International Events 5, "As the World Turns"

DireWolfSpirit

On 5/3/2021 at 4:16 PM, Crixus said:

Truly horrific. I admire Arundhati Roy so much - such courage

So do we all who love freedom 

hope she doesn't get targeted by Modi and his thugs.

She already has been

Hopefully her international recognition will help avoid that.

Hopefully 

On 4/30/2021 at 9:58 PM, Zorral said:

"India’s passion turns ‘grotesque’: As the outbreak worsens, a cricket league plays on."

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/04/30/world/covid-vaccine-coronavirus-cases?

Recall the howls of outrage from orange demon when the NFL shut down?  And how fast the money generating national and college sports franchises went back to playing -- no matter how often players got sick and / or test positive?

These sorts should be ridden in timbrels to the guillotine. 

Got your wish 

3 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Got your wish 

Heard the news on the BBC a couple hours ago -- and, really, I thought of 'you'. Ha!  But the riding tumbrils to the guillotine part was missing.  Where did you learn that information?  

More seriously though -- how could they possibly think with the millions and millions infected and the rates going up daily by hundreds of thousands, the players wouldn't be affected?  Profit and greed makes the obscenely bloated rich really really really stupid, and impervious to rationality and logic..

A metro overpass has collapsed in Mexico City, killing 24 people. Apoarently there were prior concerns about the design and construction and an investigation is going to be carried out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-56985164

Mexican authorities have promised a full investigation into the collapse of a metro overpass in Mexico City, as questions mount over the line's safety.

President Andrés Manuel López Obrador said "nothing would be hidden" while the mayor said an external company would be involved in the inquiry.

The elevated track on Line 12 fell on to a road, killing at least 24 people.

Concerns over possible structural failures had been raised since the line was inaugurated, in 2012.

There were concerns about design problems and construction standards, as well as allegations of corruption.

12 hours ago, Zorral said:

More seriously though -- how could they possibly think with the millions and millions infected and the rates going up daily by hundreds of thousands, the players wouldn't be affected? 

Living in a (bio) bubble

Profit and greed makes the obscenely bloated rich really really really stupid, and impervious to rationality and logic..

Obviously yes

Heard the news on the BBC a couple hours ago -- and, really, I thought of 'you'. Ha! 

Sheepish smile here

But the riding tumbrils to the guillotine part was missing.

Tsk Tsk Tsk 

Where did you learn that information?  

As I said, IPL was my only escape from reality 

"In Colombia, 19 Are Killed in Pandemic-Related Protests
The demonstrations over a proposed tax overhaul tied to the pandemic have morphed into a national outcry over rising poverty, unemployment and inequality."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/03/world/americas/colombia-protest-deaths.html

The rain finally stopped. Went out for a quick, rapid walk to WS Park and back. There’s an info table in the Park for Colombia activism. Colombiano protesters were/are demonstrating outside Bobst Library. I know Colombia’s having massive national protest re Covid-19, and a so-called ‘tax overhaul’ to fill ‘budget holes,’ while rank and file are suffering ever-increasing poverty, hunger and oppression.  But why in front of an NYU building? They could well be NYU students We do have a Colombian population in the City, though I don't think it is as large as the Brasilian one.

...decisions have done little to quell public anger, and the protests have morphed into a national outcry over rising poverty, unemployment and inequality set off by the arrival of the coronavirus last year.

Latin America, and South America in particular, has been especially pummeled by the virus, and many countries in the region face dire fiscal conditions if reforms are not made.

Mr. Duque was among the first to try to address his country’s economic problems, and the public response here does not bode well for other regional leaders, said Sergio Guzmán, the director of Colombia Risk Analysis, a consultancy.

“This is one of those moments where a key break in society is happening,” he said. “And people are fed up and waking up to the power of the streets.”

The protests have continued, in part, because of anger over what several human rights groups have called a heavy-handed state response in trying to control them.

Several instances of police abuse have been captured on video in recent days, including one in which a young protester is seen kicking a police officer on a motorbike. The video shows the officer respond by shooting at the protester as he runs away.

The protester was Marcelo Agredo, 17, the ninth grader who went out to march with his brother. He died soon after, according to his father, Armando Agredo. The death was confirmed by the country’s ombudsman, a government agency that investigates human rights violations.....

From the Center for Cuban Studies.  Totally legit.  Partner has worked with them for years.  Cuba has a vaccine pretty much ready to go, but no syringes.

Not only is this a humanitarian project, but it is good for US.  Cuba is such a close neighbor, like Mexico and Canada.

https://centerforcubanstudies.dm.networkforgood.com/emails/1210406?recipient_id=obOw5IaJzNXP-_4DF8O4kw||bmVkQHFiYWRpc2MuY29t

Reply-To:    [email protected]

Today we’re launching our most important campaign ever—it’s part of fighting the U.S. embargo against Cuba and will help save many thousands of lives. The Center for Cuban Studies is joining Global Health Partners, Code Pink, and dozens of other organizations in the U.S., Canada and Mexico to raise the necessary funds to send syringes to Cuba. That will mean that everyone can be vaccinated with one of the vaccines currently being produced in Cuba. Cuba needs at least 33 million syringes to vaccinate every man, woman and child in the country. It only has 1/3 of that number.

