Dungeons and Dragons and Table Top Gaming

Relic

1 hour ago, Relic said:

come join, i seem to have gathered a decent grp of friendly nerds. 

I clicked the link and it took me to your Discord, then I realized I haven't used it in a while and had to look up my account info. After all that, the link expired. So ... new invite please? Sorry for the bother.

I've never really played D&D,  my brother and I had the basic game and AD&D Players Handbook (the one with the huge glowing demon statue on the cover) back in the late 70's and messed around with it for a summer.  But I am well aware of it, starting with playing the Radiant Pool computer game back in the day (still have the box, floppy discs, and the physical coder wheel to decipher the password to unlock it somewhere).   But never found a group to play with.

But would like to thank whoever mentioned Matt Mercer and Critical Role above.  I have now lost most of the last two weeks binging the first 26 episodes of their second campaign (started with the Mighty Nein).   If I ever catch up with current campaign, I may got back and check out the Vox Machina Campaign.     Their voice talents and roleplay are amazing.  It's damn addictive, with the cliff hangers causing you to immediately start the next one even though you just finished watching a 4 hour episode.

Now, I have to go back to work, and go though withdrawal.  

On 1/4/2021 at 12:20 PM, Leofric said:

I've never really played D&D,  my brother and I had the basic game and AD&D Players Handbook (the one with the huge glowing demon statue on the cover) back in the late 70's and messed around with it for a summer.  But I am well aware of it, starting with playing the Radiant Pool computer game back in the day (still have the box, floppy discs, and the physical coder wheel to decipher the password to unlock it somewhere).   But never found a group to play with.

But would like to thank whoever mentioned Matt Mercer and Critical Role above.  I have now lost most of the last two weeks binging the first 26 episodes of their second campaign (started with the Mighty Nein).   If I ever catch up with current campaign, I may got back and check out the Vox Machina Campaign.     Their voice talents and roleplay are amazing.  It's damn addictive, with the cliff hangers causing you to immediately start the next one even though you just finished watching a 4 hour episode.

Now, I have to go back to work, and go though withdrawal.  

If you do go back to watch Season 1.  Keep in mind, the quality is low in the beginning as they were just starting, and you are jumping in mid campaign, so you are kind of diving in mid stream.

On 1/5/2021 at 10:29 AM, Guy Kilmore said:

If you do go back to watch Season 1.  Keep in mind, the quality is low in the beginning as they were just starting, and you are jumping in mid campaign, so you are kind of diving in mid stream.

As I understand it, the Vox Machina (Campiagn 1), takes place in the same world, but on a separate continent with little, or no, cross over between the two Campaigns.  So starting with Campaign 2, I'm only only missing out on some of their jokes and references, out of character, to previous events. 

Basically at this rate, unless I take vacation time for another binge it'll take me many, many months (over 90 4-hour episodes to go) to catch up to the current show, so will be a long time before I even think about watching the 1st Campaign.    But I saw that the animated Legends of Vox Machina is coming to Amazon Prime in 2021 so will watch that instead.

35 minutes ago, Leofric said:

As I understand it, the Vox Machina (Campiagn 1), takes place in the same world, but on a separate continent with little, or no, cross over between the two Campaigns.  So starting with Campaign 2, I'm only only missing out on some of their jokes and references, out of character, to previous events. 

Basically at this rate, unless I take vacation time for another binge it'll take me many, many months (over 90 4-hour episodes to go) to catch up to the current show, so will be a long time before I even think about watching the 1st Campaign.    But I saw that the animated Legends of Vox Machina is coming to Amazon Prime in 2021 so will watch that instead.

Yeah, there are only a couple of things that won't land right in Campaign 2 because of not knowing Campaign 1, but not a big deal.

The animation is about one of the really good arcs from Campaign 1.

I've been playing for about a decade now, started with 4th edition, which I enjoyed well enough. I didn't get to play much when I was in college, which was when 5E came out, and by the time I moved back after graduation, my play group had just started dipping their toe into Pathfinder. Pathfinder being the massive blackhole of options that it is, we feel deeply into it and have kept playing 1st edition pathfinder to this day. I've moved on since then, but me and a few of the guys from my old group started playing via roll20, and then my brothers decided they wanted to start a family game. where me any one of my brother alternate week to week running Pathfinder and 5E campaigns. I just started DMing a Starfinder game (Pathfinder IN SPACE) that is going to start using the Against the Aeon Throne adventure path, but since that only goes up to level 6, I'm working on more content for when we get there.

• 2 weeks later...

just seeing this - 

I've been playing D&D since I was a teenager, so over 30 years.  Started with 1st edition, skipped 3-4 and started 5th edition a few years ago.  

I've watched Critical Role several times through now - I love watching them interact with each other, figure out the problems and actually growing their characters together.  Mercer is a good DM, probably a great DM, but he has definitely said he's not the best and he dislikes what people have called the "Mercer effect".

We play once to twice a month (now that we're in general quarintine-ish)- been doing that for 20+ years as a reason to get together.  The game is fun, but it's the excuse to see friends.

The group I played with in high school played monthly for a long time, but now it's been a couple years since we last got together.

1 hour ago, Relic said:

We're been running an Eberron campaign for the last 3 weeks or so. Have a couple of board members playing, might have room for another if anyone is interested. 

I would love to, but don't have the time, settling into a new job and all.  (Might be even moving on to another new job.)  I might live vicariously through the board though, how is it going?

A friend also wanted to run something, but very catch as catch can when it comes to meeting up, but I am trying Ars Magica up.  I have always been curious about that system.

