Canadian Politics: Is that a Light at the End of the Tunnel?

Fragile Bird

6 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

They have about 1.65 M vaccinations done, a rate of approximately 150 k a day. We have 217 k done, and the media are bitching we've received 425 k doses, so why haven't more been done. Well, duh, 50% have been held back, and other doses are for remote areas. Second doses must have started this week.

Yeah, I think people are being harsh. As you say - it's not like a ton of doses have been delivered here. The slowish US rollout is a little less excusable IMO. And EU is even worse given that they have the worst mortality rates. 

On a personal note...my Australia plans are in disarray today (perhaps to the joy of some on this thread!) They have some of the new variant circulating over there now so are cracking down on foreign travel. Understandable but frustrating. 

Update

Jan            2Sa     3Su     4Mo     5Tu     6We    7Th      8Fr                          

BC                 -        -       2211     428      625     761     617                          

AB              900*   400*   1126     843    1123     968    1183  

SK              485     238      286     153      277      334     336            

MB             327     101      118     130      176      208     222      

ON           5839   2964     3270  3128     3266   3519   4249

PQ                -     7613     2546   2508    2641   2519   2588    

Atl-4              23       7         24       31        47       29      20               

North              -        -           5         -           1         3        1                                                     

Total          7583 11323    9588   7222    8156   8343   9216

That huge number in Ontario was apparently due to backlog being clean up. Today's number is lower by 800. New Brunswick sees to be having a breakout of some kind. Many of Ontario's new cases reflect, what else, LTC cases, but also spread in the suburbs.

The vaccine tracker now shows more than 285k vaccines administered. Last night it was 240k, so people are moving along. We are into 2nd shots now.

Repeating what I said in the Covid thread.

Well, the province of Ontario has discovered 8 more cases of the UK variant, B.1.1.7 (I have to remember that name and stop using UK and will going forward now). Five cases were connected to someone who travelled, but unfortunately the other three don't seem to have any connections to travellers, so it looks like it's in the community. The fear here is that modelling suggests it could become the dominant virus by the end of February, and if it does, the numbers in Ontario could be horrific, leaping to 12,000 cases a day to 40,000 a day very soon thereafter.

The first two people in Ontario reported with the variant live in a small town and it was reported that they had no connections to any travel or travellers. That was discovered to be a lie very quickly, and now they face charges under the Public Health Act. When their positive tests got reported, they were repeatedly questioned about their contacts and they repeatedly lied. Why the hell would you do that? Why would you say, "no we don't know anyone who travelled to the UK, nope, not at all"?

In other news, Ontario has entered Lockdown 2.0, where all non-essential trips are banned under threat of fine, but all non-essential businesses are still allowed to operate. All non-essential construction will be stopped, but nearly all construction has been effectively defined as essential. More propaganda from the useless tit in Queen's Park and his cadre of seals.

We have transcended time and space and entered the bizarro universe of DEAR LEADER FORD.

Oh, and FOLKS, let me just leave this here for you

"Our province is in crisis," Premier Doug Ford said. 

"The system is on the brink of collapse. It's on the brink of being overwhelmed."

Yup. Our system is on the "BRINK OF COLLAPSE" (his quotation) and yet the restrictions being implemented still barely change the status quo.

Fucking tools.

The UK (and probably SA) strain were always likely to enter Canada anyway. There are way too many people crossing the land border every day who could easily have those strains from the chaos that is the US. 

The new restrictions in Ontario...it feels too little, way too late. I would’ve had these settings in place (and probably stricter) by the start of fall. I do think though that things are looking OK outside Ontario. QC is having a milder second wave in terms of fatalities thus far and western Canada has stabilized a lot since the start of December.

We have vaccinated one out of every 100 people now. A start!

Update

Jan            4Mo     5Tu     6We     7Th      8Fr     9Sa    10Su  11Mo                          

BC             2211     428      625     761     617     538     507    430                          

AB             1126     843    1123     968   1183     989     811    639  

SK               286     153      277      334    336    332     307     412            

MB              118     130      176      208    222    203     151     133      

ON            3270   3128    3266    3519  4249   3443   3945   3338

PQ             2546   2508    2641   2519   2588   3127   2588   1869    

Atl-4              24      31        47       29       20       33       15       26               

North              5         -          1         3        1          0         0        0                                                    

Total          9588   7222    8156   8343   9216   8665   8324   6847

It looks like lockdown measures have been working everywhere in the country except in Ontario, Saskatchewan and New Brunswick. Ontario dropped to 2,903 today, but I don't know to trust that number, it might be 4,000 later this week. With 133 k vaccines administered, I assume we may start seeing an impact in LTC homes, since they have been top priority. We have already had 98 LTC resident deaths this month, plus 2 workers. As Paxter mentioned, Canada now has vaccinated more than 1% of the population. Well, the vaccine tracker doesn't distinguish between 1st and 2nd doses, and we have started 2nd doses, so need to keep in mind the fact the numbers will now start representing fully and partly vaccinated people.

