International Events 5, "As the World Turns"

DireWolfSpirit

lower house of the French parliament, voted unanimously for a new law that set at 15 the age under which no child can be considered to have consented to sexual relations. 

Does France not have an age of consent already, or is it just currently set to being below 15?

I think it's getting to a point where I can't really carry on eating wild caught fish. Too many species are being depleted, local marine environments are being damaged and now it seems it is a significant contributor to CO2 emissions over and above fossil fuel use.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03371-z.epdf?sharing_token=fIWQU51zM7mM6dJdZSZ-z9RgN0jAjWel9jnR3ZoTv0MwjSp_dqdYRo11ccDn9dqPW5D1xJuK8fpT__q4KFNUwgKdmwi3JyJVwmHRf-bxESQBSr9MbBwkap3XEr49FKSZrw7W6j8yaEyrI67o_vW36vuzGgf5WiXfPupj3TCNKWGPhX2RS00vTHE-BkQvziGb11MFJGGPZ1b_51DKmwtGk8pMFy1ivjK881Fj5VETogYf3fVIstOvZFm7GPLB6_wASYvalgBa2hb_ClZSqyd73EzCcTn8cASv1PLfbmhXewD4sVOkGUUAf_4MCv5oHLi-DYw3EwOgrOuddwY8mRV6IvqXSWjVLoNGPG6JD-fyGvwBvar4Jg0jUilQgzvQxpQ6&tracking_referrer=www.theguardian.com

Using satellite-inferred information on fishing activity by industrial trawlers and dredgers between 2016 and 2019, aggregated at a resolution of 1 km2, we estimate that 4.9 million km2 or 1.3% of the global ocean is trawled each year. This disturbance to the seafloor results in an estimated 1.47 Pg of aqueous CO2 emissions, owing to increased carbon metabolism in the sediment in the first year after trawling. If trawling continues in subsequent years, emissions decline as sediment carbon stocks become exhausted. However, after 9 years of continuous trawling, emissions stabilize at around 40% of the first year’s emissions, or around 0.58 Pg CO2. If the intensity and footprint of trawling remains constant, we estimate that sediment carbon emissions will continue at approximately 0.58 Pg CO2 for up to around 400 years of trawling, after which all of the sediments in the top metre are depleted. Although 1.47 Pg CO2 represents only 0.02% of total marine sedimentary carbon, it is equivalent to 15–20% of the atmospheric CO2 absorbed by the ocean each year and is comparable to estimates of carbon loss in terrestrial soils caused by farming. Although an unknown fraction of the aqueous CO2 is emitted to the atmosphere, the increase in CO2 in the water column and sediment pore waters can have far-reaching and complex effects on marine carbon cycling, primary productivity and biodiversity

Seems like it may contribute to oceanic changes rather than atmospheric CO2, but still, a bit of a worry.

A Brazilian senator died of COVID-19, the third to do so.

That's bad enough because he was only 58 (the other two were in their 80's) and one of the few people there to not have a long history of corruption and shady dealings.

But, Brazil being Brazil, he's not even cold and there's already a scandal, because a site (link in Portuguese) revealed that, while he was already comatose in the ICU, his password was used to present several amendments to a project- one he was an outspoken critic of and indicated he would vote against.

This is the same Senate in which in 2019 an election for it's presidency revealed that 82 votes were cast, despite the fact there are only 81 members.

Also, I swear I'm not bringing this up just because Anti-Targ mentioned he can't eat wild caught fish anymore, but Taiwan is urging people to stop changing their name to salmon to take advantage of a promotion by a local restaurant.

Around 150 people did change their names to ones like  “Explosive Good Looking Salmon.”, “Salmon Prince”, “Meteor Salmon King” and “Salmon Fried Rice”.

Now, I've done things I'm not proud of for the sake of free food, but even I have limits.

