Death: A Discussion Thread

A True Kaniggit

Going by the definitions that atheist means belief that there is no god(s) and agnostic is lack of knowledge or a lack of belief that there is a god(s), I consider myself agnostic. From my experience of the world, a secular model is a working model and no divine presence is required to explain phenomenology. At the same time, it's clear that our understanding of reality is profoundly limited, and so really we don't have any idea how bizarre things may be. Transcendent godlike organisms/AI? Maybe, but there's no way to know at this juncture. I hope not, because the one good thing about life is that it ends: there's a way out. If some being created this world and our limited existence, it's terrifying to think it will rule us beyond. This idea of a divine being, strangely, appeals to many people, but that is because they believe this being likes them and agrees with them, so they think god(s) would have a positive interaction with them. I find this unlikely.

I know some people give atheism a different definition than I have given, which is why I wanted to be clear what I mean when saying agnostic.

Anyway, I feel somewhat guilty about life. Life is a destructive hunger, constantly feeding itself until it reaches some Malthusian limit. Hunger overrides all other concerns for life. On Earth, humans are the most significant source of hunger, and our hunger is vast and nearly unchecked, as is our destruction. We are the Bakker-esque demons of the world, growing and consuming everything. We cause nearly unfathomable suffering to all around us to sustain our growth.

I don't believe there is such a thing as good and evil. But to my frame of mind, causing suffering is evil, and so the logical extension is that humans, in their current dominance, are the pinnacle representation of evil in this world.

But I don't believe in free will either. We are all cogs moving down our predetermined path in the machinery of reality.

Given this context of beliefs, I don't fear death. I kind of look forward to it, to alleviate my guilt of living. I feel somewhat bad when those with whom I have an emotional connection die, because part of being human is developing these weird community connections - its part of our programming. But the sadness is mitigated by a kind of relief. The primary contribution of a person's life is consumption of all that is around them, and the waste they leave behind. By dying, that person is no longer consuming, but rather contributing, as other organisms consume them.

7 hours ago, IFR said:

I don't believe there is such a thing as good and evil. But to my frame of mind, causing suffering is evil, and so the logical extension is that humans, in their current dominance, are the pinnacle representation of evil in this world.

Dang it. You got me. 

You don’t believe in evil?, but something is evil?

Explain. 

47 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Dang it. You got me. 

You don’t believe in evil?, but something is evil?

Explain. 

I don't believe in objective good or evil. Good and evil, such as they are, are opinions. In my opinion, causing suffering is evil. Someone may disagree and say causing suffering is great. There is no mathematical or experimental way to verify which opinion is true. It's just an opinion.

2 minutes ago, IFR said:

I don't believe in objective good or evil. Good and evil, such as they are, are opinions. In my opinion, causing suffering is evil. Someone may disagree and say causing suffering is great. There is no mathematical or experimental way to verify which opinion is true. It's just an opinion.

Boooo.

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Another 1st cousin killed himself today.

That’s three for the last four years.

I guess you have to expect these things in large families. (Thanks Grandma for having 8 kids) At least it was one I haven’t seen for 15 years. 

On 12/12/2020 at 10:41 PM, A True Kaniggit said:

I hope you live forever.

100 at a minimum though. 

Honestly, we all want to be immortal.

Who wants to live forever, when love must die.

On 12/13/2020 at 3:25 PM, Starkess said:

I'm not scared of death. I'm an atheist and am thoroughly unconvinced that there is any life after death. Nor would I find such a thing desirable, at least, not in the way it's typically portrayed (ie eternity). I am no more scared of not existing after life than I was not existing before life.

Dying I fear a bit, because I'm a coward.

Death is sad for those left behind, not the ones who die. IMO.

I would have thought that marquis de leech or Ser Scot would have waxed about Eru/the Gift of Man, etc by now.  What kind of nerds are in this thread?

Also, missed this the first few times it was front page.  My brother put it as well as I've ever heard.  something along the lines of "It sucks, you can't stop it, and keep living for now."

• 8 months later...
On 12/12/2020 at 10:14 PM, A True Kaniggit said:

What you are right now, that little bit of sentience reading this through one or two orbs using light (or through your fingers if you are blind) will cease to exist.

So how do you face/accept death? For yourself? For your family?

Inevitably, my body and mind will cease to exist. But the part of me that transcends those things -- my soul -- lives on. Of course I have no proof, but I do have faith (all sentient things) continue on after death. What worries me (secondarily) is that my ego, and the value I hold in my worldly accomplishments, will fade in importance as I become less tangible (in body and mind) and more intangible (in soul). What also worries me (primarily) is the loss individuality and the meshing into some sort of collective.

Accepting death and dying is no issue for me, it's life and living that's the challenge. I cope by way of meditation and stoicism; and I'm motivated by family and experiences.

Archived