But I'm really happy to see lower numbers in BC, AB and MB. I hope the PQ number stays down too.

6 hours ago, Lord of Oop North said:

Oh, and FOLKS, let me just leave this here for you

Yup. Our system is on the "BRINK OF COLLAPSE" (his quotation) and yet the restrictions being implemented still barely change the status quo.

Fucking tools.

5 hours ago, Paxter said:

The UK (and probably SA) strain were always likely to enter Canada anyway. There are way too many people crossing the land border every day who could easily have those strains from the chaos that is the US. 

The new restrictions in Ontario...it feels too little, way too late. I would’ve had these settings in place (and probably stricter) by the start of fall. I do think though that things are looking OK outside Ontario. QC is having a milder second wave in terms of fatalities thus far and western Canada has stabilized a lot since the start of December.

We have vaccinated one out of every 100 people now. A start!

Agree with both posts.  Ontario isn't the only Province whose leaders have failed to act quickly and effectively enough.

More restrictions required, and IMO tough shit to those who decide to protest and disobey the necessary restrictions.  It isn't an "attack on freedom" or "attack on speech", it's a fricken necessary medical directive due to an aggressive and easily transferred virus FFS.

I'd really like to know the data on mask effectiveness, and see how many of the people who get Covid19 were or weren't wearing a proper mask when they were in contact with others.  In the small city I'm residing in right now to care for my father, I'm out 3 or 4 times a week for prescriptions mainly, as I stockpiled enough food/supplies for a year at his place back in April 2020.  I see more than half the people out and about not wearing a mask, in particular when there are carloads of people inside a vehicle.  I think folks somehow believe that being in a vehicle means they are safe from transmission, and pull of their masks once in their car.  Every time I go to the grocery/pharmacy shop, I see people walking in with mask in hand, only putting it on as they close the distance to the front door.  Also few people use the alcohol dispensers I see in places, which IMO should be mandatory at both entrance and exit, among other things.

I just see a lack of urgency out in public re: protection from the virus.  IMO much more restrictions as well as MUCH more on the punitive end of things for those who don't comply, might change the publics attitude about the virus.  

I've already had Covid, and it was absolutely awful, one of the top 3 worst experiences of my life, and with the type 1 diabetes and SLE Lupus that I have, I was one of the fortunate ones to not have an even worse experience with the virus (ie death).  I had taken SO many precautions, constant hand washing, alcohol cleaning, not touching face, wearing masks, face shield, gloves, maintained distance, only going out when absolutely necessary for medical/scripts etc. I still caught it somehow, and the public health never could trace where I caught it with any accuracy.  A terrible week, followed by a mandatory isolation, which required me hiring someone to care for my father.   

I get SO frustrated watching people with their "la de da" attitude when out in public.

548,950 vaccine doses have been delivered in Canada, 407k have been administered. However, a big shipment must have been delivered yesterday because at the Ontario press conference Ford said we got 50k yesterday and by last night they were already being administered. I assume that was a shipment of close to 150k.

All LTC residents and staff in Ontario are expected to be vaccinated by Feb. 15 (ah, first doses) all that want to be vaccinated. After that people over 80 not living in LTC will be vaccinated. Many retirement homes are divided into sections where different levels of care are provided, from basically no care to total care. People live in retirement homes with outbreaks in them who cannot get vaccinated right now because they are not in the LTC section. I read about a couple in their 90s who live in a suite at a big Polish retirement home here in Toronto where vaccinations are being administered, but who cannot get a vaccine because they aren’t in the LTC section.

The CBC is also reporting that enough vaccine has been distributed to vaccinate 70% of the adult indigenous population of Canada. That would be the Moderna vaccine.

And I made an error in my post above - it’s not 98 LTC residents who have died since January 1, it’s 198. I thought 198 was the wrong number.

Eta: the worst active rate is now in Saskatchewan, 319 per 100,000

I got my first dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine last week. My arm hurt a bit the day after, but overall it was a very mild reaction. Yay for science!

