Does anyone think this book quote is a hint towards Jon Snow being a king?

Free folk Daemon

Does anyone think this book quote is a hint towards Jon Snow being a king/one possible heir to the throne?

It's in 'A Game of Thrones' in Eddard I:

"Kings are a rare sight in the North." (said by Ned)

Robert snorted. "More likely they were hiding under the snow. Snow, Ned!" The king put one hand on the wall to steady himself as they descended.

I understand Robert and Ned are talking about the people of the North and where they are. The juxtaposition of then talking about kings and then Robert saying '...they were hiding under the snow' and then stressing the word snow a second time makes me think Martin placed one of his hints here.

Any thoughts? Thanks,

1 hour ago, Free folk Daemon said:

Does anyone think this book quote is a hint towards Jon Snow being a king/one possible heir to the throne?

Robert snorted. "More likely they were hiding under the snow. Snow, Ned!" The king put one hand on the wall to steady himself as they descended.

I understand Robert and Ned are talking about the people of the North and where they are. The juxtaposition of then talking about kings and then Robert saying '...they were hiding under the snow' and then stressing the word snow a second time makes me think Martin placed one of his hints here.

Any thoughts? Thanks,

I too speculated on a funny hint 

Shrug 

Probably my favorite hint for the irony when Arya and Jon are watching the training and discussing Robb and Joffery 

"Why aren't you down in the yard?" Arya asked him.
He gave her a half smile. "Bastards are not allowed to damage young princes," he said. "Any bruises they take in the practice yard must come from trueborn swords."
"Oh." Arya felt abashed. She should have realized. For the second time today, Arya reflected that life was not fair.

Yep Martin hints a lot that Jon Snow would be potential King,  To me Jon Snow seems like Martin's version of Aragorn,

Both quotes from Clash of Kings

Davos I - Axel Florent having a epiphany.

"The Lady Melisandre tells us that sometimes R'hllor permits his faithful servants to glimpse the future in flames. It seemed to me as I watched the fire this morning that I was looking at a dozen beautiful dancers, maidens garbed in yellow silk spinning and swirling before a great king. I think it was a true vision, ser. A glimpse of the glory that awaits His Grace after we take King's Landing and the throne that is his by rights."

Jon VIII - Jon 

Jon went to cut more branches, snapping each one in two before tossing it into the flames. The tree had been dead a long time, but it seemed to live again in the fire, as fiery dancers woke within each stick of wood to whirl and spin in their glowing gowns of yellow, red, and orange.

12 hours ago, Eltharion21 said:

Yep Martin hints a lot that Jon Snow would be potential King,  To me Jon Snow seems like Martin's version of Aragorn,

Both quotes from Clash of Kings

Davos I - Axel Florent having a epiphany.

Jon VIII - Jon 

I don't like the king Jon idea, but that's a great catch.

6 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

I wonder if Ned got very nervous with Robert coming all the way up there, and sniffing around Jon's mother's grave, then making jokes like that.

Maybe. Though Ned probably later asked himself what the heck was he worrying about when he figured out the truth about Joffrey and his siblings. Robert was dense enough to never even question that after all.

2 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

Maybe. Though Ned probably later asked himself what the heck was he worrying about when he figured out the truth about Joffrey and his siblings. Robert was dense enough to never even question that after all.

I wonder if Ned ever got to question if half his kids were his.

Jon will be a king, but not a King of Westeros. 

He will be the Corn King. He will sacrifice himself for the land. 

Jon XII, DWD

He rose and dressed in darkness, as Mormont's raven muttered across the room. "Corn," the bird said, and, "King," and, "Snow, Jon Snow, Jon Snow." That was queer. The bird had never said his full name before, as best Jon could recall.

On 12/14/2020 at 1:54 PM, CamiloRP said:

I don't like the king Jon idea, but that's a great catch.

All jokes aside, I don't think I truly like any of the potential end Kings/Queens. I would like Stannis or Aegon, but they are both 100% sure not going to be Kings by the end (Aegon will be King until Dany kills him), but of those who might be at the end, no one is truly appealing

- Jon might work, but for now he'd fit like a round tube through a square whole

- Dany would be an absolutist tyrant pretty much

- Bran the Broken would be just awful for very obvious reasons

- And Euron. Actually hell Euron is the King this world deserves. Hail the nightmare baby!

Just now, butterweedstrover said:

No, but there is a stark hinted at since book 1. 

But people ignore that because they want Jon to be king.

They ignore it because it's stupid and it triggers PTSD to the abomination. I agree that Bran is a likely, from both the abomination and hints in the books, but honestly, I'd take Euron over him

37 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

All jokes aside, I don't think I truly like any of the potential end Kings/Queens. I would like Stannis or Aegon, but they are both 100% sure not going to be Kings by the end (Aegon will be King until Dany kills him), but of those who might be at the end, no one is truly appealing

- Jon might work, but for now he'd fit like a round tube through a square whole

- Dany would be an absolutist tyrant pretty much

- Bran the Broken would be just awful for very obvious reasons

- And Euron. Actually hell Euron is the King this world deserves. Hail the nightmare baby!

I convinced myself a few weeks back that my preferred ruler is Myrcella

• 3 months later...

There are a few.

"Kings are a rare sight in the north." Robert snorted "More likely they were hiding under the snow. Snow, Ned!"

When Gilly entered, she went at once to her knees. Jon came around the table and drew her to her feet. "You don't need to kneel for me. That's just for kings."

