C.T. Phipps

Cyberpunk 2077 [split from video games]

6 hours ago, Ran said:

CDPR has revealed in a financial report that the profit from the release of CP2077 more or less tripled the profit they made in the year The Witcher 3 was released, and that includes refunds being factored in,

The calls for them to abandon the property and move on seems even more premature, IMO.

The power of hype. 

Pawel Sasko, the lead quest designer, livestreamed today on Twitch, answering questions about his work while playing the start of the Nomad lifepath. He was primarily responsible for "The Pickup", apparently, along with one of his senior quest developers that was part of his team.

CDPR have confirmed that only 30,000 out of 13 million copies were refunded.

I mean, that's a huge amount by any normal standards, but considering the vilification of the game, it seems much lower than what people expected.

5 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I mean, that's a huge amount by any normal standards, but considering the vilification of the game, it seems much lower than what people expected.

But from the article:

Players were also able to get refunds through Sony and Microsoft, which were not included in this tally.

I've no idea if that might be a minuscule number, or the vast majority.

4 minutes ago, Fez said:

I've no idea if that might be a minuscule number, or the vast majority.

I think we can safely assume that the majority of refunds were on PS4 and maybe X-Box One, so yeah, that ends up not being quite as useful information as CDPR thought.

That's an indication then of how many of the ~5 million PC copies were refunded, which seems to be a pretty tiny number (0.6%). I couldn't find the average refund rate on Steam, but for indie games there seems to be an expectation that anything under 10% (!) is good. For an AAA game people seem to be saying anything over 0.3% is bad but others that 1% is when it starts becoming a concern.

I wonder if some wag will find a way of going through Reddit, Twitter and video game forums and find if the number of people saying they refunded the game on Steam is actually much greater than 30,000.

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Hah, no. Not remotely true. That might have been how many were refunded directly to CDPR, but it's not close to the number that was refunded elsewhere. 

(looks at the number)

BOY is that not true

If I had to guess, I'd say it doesn't count any refunded from Sony or MS stores directly, any refunds from best buy/amazon/gamestop directly, any refunds from steam (which is still likely the biggest refund source), and any other subretailers. 

Edited by Karlbear

Yeah, that was purely direct refunds through CDPR itself that they offered to people who could not get the refunds from other sources.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Was a refund on steam possible? They had the silly 2 hour rule the last time I tried to refund something.

Yes. I don't know if Steam changed its rules for CP2077 at CDPR's request, but as I understand it CDPR said that if Steam wouldn't accept the refund request they would honor it instead. And people on Reddit said that they were able to appeal when Steam turned them down because of that rule, and got their refunds. One guy had 7 hours of play when he decided to request it and ultimately got it.

I

Edited by Ran

Posted (edited)

Some people on Xbox had a lot more than that. 

Edited by Karlbear

1 minute ago, Karlbear said:

Some people on Xbox had a lot more than that. 

Yeah, I recall seeing people bragging of having a hundred hours and getting a refund. One guy was pissed off that they actually removed the game from his collection, he seemed to think they'd just give him the money back and let him keep it. (IIRC, CDPR actually didn't bother to ask people to return physical media if they asked for refunds, saying they'd figure that out at a later date.)

I got my refund from Amazon. You have 30 days to get a refund from any game you purchase.

On 5/3/2021 at 11:56 AM, Werthead said:

I'm still trying to parse this one.

Worded quite... poorly and using an & instead of "and" in that context just throws me off.  I guess general point is that Dr. Seuss can get cancelled but hyperviolent stuff does not?  Why he singled out Cyberpunk for that I have no idea other than it being a big selling game.