Dungeons and Dragons and Table Top Gaming

Relic

Also, separate note.  Inkarnate is a fun map making tool with a free option, that works well, and it's paid option is great, along with being super cheap.  I use it to design fantasy maps and whatnot all the time, so if you are looking for something like that, check it out.

Wonderdraft is also a solid mapmaking programme, and Campaign Cartographer if you want something a bit more hardcore and versatile (although waaaaay harder to get to grips with initially).

I spent some time with Wonderdraft and Inkarnate but in the end opted to just create maps in pen-and-paper and then scan or photograph them and use them as the basis for a map in Paint-Net. Reasonably basic but gets the job done pretty quickly.

Edited by Werthead

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Wonderdraft is also a solid mapmaking programme, and Campaign Cartographer if you want something a bit more hardcore and versatile (although waaaaay harder to get to grips with initially).

I spent some time with Wonderdraft and Inkarnate but in the end opted to just create maps in pen-and-paper and then scan or photograph them and use them as the basis for a map in Paint-Net. Reasonably basic but gets the job done pretty quickly.

I will give Wonderdraft a shot.  They really updated inkarnate over the past year or so, it is, well, easier for me to use it to create my fantasy cartographer maps than to draw and scan.

Well, decided not to do Starfinder (space combat ended up being a mind fuck for me, and it coupled with me  approaching DM burnout just killed my enthusiasm) and opted to go to 5E in my personal setting. Since I am getting a bit burnt out so I'm going a bit more simple this time,  so they are starting in a tavern and are going to get beat up by twigblights/nettleblights/vineblights because I don't like goblins and kobolds as the default low level monster.

On 1/24/2021 at 1:54 PM, Guy Kilmore said:

Also, separate note.  Inkarnate is a fun map making tool with a free option, that works well, and it's paid option is great, along with being super cheap.  I use it to design fantasy maps and whatnot all the time, so if you are looking for something like that, check it out.

Yes, Inkarnate is such a good way to do things, especially once you figure out how to upload textures that you can then place your assets over. I was having all sorts of trouble creating a town map I like until I created a procedural generated map that I just imported into Incarnate and placed roofs over where the buildings were. Here is the final product which I am actually half way proud of given the tools I had.

8 hours ago, GrimTuesday said:

Well, decided not to do Starfinder (space combat ended up being a mind fuck for me, and it coupled with me  approaching DM burnout just killed my enthusiasm) and opted to go to 5E in my personal setting. Since I am getting a bit burnt out so I'm going a bit more simple this time,  so they are starting in a tavern and are going to get beat up by twigblights/nettleblights/vineblights because I don't like goblins and kobolds as the default low level monster.

Yes, Inkarnate is such a good way to do things, especially once you figure out how to upload textures that you can then place your assets over. I was having all sorts of trouble creating a town map I like until I created a procedural generated map that I just imported into Incarnate and placed roofs over where the buildings were. Here is the final product which I am actually half way proud of given the tools I had.

Nice job!  That looks good.  I haven't played with uploading assets yet.  I am enjoying 5e more than the Pathfinder system as a DM, I am finding it to be a little less to manage and easier to balance things.  Even low level creatures can be threatening to higher level players depending on the abilities of the creature.

My wife is doing some enrolling with insurance at her new job and just sent me a text that she added me to the Vision part.  (Haven't had Vision insurance since my last marriage ended in 2008!  :lol: )

The funny and relevant part though was the next text exchange:

Her: "I can add AD&D but have you already got that?"

Me:  "I didn't even know you liked Advanced Dungeons and Dragons.  I have a lot of the books from 2nd edition at mom's house.  But were you looking more at a 5e campaign?"

:lol:

She responded with three middle finger emojis.

:lmao:

Edited by Rhom

• 3 weeks later...

My copy of Cyberpunk Red arrived today. It's a massive, chunky tome of over 400 pages which is incredibly in-depth, and has some clever worldbuilding ideas and information. Setting the new tt game halfway between Cyberpunk 2020 and the video game Cyberpunk 2077 was a cool idea, along with the sequence of maps showing how Morro Bay became Night City and was then redesigned from its former ttrpg incarnation into the video game version.

They've definitely streamlined the rules a lot over 2020 (v3.0 has been stricken from canon, as previously indicated), but this is still a relatively old-skool game eschewing the modern tendency for a rules-lite approach. Although it's still far more legible than the last edition of Shadowrun.

Had my first DnD session recently. I really enjoyed it! It's certainly different from watching the "pros" do it on the Youtube.

I struggled a bit to make sure I wasn't overdoing it. I wanted to get really into the roleplay. I worried I was involving myself too much, even though I think my character would have done the things I had him do. I had to remind myself that I must shut up from time to time give everyone a chance to react to situations, too.

I like having a different kind of DM from what I am used to watching. DM did things I didn't expect, approached things in different ways, and it made the game a lot more fun (even when it frustrated me).

Want more.

The beauty of D&D is the collaborative story telling that allows you to create a world that exists pretty much ONLY at the table you are playing, in the minds of the people you are playing with. Thinking of it in those terms will also help you remember to allow other's to talk. As a DM I had a session last week where i spoke maybe 3 times in one hour. I spent the rest of the time listening to my players RP.  

On 2/23/2021 at 3:49 PM, Relic said:

The beauty of D&D is the collaborative story telling that allows you to create a world that exists pretty much ONLY at the table you are playing, in the minds of the people you are playing with. Thinking of it in those terms will also help you remember to allow other's to talk. As a DM I had a session last week where i spoke maybe 3 times in one hour. I spent the rest of the time listening to my players RP.  

Very much agree. I was just excited and wanted to get really into the role-play. The two other players were a bit more about getting through the quest, getting stuff done. I adjusted.

I think I was less clueless than I feared. Having watched CR so much, I think mechanics and general gameplay basics weren't too awkward. I did avoid a heavy spellcaster class because of being new, though.

I'm kind of in the middle. I like RP, but right now I feel I'm really rusty with it. Looking at another of Relic's games on our discord, I can take a guess at which game he only spoke a handful of times :) I think our groups got sorted pretty well by player type.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got Candlekeep Mysteries in the mail. Looking forward to playing it with my friends. I'll probably be DM-ing those adventures, since we're planning on rotating DMs so that everyone gets to play a character and everyone who wants to gets to DM.

Also, I backed The One Ring 2nd edition on Kickstarter. Based on current schedule, the first version of the rules will be available in PDF at some point during the summer and all the backer's material would be sent during November. Can't wait to get that one!

On 3/25/2021 at 10:11 AM, baxus said:

Just got Candlekeep Mysteries in the mail. Looking forward to playing it with my friends. I'll probably be DM-ing those adventures, since we're planning on rotating DMs so that everyone gets to play a character and everyone who wants to gets to DM.

I've read the first 5 stories, and ran the firt one. Thus far, none of them are good...