International Events 5, "As the World Turns"

DireWolfSpirit

Two big stories: cable car crashes in Italy, killing at least 12. Children appear to have survived and have been taken to hospital.

Secondly, at least 21 dead after an ultra marathon in northern China went bad. Part of the 100-km marathon went over a mountain and the temperatures dropped, bringing rain, hail, snow and high winds, killing the runners, including two elite Chinese athletes. Rescue operations searched for 142 runners on the mountain. Presumably the death toll could increase.

36 minutes ago, rotting sea cow said:

Sounds similar to an incident involving a S. American head of state

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evo_Morales_grounding_incident

Yeah I remember that. Although I guess that was worse from a diplomatic point of view as a head of state was involved. 

No fighter plane though afaik and the pilots requested the landing because other countries closed their air spaces. 

That our government was willing to search the plane was I disgrace though. 

3 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

It seems Belarus diverted a plane from Greece to Lithuania to arrest dissident journalist. What a nightmare and the guy is facing the death penalty. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57219860.amp

Well, they were in Belorusian air space and there is an arrest warrant against the guy. If it had been Snowden crossing US territory the same thing would probably have happened. The guy should have known better than board that flight. Surely there's another way to get from Athens to Vilnius. 

2 hours ago, Loge said:

Well, they were in Belorusian air space and there is an arrest warrant against the guy. If it had been Snowden crossing US territory the same thing would probably have happened. The guy should have known better than board that flight. Surely there's another way to get from Athens to Vilnius. 

Using a fake threat to force a plane to land is dangerous because it means that Ryanair will now likely brief its pilots to ignore instructions from Belarusian air traffic control in future (unless they are actually flying to Belarus), which could be dangerous in the improbable event they really do learn of a real threat to an aircraft.

3 hours ago, Loge said:

Depends on how important he thought he was to Belarus.  Who told Belarus that he was on the flight?  The Russians?  Or were Belarus keeping him under active surveilance in Greece?

In hindsight, sure.  But did anyone think Belarus would cause an international incident for this guy?  Clearly he didn't!

According to the BBC, KGB agents followed him onto the flight and disembarked when he was arrested. Also apparently his girlfriend sitting next to him, who isn’t wanted for any supposed crimes, was arrested too.

It does seem like it’s going to cause them more trouble than it’s worth for arresting one dissident journalist but sounds like it was just a whim of Lukashenko.

10 hours ago, Werthead said:

Using a fake threat to force a plane to land is dangerous because it means that Ryanair will now likely brief its pilots to ignore instructions from Belarusian air traffic control in future (unless they are actually flying to Belarus), which could be dangerous in the improbable event they really do learn of a real threat to an aircraft.

I heard on NPR that they were closer to Vilnius’ airport than the Minsk Airport they were forced to divert to.  If this was an emergency they should have been vectored to the closest useable airport.

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I heard on NPR that they were closer to Vilnius’ airport than the Minsk Airport they were forced to divert to.  If this was an emergency they should have been vectored to the closest useable airport.

Apparently the threat notice was... "If you do not fulfill our demands, the bomb will explode over Vilnius". Specific enough to avoid the Lithuanian capital.

Protasevich must've known his whereabouts was being monitored by Belarussian KBG - having been on their terrorist list since Nov 2020. Either he was geographically unaware a direct flight from Athens to Vilnius flies over Belarus airspace or he did know and was complacent enough to think they would never risk such a stunt with a commercial flight. 

7 hours ago, ithanos said:

Apparently the threat notice was... "If you do not fulfill our demands, the bomb will explode over Vilnius". Specific enough to avoid the Lithuanian capital.

Protasevich must've known his whereabouts was being monitored by Belarussian KBG - having been on their terrorist list since Nov 2020. Either he was geographically unaware a direct flight from Athens to Vilnius flies over Belarus airspace or he did know and was complacent enough to think they would never risk such a stunt with a commercial flight. 

To be fair, I don’t think anyone thought they would do that

1 hour ago, TheLastWolf said:

How?  How will India ban those social media platforms?  Sonicwall filter for the entire country?  Fines or criminal sanctions if an individual uses these platforms?  How?

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

How?  How will India ban those social media platforms?  Sonicwall filter for the entire country?  Fines or criminal sanctions if an individual uses these platforms?  How?

Using cow dung urine milk concoction prepared by BJPRSSMODISHAH Potangoli pvt limited. Right wing racist, religious fascist fanatics. Xenophobic. Chauvinistic. Misogynistic. Bigots. Zealots. Idealogues. Still more words. 

Supposedly the main opposition launched a toolkit in Twitter to combat the devastating second wave, failed by the center. BJP centre edited it and posted only to have Twitter tag it misinformation. Dissent poured in. Now you have this. Freedom of speech expression only on paper. Constitution my foot 

I have noticed in the last few days the almost complete dearth of any reporting on India and covid-19.  Nearly zero, when it was on the top of the news every day prior, at least certainly the top of covid-19 reporting, and world news reporting.

Today, nothing on the front of either the NY Times or the WaPo.  Go to World section, and the only reporting is one of those fairly useless human interest stories about how families are coping.  No reporting on conditions, vaccinations, deaths, numbers, nothing at all. If one does do some digging though, inside the covid section, and dig one must, one will find "updated" graphs for the numbers in India.  Which numbers, seem to be falling.  Which, I go, "Can we thank gods for this or is this non-reporting?"

Belarus's military plane jacking and the Tokyo Olympics have pride of place in international news.

14 hours ago, Zorral said:

I have noticed in the last few days the almost complete dearth of any reporting on India and covid-19.  Nearly zero, when it was on the top of the news every day prior, at least certainly the top of covid-19 reporting, and world news reporting.

Today, nothing on the front of either the NY Times or the WaPo.  Go to World section, and the only reporting is one of those fairly useless human interest stories about how families are coping.  No reporting on conditions, vaccinations, deaths, numbers, nothing at all. If one does do some digging though, inside the covid section, and dig one must, one will find "updated" graphs for the numbers in India.  Which numbers, seem to be falling.  Which, I go, "Can we thank gods for this or is this non-reporting?"

Belarus's military plane jacking and the Tokyo Olympics have pride of place in international news.

One could almost believe that News papers value new news on the front pages over old news. 

Archived