Canadian Politics: Is that a Light at the End of the Tunnel?

Fragile Bird

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

Two nights, yeah. Unfortunately St Mike’s emergency was jammed on Wednesday thanks to the long weekend so it took a while to see a doctor…but after that it was quick to get imaged, operated and discharged.

@JEORDHl: Thanks! Three smallish incisions in the abdomen, should be back to normal in a couple of weeks.

Canada hasn’t been that lucky for me between a torn ACL (skiing at Blue Mtn), Covid and appendicitis. But I’m a PR now so something must be going right :).

Good grief, just yesterday!

Last Monday night I was feeling very strange after going to bed, just weird, and decided to go to TGH emergency. Was there until 5:00 am, they ran all kinds of tests and could find nothing wrong. A friend who’s a nurse said I should have called her and she would have talked me down, but in the end if you’re worried, you’re worried. As it happens, she’s a very old friend who I first met when I was 9 years old, and her mom had died Sunday afternoon (she was 97). I actually had considered calling her but I thought she had enough on her plate. Turns out she was wide awake having a glass of wine (she lives around the corner). It may have been a combination of various stresses and grief. Emergency was full when I got there at 1:00 am, empty when I left. 

58 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Good grief, just yesterday!

Last Monday night I was feeling very strange after going to bed, just weird, and decided to go to TGH emergency. Was there until 5:00 am, they ran all kinds of tests and could find nothing wrong. A friend who’s a nurse said I should have called her and she would have talked me down, but in the end if you’re worried, you’re worried. As it happens, she’s a very old friend who I first met when I was 9 years old, and her mom had died Sunday afternoon (she was 97). I actually had considered calling her but I thought she had enough on her plate. Turns out she was wide awake having a glass of wine (she lives around the corner). It may have been a combination of various stresses and grief. Emergency was full when I got there at 1:00 am, empty when I left. 

I am a fan of "better safe, than sorry" when it comes to ED visits.

Usually I wouldn't have made the trip for stomach related stuff...but the pain level got unbearable in this instance. Had it not been appendicitis...I'd have still insisted on an IV drip and morphine!

9 hours ago, Paxter said:

I am a fan of "better safe, than sorry" when it comes to ED visits.

Usually I wouldn't have made the trip for stomach related stuff...but the pain level got unbearable in this instance. Had it not been appendicitis...I'd have still insisted on an IV drip and morphine!

I had diverticulitis a few years back and I know how painful you were. Stay safe. 

Oh, a 25-year old has been charged for that gravel-throwing incident in London a few days ago. The idiot was the president of the People’s Party riding association. Nice. Was, because he got fired from the job once the news came out.

And a Conservative candidate up in the Peterborough area was visiting retirement homes while not fully vaccinated. She’s had one shot, and has been “too busy” to get her second. Nice. 

O’Toole, of course, is not requiring his candidates to be vaccinated, as it’s a matter of “personal moral choice”, or something like that. He has promised, though, that his Health minister will be vaccinated. How can it be a personal moral choice for everyone else but not the Health minister? 

But he really can’t afford to alienate all those unvaccinated voters in Alberta and Saskatchewan.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Oh, a 25-year old has been charged for that gravel-throwing incident in London a few days ago. The idiot was the president of the People’s Party riding association. Nice. Was, because he got fired from the job once the news came out.

And a Conservative candidate up in the Peterborough area was visiting retirement homes while not fully vaccinated. She’s had one shot, and has been “too busy” to get her second. Nice. 

O’Toole, of course, is not requiring his candidates to be vaccinated, as it’s a matter of “personal moral choice”, or something like that. He has promised, though, that his Health minister will be vaccinated. How can it be a personal moral choice for everyone else but not the Health minister? 

But he really can’t afford to alienate all those unvaccinated voters in Alberta and Saskatchewan.

O'Toole is flipping and flopping like a fish out of water. He reminds me of an idiot manager who I once had. His nickname was Flipper.

I voted yesterday as I am working as a deputy returning officer this election day. It gets me out and a few extra dollars in retirement.

Hasn't been quite the increase in Liberal numbers I was hoping for, but then the English debate was a shit show.

The NDP also released their costed platform, and it's kind of crap. There are some good thing in there, but on a lot of the things they were hammering the Liberals on they're doing the same or worse. No wonder they waited so long to release it.

The recent polls have been more encouraging, thankfully. Fingers crossed for a Liberal minority with NDP fully holding the balance of power this time.

But I was also disappointed by the NDP costed platform, overall. I still voted for them yesterday. My riding is a Liberal stronghold with the NDP usually second place, so I don't need to worry about ABC. It would be nice if Trudeau got the message that many voters on the left are getting increasingly pissed about his efforts at things like climate change.

If you don't laugh, you'll cry at this from AB's chief medico:

That set the course for Alberta's massive fourth wave, Hinshaw acknowledged in the meeting Monday.

"I think that trajectory was set when we removed all the public health restrictions at the beginning of July," Hinshaw said.

"If you look at the experiences of all of the different provinces across the country, those that have kept in some base level restrictions to manage the interactions and close contacts are the ones that are not seeing the significant impact.

"And those of us that removed them are the ones that saw the significant very steep rise in some of these acute care impacts."

And she is supposed to be the expert. 

Again I'm going to do something unusual and credit Ford for actually listening to the advice this summer. Things could still go pear-shaped in Ontario, but we are in as good a position as anywhere in North America to get through this winter without resorting to blunt restrictions. 

56 minutes ago, Paxter said:

If you don't laugh, you'll cry at this from AB's chief medico:

And she is supposed to be the expert. 

Again I'm going to do something unusual and credit Ford for actually listening to the advice this summer. Things could still go pear-shaped in Ontario, but we are in as good a position as anywhere in North America to get through this winter without resorting to blunt restrictions. 

I believe Kenney ignored her advice, which is why she came out and said that, without directly mentioning Kenney. They did that, and shortly thereafter she disappeared from press conferences.

eta: though I could be wrong…

17 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I believe Kenney ignored her advice, which is why she came out and said that, without directly mentioning Kenney. They did that, and shortly thereafter she disappeared from press conferences.

eta: though I could be wrong…

Not so sure about that...this from May '21:

“I support this plan,” Dr. Deena Hinshaw told reporters at a news conference in Edmonton on Thursday. “I believe this plan is a prudent approach to reopening.

Prudent approach! Lol. 

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

Not so sure about that...this from May '21:

Prudent approach! Lol. 

Don’t forget, that previously someone from the Covid team revealed that Kenney was ignoring her advice. It was quite the scandal, and Hinshaw said how dare that person reveal what were “discussions”.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

wrong. She is complicit and should resign IMO

10 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Don’t forget, that previously someone from the Covid team revealed that Kenney was ignoring her advice. It was quite the scandal, and Hinshaw said how dare that person reveal what were “discussions”.

Even if Kenney is ignoring her private advice, if she is publicly telling Albertans something different (ie that they are taking a “prudent approach”), then I think she has to be accountable.

Archived