put you in the water, but none that need you to use the oxygen stuff, so far as I can tell. There's a couple of easter eggs, too, related to missions:

Spoiler

One gig dealing with criminals gives you a note mentioning a van that ended up in the water with some goods, and if you dive in and search you can find it. And if you end up in the Maelstrom mission telling them that Meredith wanted to put a virus in their system, when Gilchrist says you'll never see her again, apparently in the water somewhere people have found her body with new shoes, cement overshoes, to be exact. But I think in both cases they are close to shore and you don't need to dive for long.

(I, OTOH, did not tell Maelstrom. :hat:)

3 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Uh.... what?

There are two leg mods which improve jumping. Charged jumping or double jump. With them you can reach a lot of places you can not reach otherwise. I tend to explore everything in open world games especially places that are difficult to reach and in many other games I tend to get stuck in ways that require a reload. I have yet to encounter such a problem in Cyperpunk.

4 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Finally hit act 2. I was grinding a long time in early gigs for street cred. I actually like the gigs though. It's a lot like a modern version of the little jobs in Genesis Shadowrun, which I loved. Awesome for an opening mission. Bit too long on the end, I found myself wanting to go to bed and had to stay up late as I didn't see a good place to pause things. 

Hacking seems like it sucks at first level, but that quickly goes away once you even upgrade your cyberdeck just a little. Money is easy to get now and it's street cred that is the main barrier to getting the good equipment.

Reveal hidden contents

Small nit pick. It seemed like I was making a big decision that would have large consequences in deciding not to cut out Dexter and I was impressed that I got to make such a decision this early on. The way things played out it made it seem like that didn't matter anymore.

Has anyone tried the Very Hard difficulty rating yet?

I started on very hard and disabled all aim assist options(some were enable by default) as I'm a bit of a masochist. My melee character is a bit of a glass cannon but it is fun.

21 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

There are two leg mods which improve jumping. Charged jumping or double jump. With them you can reach a lot of places you can not reach otherwise. I tend to explore everything in open world games especially places that are difficult to reach and in many other games I tend to get stuck in ways that require a reload. I have yet to encounter such a problem in Cyperpunk.

I get that, I was more astonished about how you thought you could move around well in the game.  But I guess PC master race is different in that it is not the janky, buggy, shit mess that it is on consoles. Let me ask you a question: does the driving still handle worse on PC than GTA3 that came out 19 years ago?

If you're having that much of a good time with this, @Ran you should strongly consider doing Deus Ex: Human Revolution after this. It goes into a lot more of these options than CP77 does, just with a lot more focused mission structure (and also more in-depth exploration of the different consequences for decisions).

25 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Yeah, the extra jumping often reveals other ways into mission buildings as well.

I'm not sure but I think the skill that allows you to do stealth takedowns from above (holy Batman!) doesn't work. I've tried dropping on people and it doesn't do anything and no prompt appears when someone is below you. I also can't seem to get the skill to do automatic pickups of people you've knocked out working either.

Let me ask you a question: does the driving still handle worse on PC than GTA3 that came out 19 years ago?

Yes for most of the cars, which handle like bricks on wheels, but no for the bikes, which handle reasonably well.

May be more game left for me than I thought. Just had several more side jobs pop up on my map, I assume this was trigged by hitting street cred level 40. And I just had back-to-back hour+ jobs (not part of the same chain), which was fun. Though there's enough going on all at once I actually think the game would've benefited from being a bit more linear (or even just more like The Witcher 3, where you were encouraged to do each of the 3 regions in turn).

It does seem like some things don't open up until your street cred hits certain levels (and maybe your regular level too? not sure); but that's about it. I haven't touched the main story in almost 20 hours, and yet I keep getting more and more side jobs. And some of the longer chains, like Panam's, I'm pretty sure I've finished off already.

37 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

I get that, I was more astonished about how you thought you could move around well in the game.  But I guess PC master race is different in that it is not the janky, buggy, shit mess that it is on consoles. Let me ask you a question: does the driving still handle worse on PC than GTA3 that came out 19 years ago?

Driving sucks although I switched to bikes which work well and there is already a mod that fixes cars afaik. 

The is PC master race talk I guess but a friend recently tried Skyrim on the PS3 because of quarantine and I lent him our Switch because it is really unstable. Open world games that run like garbage on consoles are nothing new even final versions.

Rockstar games are differnt I guess but I have only experinced the shitty PC ports. 

Zelda on the Switch is an example for a really stable open world release I guess.

