Dungeons and Dragons and Table Top Gaming

Relic

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

How do you get around players abusing rest mechanics to heal up and get spells/etc then?

I should be more specific here, I think. Wandering monsters are fine, but random encounters are what I'm talking about here. IE rolling on a table to determine what they encounter.

Sometimes, very rarely, I'll use random encounters, but usually only when players do something stupid or spend too much time dicking around in a dangerous area. Or I'll have a "random" encounter to show them what sorts of creatures are living in an area.

But yea, wandering monsters, good. Random encounters, blech.

• 1 month later...

A couple of years back, a company was set up calling itself "TSR" (the name of the company that created D&D in 1974 and was discontinued in 2000 after being bought out by Wizards of the Coast) and announced it was launching a new edition of the 1980s Star Frontiers SF game. The company immediately declared that it would be doing "old-school" gaming as if that was some kind of revelation (the OSR movement being at least 22 years old at this point and, for the most part, not trash).

Wizards of the Coast, who own both the TSR trademark and copyright to Star Frontiers, seem to have watched this unfold bemusedly whilst sending C&D letters behind the scenes. Then they actually got their hands on a playtest copy of Star Frontiers and immediately called in Hasbro's legal department to drop a massive nuclear bomb of legal action on the project. The preliminary filing is over 100 pages long.

The actual playtest has now leaked and wow:

The filing thread is crazy on its own:

Edited by Werthead

Two hours of playing Arkham Horror at Chicon8 was enough to reignite my desire for more table top gaming.

I've been trying to get back into The Lord of the Rings LCG, since you can play solo, but wow is it difficult. I only have the original core set. I know there is revised core set, but a lot of expansions seem to be out of print, so I'm not sure if it's worth pursuing.

In the meantime, I decided to expand my cards for A Game of Thrones LCG 2nd edition, which also has a lot of out of print sets, but I was able to find a decent amount of sets on Amazon. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've never played D&D (though I rolled a character for a game in uni that never got started) and don't know where in the UK this castle is, but an actor acquaintance (recently wrapped his part in Zack Snyder's Rebel Moon) is DMing this:

I don't know much about it, figured it would be of interest here though.

39 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

I've never played D&D (though I rolled a character for a game in uni that never got started) and don't know where in the UK this castle is, but an actor acquaintance (recently wrapped his part in Zack Snyder's Rebel Moon) is DMing this:

I don't know much about it, figured it would be of interest here though.

Gotta say, i dislike this dude. "All of the LA DMs". Get fucked bro. 

• 3 months later...

"LA Dungeon Masters" cringe aside, he certainly knows the value of a good table.

Although it struck me after it was installed that it seems a bit closer to one wall than the other, which is odd. Might just be the perspective.

Also, the monster flex of casually dropping that Larry fucking Elmore has painted a portrait of your PC (I also enjoy the fact both Mananiello and Diesel seem to have very basic PCs which they think are the most amazing things ever, it's kind of endearing).

I misread "portrait of your PC" for a moment and tried to figure out what a compute had to do with Elmore.

I think it's the perspective throwing you regarding the table. If you compare to the windows, or the entrance into the space, it seems pretty dead in the middle.

• 4 weeks later...

It's not D&D, but it is tabletop gaming, and I couldn't find a separate topic for it so I decided to ask here first.

Is anyone into Warhammer? I've been thinking about it for 25 years and there were always some reason why I couldn't do it at that moment. Either I didn't have the money or didn't have the time or some other hobby caught my eye. Finally, I have decided to take the plunge and go for it. Since I prefer fantasy to SF settings I went with Age of Sigmar. Skaven seem to me to be the most interesting so far and I loved Dwarfs ever since I read The Hobbit so I got some of those miniatures to start with.

At the moment, I'm not planning to collect huge armies or play in tournaments or anything like that. If that comes in time, it's great but at the moment I just want to try something new and play around with painting these minis and getting better at that.