21 hours ago, Relic said:

It's ,y first time in Eberron, so for me its a bit rough as a DM but i THINK it's going ok? I'll let the players answer that one tho.

Whenever I play in someone else's Sandbox I remind my players that this is Guy Kilmore's version of XYZ and might not match up to what you know.

So, for Relic, there, at least lore wise,is no wrong way to DM Relic's Eberron.  I am sure you are killing it.

22 hours ago, Relic said:

It's ,y first time in Eberron, so for me its a bit rough as a DM but i THINK it's going ok? I'll let the players answer that one tho.

I'm having loads of fun, which is the purpose of any game. The setting is a tricky one with all the steampunk and techno-magic stuff, but I think we'll all get used to it if we're ready to give it some time.

Yup, you can make any campaign world your own. I actually got a bit annoyed by an article earlier this week where someone got into a tiswas because they saw people DMing Golarion as a low-magic setting and they were pointing out it has tons of crazy high-level magic, canonical steampunk robots and even laser weapons (kind of). That may be true or not, but the thing is that if the DM wants to run a low-magic campaign in that world, even if it means removing canonical elements, that's up to the DM. As long as that gets communicated well pre-game, that's fine.

I remember an interview with Ed Greenwood, creator of the Forgotten Realms, where he pointed out that his home version of the setting, and the 1st Edition iteration of the setting, are both relatively low-magic. The gradual power creep, proliferation of high-level characters and introduction of insane-level magic was all stuff brought in by other writers and editors and wasn't something he particularly liked from a personal DMing perspective but was happy to go along with it. But over the years he's offered advice on how to run the Realms as a low-magic setting, a high-magic one or some crazy SF thing with steam train lines linking the major cities and blimps and prop-planes flying around. It's always the DM's world, even when they're running a prebuilt setting.

Edited by Werthead

5 hours ago, Werthead said:

Yup, you can make any campaign world your own. I actually got a bit annoyed by an article earlier this week where someone got into a tiswas because they saw people DMing Golarion as a low-magic setting and they were pointing out it has tons of crazy high-level magic, canonical steampunk robots and even laser weapons (kind of). That may be true or not, but the thing is that if the DM wants to run a low-magic campaign in that world, even if it means removing canonical elements, that's up to the DM. As long as that gets communicated well pre-game, that's fine.

I remember an interview with Ed Greenwood, creator of the Forgotten Realms, where he pointed out that his home version of the setting, and the 1st Edition iteration of the setting, are both relatively low-magic. The gradual power creep, proliferation of high-level characters and introduction of insane-level magic was all stuff brought in by other writers and editors and wasn't something he particularly liked from a personal DMing perspective but was happy to go along with it. But over the years he's offered advice on how to run the Realms as a low-magic setting, a high-magic one or some crazy SF thing with steam train lines linking the major cities and blimps and prop-planes flying around. It's always the DM's world, even when they're running a prebuilt setting.

Yeah, always my philosophy as well.  Anytime I run a module or something from somewhere else, I always stressed this was Guy's Version and not necessarily the version that everyone else knew.  In part, I just didn't have it in me to learn the rules and to learn all the lore details.  I remember when I ran Dragon Heist, I said the same thing, this is going to be Guy's Verision of Waterdeep as several of my players had a ton more knowledge of the Forgotten Realms than I.  It usually works out.  I only had one person ever had a problem with it and I invited them to go look for a different game.

On 1/22/2021 at 11:26 PM, Relic said:

We're been running an Eberron campaign for the last 3 weeks or so. Have a couple of board members playing, might have room for another if anyone is interested. 

What time are the sessions? I'm interested...but also a newbie and in a time zone that may not work out :(

12 hours ago, Werthead said:

Oh for sure, Im running a homebrew right now IRL that has various bits of FR plucked out and pasted into a totally new and unique setting that only exists at our table. And that's fine. Eberron, however, presents new challenges (not that im complaining) that I havent run into while DMin anything but maybe Shadowrun. Since the world is super high magic, and things like magical trains and airships exist, its been a bit of a challenge to picture how things operate, form a logical view point. For instance, the city of Sharn is extremely vertical, and my brain just refuses to see it as a 3 dimensional city, so im constantly forgetting to describe how it SHOULD feel. The sky should be filled with bridges and towers and taxis and ships and falling objects and elevators and so on, but i feel like im doing a bad job describing it. 

1 hour ago, Lightning Lord said:

What time are the sessions? I'm interested...but also a newbie and in a time zone that may not work out :(

We are playing Tuesdays at 6pm GMT+1. Sessions are around 3 hours.  If you want to sit in on a session let me know!

Edited by Relic

9 minutes ago, Relic said:

Oh for sure, Im running a homebrew right now IRL that has various bits of FR plucked out and pasted into a totally new and unique setting that only exists at our table. And that's fine. Eberron, however, presents new challenges (not that im complaining) that I havent run into while DMin anything but maybe Shadowrun. Since the world is super high magic, and things like magical trains and airships exist, its been a bit of a challenge to picture how things operate, form a logical view point. For instance, the city of Sharn is extremely vertical, and my brain just refuses to see it as a 3 dimensional city, so im constantly forgetting to describe how it SHOULD feel. The sky should be filled with bridges and towers and taxis and ships and falling objects and elevators and so on, but i feel like im doing a bad job describing it. 

Sharn does feel like it would benefit from some kind of interactive 3D map. Quite a few cities would, but Sharn and Sigil from Planescape are the two that feel like they're really crying out for it.