She rubbed away a tear angrily, the way Arya might have done it. “Will you help me?”

“Marriages and inheritance are matters for the king, my lady. I will write to Stannis on your behalf, but—”

Alys Karstark laughed, but it was the laughter of despair. “Write, but do not look for a reply. Stannis will be dead before he gets your message. My uncle will see to that.”

“Arnolf is rushing to Winterfell, ’tis true, but only so he might put his dagger in your king’s back... Lord Stannis is marching to a slaughter. So he cannot help me, and would not even if he could.” Alys knelt before him, clutching the black cloak. “You are my only hope, Lord Snow. In your father’s name, I beg you. Protect me.”

“No.” He could hear the defeat in her voice. “Sorry to be of trouble, m’lord. I only … they said the king keeps people safe, and I thought …”

Damn her, he thought resentfully, and damn Sam twice for sending her to me. What did he think I could do for her? We’re here to fight wildlings, not save them.

I had the cart before the horse, Davos said. I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne.

He wants me gone, Catelyn thought wearily. Kings are not supposed to have mothers, it would seem, and I tell him things he does not want to hear.

“That’s the real king of this castle right there, older than sin and twice as mean... One time the king was feasting the queen’s father, and that black bastard hopped up on the table and snatched a roast quail right out of Lord Tywin’s fingers. Robert laughed so hard he was like to burst. You stay away from that one, child.”

But they were all dead now, even Arya, everyone but her half-brother, Jon. Some nights she heard talk of him, in the taverns and brothels of the Ragman’s Harbor. The Black Bastard of the Wall, one man had called him.

I pray for a glimpse of Azor Ahai, and R'hllor shows me only Snow.

She knows who he is, She sees things in her fires.

Arya he thought, hoping it was so. Ashes and cinders.

Kings and dragons.

"King," croaked the raven. The bird flapped across the solar to land on Mormont's shoulder. "King," IT said again, strutting back and forth.

"He likes that word," Jon said, smiling.

"An easy word to say. An easy word to like."

"King," the bird said again.

"I think he means for you to have a crown, my lord."

"The realm has three kings already, and that's two too many for my liking." Mormont stroked the raven under the beak with a finger, but all the while HIS eyes never left Jon Snow

"You have my word, Lord Snow. I will be a proper wildling princess for your queen.".

This one works both ways. Jon being the King and Val being his end game spouse.  

"Allow me to give my lord one last piece of counsel," the old man had said, "the same counsel that I once gave my brother when we parted for the last time. He was three-and-thirty when the Great Council chose him to mount the Iron Throne."

Kill the boy, Jon Snow. Winter is almost upon us. Kill the boy and let the man be born.

It takes a man to rule. An Aegon, not an Egg. Kill the boy and let the man be born.

"Jon laughed, laughed like a drunk or a madman, and his men laughed with him. "

He had spent the best part of his own life obeying the commands of drunkards and madmen.

Second one is from Barristan's PoV and he had served 3 or rather 4 Kings and Queens.

"Different roads sometimes lead to the same castle. Who knows?"

“Marriages and inheritance are matters for the king,

“Your father is a castellan, not a lord. And a castellan has no right to make marriage pacts.”

And this marriage is mine own work, after all.

“Why aren’t you down in the yard?” Arya asked him.

He gave her a half smile. “Bastards are not allowed to damage young princes,” he said. “Any bruises they take in the practice yard must come from trueborn swords.”

That is also a very funny one. A bastard Joffrey isn't allowed to touch the Royal  family Jon.

Mance should have let me take the direwolf. There would be a second life worthy of a king.

On 12/13/2020 at 8:16 AM, Free folk Daemon said:

Any thoughts? Thanks,

Could be, but until it's confirmed one person's foreshadowing is another's red herring.

If Jon is to be a king, my first question is, king of what? The way things are going, it doesn't look like there will be a single kingdom much longer. And unless he fights his way to the Iron Throne, he wouldn't be considered a legal Targaryen heir to begin with.

Plus, I can't believe Martin, of all people, would turn to the ancient trope of the bastard/orphan/whatever turning out to be the true king. It's been done to death, and Martin says he hates that.

So King in the North maybe? King of the wildlings? How about the new Night King? That would certainly be a twist.

I think all the prophecies and foreshadowing has to mount to an ever more certain future of Jon as King, until suddenly it goes off track as if fate had been taken off course.

Tyrion Lannister had claimed that most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it, but Jon was done with denials. He was who he was; Jon Snow, bastard and oathbreaker, motherless, friendless, and damned. For the rest of his life—however long that might be—he would be condemned to be an outsider, the silent man standing in the shadows who dares not speak his true name. Wherever he might go throughout the Seven Kingdoms, he would need to live a lie, lest every man's hand be raised against him. But it made no matter, so long as he lived long enough to take his place by his brother's side and help avenge his father.

"One day, Bran, you will be Robb's bannerman, holding a keep of your own for your brother and your king, and justice will fall to you. When that day comes, you must take no pleasure in the task, but neither must you look away. A ruler who hides behind paid executioners soon forgets what death is."
That was when Jon reappeared on the crest of the hill before them.

Everything goes as expected, until it suddenly stops doing so, as if it had been all a trick.

She takes your member in her mouth, and you moan with the pleasure of it and think, how sweet, how fine, how good this is . . . and then her teeth snap shut and your moans turn to screams. That is the nature of prophecy, said Gorghan. Prophecy will bite your prick off every time.

Archived