We need to ramp up administering vaccines, though - it's really not *that* complicated or unsolvable of a problem. But I don't know why people like Doug Ford thought that paying a retired general like Hillier was necessary or helpful. 

11 hours ago, Aemon Stark said:

I got my first dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine last week. My arm hurt a bit the day after, but overall it was a very mild reaction. Yay for science!

We need to ramp up administering vaccines, though - it's really not *that* complicated or unsolvable of a problem. But I don't know why people like Doug Ford thought that paying a retired general like Hillier was necessary or helpful. 

I have a brother in the military and the stories he tells me... I really could never figure out why Hillier was hired also. 3 nurses could do an entire hospital of 3000 employees in less than a month. 

Well, Trump hired a general, look how well that turned out! Some months ago I remember reading an article in the Globe and Mail bitching about how long it took Ford to hire Hillier. The US hired their general to organize the vaccine drive months before!

Lol!

I’m happy to see Canada has granted refugee status to 14 Hong Kong protestors so far. A group of Canadian supporters called the New Hong Kong Cultural Club has helped 30 people make applications to date.

There are about 300,000 Canadians living in Hong Kong, and it’s expected that sooner or later the Chinese or going to tell them to give up their Canadian passports or leave.

Update

Jan          7Th     8Fr     9Sa    10Su  11Mo   12Tu   13We                          

BC           761     617     538     507    430      446     519                          

AB           968   1183     989     811    639      652     875  

SK            334    336      332     307   412      248     247            

MB           208    222      203     151   133        92     158      

ON         3519   4249   3443   3945  3338    2903   2961

PQ          2519   2588   3127   2588  1869   1934    2071    

Atl-4           29       20      33       15        2       19       27               

North           3        1        0         0        0         0         0                                            

Total       8343   9216   8665   8324   6847   6294   6858

I thought I would try hard to update every couple of days, to stay on top of what has been a massive upswing. This week looks like we are coming off the pre-Christmas and Christmas infections. As expected, there was a tick up in today's numbers, since they tend to get bigger as the week continues.

The biggest news is that CTV has vastly improved it's vaccine tracker! It now breaks out first and second doses, shows the number of vaccines delivered to each province and the number and percentage administered. In defense of Ontario, I would point out that Ford said yesterday we got 50,000 doses the day before. At the moment we are apparently doing 20k a day, gearing up to do 50k a day as we get more vaccine in.

New link. well, the old link would get you there too, I guess.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker-how-many-people-in-canada-have-received-shots-1.5247509

So we've distributed 90% of our available vaccine stock. And Pfizer is cutting next month's shipment in half to try to expand its capacity for later months.

Does this mean we pause vaccinating people for the first time? Or do we re-deploy the reserved doses to allow new people to get the vaccine? 

Side-note: with 450,000 doses now administered, we should have put a dent into the 80+ and LTC demographics by now. I can't find the stats though. 

8 minutes ago, Paxter said:

So we've distributed 90% of our available vaccine stock. And Pfizer is cutting next month's shipment in half to try to expand its capacity for later months.

Does this mean we pause vaccinating people for the first time? Or do we re-deploy the reserved doses to allow new people to get the vaccine? 

Side-note: with 450,000 doses now administered, we should have put a dent into the 80+ and LTC demographics by now. I can't find the stats though. 

Has that Pfizer news been confirmed now?

I see we received more vaccine today, BC, Alberta and Quebec had pretty well administered everything they had, in fact, AB administered 112% of it's doses as of this morning. That's the extra doses everyone is getting from the Pfizer vials that other countries have noted.

Everyone obviously got another shipment.

Eta: As I mentioned up thread, ON got 50k the other day, looks like we must have received another 50k today.

OK that’s good news on additional shipments. I’m hoping beyond hope that everyone in LTC and over 80 can get the jab soon. With new strains around, this could really be the difference to save thousands in the next two months.

Pfizer cutting shipments is all over the news, will need to double check accuracy but I read it in relation to Canada. It’s certainly the case for the EU.

Bah, I just heard the CBC news. The worst week will be the week of Jan. 25, when we only get 1/4 of our shipment. And horror of horrors, Quebec is giving everyone one shot for now, some people won’t get a second shot for as long as 90 days. I think Ontario is still doing 2 shots on schedule. I know BC decided to stretch it to 35 days, what the vaccine shortage for a month is going to do to their schedule now I haven’t yet heard.k

Eta: I had been watching CNN or CNBC all day, and they have Pfizer plants in the US supplying them. 

Archived