It was clearly a mistake to release it for the last console generation but that is what you get if you release a port on day one. Rockstar knows what they are doing and even their PC ports tend to be buggy.

Edit: I should add that driving/riding in Rockstar games is something I do not enjoy doing when I play the PC ports. Maybe I do not remember correctly but driving in Rockstar games is worse than in the first Mafia game imo. I realize that it is a port problem though because of the different controls and that there are mods that improve that.

Cars are really nearly there. A simple adjustment in a file can adjust turning sensitivity -- most all the vehicles are simply way too twitchy and oversteer is a constant problem unless you take corners carefully -- and that should be something implementable in the UI with a patch, IMO. And as others say, motorcycles actually do feel quite good, so really it's just cars. 

Apparently the Javelina Type-66 Quadra has terrific traction and so is a lot more forgiving to drive.

@Fez

Yeah, jobs open up every time you gain a level in street cred. And there seem to be some missions that only trigger when certain things are done -- I got a bunch of signifcant new missions after completing the first act, for example, which fleshed out the setting more without being part of the main story.

@Werthead

I've heard that, and have it on Steam from some past giveaway, just never played it. 

Just now, Ran said:

Cars are really nearly there. A simple adjustment in a file can adjust turning sensitivity -- most all the vehicles are simply way too twitchy and oversteer is a constant problem unless you take corners carefully -- and that should be something implementable in the UI with a patch, IMO. And as others say, motorcycles actually do feel quite good, so really it's just cars. 

Apparently the Javelina Type-66 Quadra has terrific traction and so is a lot more forgiving to drive.

@Fez

Yeah, jobs open up every time you gain a level in street cred. And there seem to be some missions that only trigger when certain things are done -- I got a bunch of signifcant new missions after completing the first act, for example, which fleshed out the setting more without being part of the main story.

@Werthead

I've heard that, and have it on Steam from some past giveaway, just never played it. 

Maybe we should split the thread in console and PC versions? It does feel like we are playing different games. 

I mean I'm running the game at 40-50 fps on 3.5 year old hardware and it looks pretty decent and runs in a way that does not really harm my enjoyment of the game and the lack of stuff like proper mirrors or shitty effects when you shoot water is not something I notice during gameplay. It is a mess especially car physics(try stepping out of a moving car) but not in a way that really harms core gameplay for me imo.

The car handling really is poor. Grand Theft Auto V is probably the gold standard for open world games with good car handling (especially after GTAIV's poor car handling, which was weaker than the almost-ancient Vice City and San Andreas). Watch_Dogs 2 was also "okay" if not great. Mafia III was pretty rubbish as well.

There is definitely a lot of handling issues in CP77, to the point where I wonder if there was supposed to be a vehicle handling skill tree to make it better, as it feels rather baffling they'd release the game with driving in this state. I do hear it's better with a controller, but I'm not switching from a controller to M+K and back again every five seconds.

ETA: CDPR just released a hotfix for CP77 which removes the save game corruption bug. Phew.

Hotfix out that fixes the 8mb file corruption issue, though really it sounds like the people who ran into it were using duplication exploits. Also some memory-related fixes for consoles that reduce crashes.

I'm really enjoying exploration in this game. 

Spoiler

I just found the corpse of a hacker in a small garage protected by turrets while exploring. Info I found on a shard and on his computer shows the he is a guy Regina Jones got information from(I actually finished the side job mentioned before) and he paid for it because he crossed the wrong people. I like such little things as it reminds me of the notes and corpses you find in Bethesda games. The shards I find on people I kill tend to tell nice little stories too as do the conversation you can overhear if you are sneaky

I got only base hacking and tech skills on my melee character at this point but there is always another way when you are doing a side job and the charged jump mod is really useful for that.

I found one door that seems to require 20 body though unless you have the proper code. I hope I can find it again once I hit that because there seems to be no custom map markers. I found some random legendary items in similar locations.

My funniest bug was so far summoning my car and having it not be able to find its way so it just proceeded to do donuts in a busy sub-intersection at max speed, obliterating any barrier and pedestrian in its way. When I got to it the doors were completely gone, the windows trashed, and debris was flying everywhere. This was right after Delamain asked me if my car was repaired to my satisfaction, which was especially good.

I just read that the game is unreleased on the PS5/Xbox Series X and people are using the version released for the previous generation and even that does not run that well. Was the hardware hype before the release bullshit or does Cyperpunk have the same problems it seems to have on some AMD PCs on consoles?

Archived