One organization, Global Health Partners, has obtained the necessary license from the U.S. Commerce Department to send 10 million syringes to Cuba. The Center and Code Pink will be bundling donations that will be forwarded to GHP once we’ve raised our goal amount. We hope to solicit enough contributions to buy ONE MILLION SYRINGES: Our intermediate goal is to raise enough to buy one-half that number. That will insure that almost half a million syringes help put the Soberana or Abdala vaccines into the arms of those living in Cuba.

This will help save the lives not only of Cubans, but of all those who travel in and out of Cuba. It will help insure that Center trips to Cuba can start once again. It will help improve the devastated Cuban economy. The U.S. embargo against Cuba has meant the devastation of many aspects of daily life in Cuba, none more so than the current food and medicine shortages.

Let’s do what we can to fight against Covid-19 and the embargo. Please contribute as much as you can, as soon as you can. Thank you for all you do to help

Sandra Levinson
Executive Director, CCS

Donate Now!
Center for Cuban Studies

20 Jay Street, 301
Brooklyn, NY 11201

Email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser:

https://centerforcubanstudies.dm.networkforgood.com/emails/1210406?recipient_id=obOw5IaJzNXP-_4DF8O4kw||bmVkQHFiYWRpc2MuY29t

Facebook    Twitter    Instagram

3 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

Late news. Maldives ex Prez speaker Mohammed Nasheed survives assassination attempt 

Oh, and Bill and Melinda Gates split, I'm more worried about the foundation and surely Bezos is smirking 

Netanyahu looks desperate to form a govt, Israel may get a new leader in Rivlin 

More likely it's the Jeffrey Epstein-Russian factor that has caused all these big shots to lose their marriages and step down from their positions in the last year or so.  Xeni Jardin is not the only one to notice this common denominator among them.

There sure are a lot of them.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antoinegara/2021/01/25/billionaire-leon-black-to-step-down-from-private-equity-giant-apollo-after-release-of-jeffrey-epstein-investigation/?sh=3f32fa4d9c79

One can go on and on listing them, which some reporters have.

17 hours ago, Zorral said:

More likely it's the Jeffrey Epstein-Russian factor that has caused all these big shots to lose their marriages and step down from their positions in the last year or so.  Xeni Jardin is not the only one to notice this common denominator among them.

Could you please explain it a little bit more? What do the Russians have to do with all of this?

I saw somewhere that speculation that Bill-Melinda divorce *might* have something to do with Epstein, but as with many things found in the interwebs I  didn't even give it a second though.

Is there really a connection?

17 hours ago, Zorral said:

There sure are a lot of them.

That for sure.

Maybe QAnon was right all along...

On 5/4/2021 at 6:06 PM, Maithanet said:

I know Israeli politics has at times had its own thread, but I don't see one now. Can we get an update @Datepalm (or any other informed boarders)?

It seems like Israel's govt is in a permanent stalemate (they are right on the cusp of their fifth national election in two years).  Netanyahu's cult of personality is such that he does not pay any price for demanding that Israeli voters return again and again to vote for/against him.  And while Israel has a vibrant multi-party system, Netanyahu himself has become issue #1, with all other piddling concerns like COVID, the economy, etc. secondary.  Netayahu will never willingly step aside from power, and (as if he needed further incentive) he is potentially be facing jail time if he ever leaves power.  The parallels with Trump are striking. 

There is a small chance that there will be a coalition without Netanyahu (with parties from the right and from the center/center-left - a unity that is really needed), but only if all involved will put their egos aside (which will probably not happen tbh). And honestly it's kind of a last chance, if they don't succeed in forming a government, I don't see how another election will change something (there is talk about holding direct elections for the prime minister, that might help, who knows)

I don't know if he needs to leave power to face jail time, he is currently under trial (first acting prime minister to be on trial while in power), I don't know enough about israeli law to say how him still being in power will affect the verdict/the sentence

33 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

72000 ex soldiers apparently sighned onto a letter warning of a civil war. Worrisome?

Do you think the fact that members of the military anonymously signed a shitty letter is "worrisome" ?

Not in itself I would say. The number here should be taken with extreme caution: although Valeurs Actuelles initially presented it as a letter signed by active members of the military (numbering around 300,000), it quickly pirouetted and presented it as a petition open to everybody instead.
The reason should be obvious: no one could be sure that people who'd signed the petition were in fact soldiers. I would even assume it was possible for one person to sign multiple times, thus inflating the number. Actual number was probably closer to 50,000, which would unfortuantely be perfectly consistent with the strength of the far-right in the military.

I dunno why you guys are so fascinated by this shit. Obviously, the chances of a coup are almost non-existent. These letters are to be taken in the context of the rise of the French far-right, at a moment when the media has -rather officially- proclaimed the start of the political campaign for the major 2022 elections (presidency + Parliament). No fascist would be crazy enough to try anything now, when the far-right is polling rather well and has an actual shot at wining the elections.
I could be worried of the military having funny ideas if the far-right loses and/or if the left wins, and even that is a pretty huge theoretical to work on, based on a couple of shitty letters.

Nah, the problem is that the government is encouraging this. Macron's recent celebration of Napoleon doesn't help for instance: he's playing the "nationalist" tune. As I said earlier, the fucker's desperate. It's a recipe for disaster all right, but I'm far more worried by the elections than by a coup.

5 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Oh, great news I just saw on Facebook. Apparently there’s a fission reaction happening right now deep in the bowels of Chernobyl, in an inaccessible basement room.

There's something about that in the New Scientist.  At least it sounds as if things are, if not exactly under control, then being monitored. 

Archived