I see that the notorious president of Tanzania vanished from public view a couple of weeks ago. His death was announced this week. Heart problems. Insiders say, “a respiratory ailment”. ie Covid-19. The woman sworn in to replace him apparently plans to continue denying the existence of the virus.

So for all you who were hoping he’d die of Covid-19, looks like you got your wish!

3 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I see that the notorious president of Tanzania vanished from public view a couple of weeks ago. His death was announced this week. Heart problems. Insiders say, “a respiratory ailment”. ie Covid-19. The woman sworn in to replace him apparently plans to continue denying the existence of the virus.

So for all you who were hoping he’d die of Covid-19, looks like you got your wish!

Considering his replacement is more of the same, I'm not sure if it helps.

On 3/18/2021 at 5:04 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

I hadn't heard about this case before but it sounds truly horrific:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/18/firefighters-should-not-face-charge-raping-girl-french-court-rules?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1616072234

Any of our French boarders able to offer more insight on this? @Rippounet

On 3/18/2021 at 8:27 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

Does France not have an age of consent already, or is it just currently set to being below 15?

Seems like we didn't, which quite frankly I didn't know. On the contrary I always firmly believed that to be the case, and set at 15. I'm pretty sure I was taught the fact and read it in books or documents. I even distinctly remember holding this belief at a young age (when I started dating, which was before 15).
Without an age of consent, the way it works is that the judges automatically consider there was some form of constraint due to the victim's age and charge the accused with rape. In Julie's case they were unable to establish moral constraint because of things she wrote at the time.
It's terrible it took this case to bring attention to the law and change it.

On 3/6/2021 at 7:48 AM, DireWolfSpirit said:

Pope Francis continues to be an improvement over some of his recent predecessors, at least from my decidedly secular views .

He is to be visiting Iraq March 5-8.

Choosing to visit the ancient city of Ur, a cradle of civilization and revered by Muslim, Jews and Christians alike as the birthplace of Abraham.

He will also be meeting with Shia leaders and promoting interfaith cooperation between the faiths.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/3/6/pope-francis-meets-iraqs-shia-leader-al-sistani

Francis is aight for a religious guy, I believe he's a man of peace.

He also seems to have an intellectual curiosity, which again  is refreshing to see for many of us when we continually read about fundamentalist and evangelical loons that promote anti science ideologies here in the U.S.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/3/5/pope-to-visit-ancient-city-of-ur-the-cradle-of-civilization

So this post didn't age well. Just weeks later Francis proclaiming he cannot recognize/bless same sex unions/marriages cuz.....Catholics gonna Catholic.

Sighs......everytime I try to give the religious the benefit of a doubt they manage to disappoint me.

Is it a victory? Seems like the whole thing with the Philippines and its Muslim minority community is a bad situation. Great news that kidnap victims have been rescued, but I don't see any other positives in that story. Is anyone on either side of this attempting to be conciliatory towards the other side?

Horrific situation in Mozambique.

https://news.yahoo.com/least-one-british-expatriate-killed-172119128.html

Brutal extremist insurgents said to have carried out dozens of beheadings and have captured the town.

Unsurprisingly there's been a huge natural resource discovery in the area which the various parties are now killing each other over (layman's terms).

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

The Golden Pharaoh's Parade, quite possibly the most impressive sight anyone could imagine to witness, just stunning.

O thanks for that!

I've been periodically checking in on the protests in Mexico City this weekend. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/29/victoria-salazar-mexico-tulum-police-officers-charged-woman-dies-arrest

Mexico: Tulum police accused of ‘murder’ over death of woman knelt on by officers

Four officers in Mexican resort city charged with femicide after autopsy concluded that Victoria Salazar’s neck was broken

This was at the hands of police, but the murdering of women in Mexico is an ongoing devastation. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-56321145

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1135861

During my trip to Mexico City at the end of 2019, I came across the monument pictured in the article below and didn't really know what was going on at the time. 

https://wp.towson.edu/iajournal/2020/04/28/femicide-in-mexico/

Archived