The question is is there anyone else here who's into it?

10 hours ago, baxus said:

It's not D&D, but it is tabletop gaming, and I couldn't find a separate topic for it so I decided to ask here first.

Is anyone into Warhammer? I've been thinking about it for 25 years and there were always some reason why I couldn't do it at that moment. Either I didn't have the money or didn't have the time or some other hobby caught my eye. Finally, I have decided to take the plunge and go for it. Since I prefer fantasy to SF settings I went with Age of Sigmar. Skaven seem to me to be the most interesting so far and I loved Dwarfs ever since I read The Hobbit so I got some of those miniatures to start with.

At the moment, I'm not planning to collect huge armies or play in tournaments or anything like that. If that comes in time, it's great but at the moment I just want to try something new and play around with painting these minis and getting better at that.

The question is is there anyone else here who's into it?

We've got three different tabletop gaming things going on at the moment (RPGs, board games and the D&D OGL disaster which spawned some general D&D side-discussion) but nothing exclusively on wargames/miniatures. It's probably more board game than RPG-based, but no great shakes.

For Warhammer, I'm reasonably interested in 40K's lore and fiction, I'm not really interested in Age of Sigmar and I don't have a huge interest in the tabletop game. My friend had two relatively complete armies (Empire and Elves, I believe) when we were at school and played a fair bit of it then, but I got annoyed after spending years selling Games Workshop products and seeing their insane markups, which really price-gouged the hell out of young kids.

Recently I have gotten into the BattleTech miniatures game, which is decidedly cheaper (you only have 4-8 units per side, rather than dozens) and much more in-depth.

13 hours ago, Werthead said:

I got annoyed after spending years selling Games Workshop products and seeing their insane markups

I get it that they are making a lot of money, but fortunately I'm in a position to not worry about that. Either way, I'm not planning on spending some insane amount of money over a short period of time. I'm just dipping my toe in these waters, not planning on deep sea dive just yet.

• 4 weeks later...

It's not table top gaming but it is D&D, and I didn't spot a separate thread for it.

Is D&D Honour Among Thieves the best ever movie to flop at the box office?

I mean it hasn't quite been an abject failure, but unless it blows up on streaming services there is no way it gets a sequel, and that's a damned shame because I had a lot of fun watching it. The only way to save it IMO is for Paramount to sell its rights to Netflix so that it has a more or less direct D&D response to The Legend of Vox Machina on Amazon.

Bladerunner 2049 also bombed and it was a great fucking movie. Not to deny that D&D wasn't good, it was and I really, really enjoyed it, but good movies bombing has unfortunately been a thing for a while now.

Back to tabletop gaming, I'm planning to DM a couple of adventures for some friends of mine. At the moment we have a party of three, two of which are newbies who haven't played before, and the third is a close friend of mine I've been playing D&D since I started playing it some 20 years ago. We're looking for the fourth at the moment, but if we don't find anyone we'll start with three and see how it goes.

Since we're all really short on time, I'll run the pre-made adventures from Candlekeep Mysteries. I think they're decent when it comes to getting new players interested, and I wouldn't want to invest a lot of time into creating some elaborate campaign only to have them say: "ah, it's not what we thought it would be" and bail.

Fun times ahead!

On 4/14/2023 at 1:44 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

I mean it hasn't quite been an abject failure, but unless it blows up on streaming services there is no way it gets a sequel, and that's a damned shame because I had a lot of fun watching it. The only way to save it IMO is for Paramount to sell its rights to Netflix so that it has a more or less direct D&D response to The Legend of Vox Machina on Amazon.

I quietly suspect this might be a movie that just has long legs, as it's two weeks in and has almost cleared its budget. I'm going to be watching the numbers with interest over the next two weeks, to see where it's at after a month. (I do wish it were doing better business, as this is movie is a flippin' slam dunk and a glorious joy ride of a movie.)