Does anyone think this book quote is a hint towards Jon Snow being a king?

Free folk Daemon

The hints about Jon only make subtle fun of the fact that as per a certain interpretation of the royal succession and if there had been no Rebellion, etc. he would have a decent shot as being recognized as the rightful king.

This isn't foreshadowing for Jon actually becoming king ... just a play with George's secret knowledge about his true heritage.

10 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

This isn't foreshadowing for Jon actually becoming king ... just a play with George's secret knowledge about his true heritage.

I agree it is a hint, but most likely hints at him being a rightful king (ie Rhaegar married Lyanna) or at least the blood of a king rather than sitting the Iron Throne.

Melisandre also keeps looking For Azor Ahai in the flames but only sees snow.

I suppose he could end up King and Azor Ahai but I've decided to take hints as a game rather than a certainty.

1 hour ago, Castellan said:

I agree it is a hint, but most likely hints at him being a rightful king (ie Rhaegar married Lyanna) or at least the blood of a king rather than sitting the Iron Throne.

Well, you can read it as a hint that if Rhaegar had ruled and if Aegon had died, then Jon Snow may have been king. Or also if Rhaegar and Aegon and Viserys are dead and anyone in Westeros were to care to crown a Targaryen king and they knew about Jon Snow then, perhaps, they might turn to him.

But I'd just read it as George fooling around with the fact that the alleged bastard is a hidden dragon.

This has no deeper meaning as per what's going to happen in the future on the political level - something you can also draw from the fact that there is no foreshadowing establishing that Joffrey, Tommen, Robb, Stannis, Renly, Balon, Euron, and Daenerys are going to crowned or be proclaimed king/queen.

If we are assuming that the author uses such devices we would more often jump on hints indicating that this or that character is going to wear a crown in the near future.

Archived