Friends of Sweetsunray

LynnS

36 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

Agreed. That's why it's not a taboo for me. I am very open about it. And I've noticed that it helps a lot. They will ask me questions and/or feel better about bringing it up... and well act normal to me. But it's too cold outside for a bald head and passers-by I cannot chat with. So, it's a beanie in that case.

And floppy straw hat this summer, unless your hair grows back, in which case you can die it green and say you're Tyroshi. 

1 minute ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

And floppy straw hat this summer, unless your hair grows back, in which case you can die it green and say you're Tyroshi. 

:rofl:My hair grows fast, once it starts growing again. 1 cm in 3 weeks. In 2 years time I can grow it t halfway my back. I had a Sinead buzz before once, just because I felt like it. But it grew too fast to keep up when I didn't have a trimmer at the time. And I have a floppy panama. Does that count?

The fun thing about the new hair is that it is as soft as the new hair of a baby. For me this was both head hair and beard. Unfortunately, it doesn't stay that way but the first wisps of hair are really great and you can delude yourself into believing that chemotherapy is some kind of rejuvenation drug ;-).

My best wishes for a complete recovery. I know the problems of chemotherapy, Immunotherapy, and radiation first hand and it's nothing to just laugh off. But the hair grows back. The nausea ends. And it is often very much worth it in the end. My advice? Plan for Worldcon and life and friends after treatment. Dublin helped me. Stay healthy, and bring more of your insights to the many friends, ones who both agree with you and disagree, that populate these forums. You are an important part of a community that you have helped to form with your ideas and love for Martin's books. Be well.

SFDanny

PS - panama hats always count! Great taste in headwear.

It's uplifting for me to see so many cherishing Sweetsunray and to hear other stories of recovery.  I lost my Dad to cancer a few years ago.  I had no idea chemo changed the sense of taste.  Here was I searching for all the foods my Dad loved.  He never complained. :D

11 hours ago, LynnS said:

It's uplifting for me to see so many cherishing Sweetsunray and to hear other stories of recovery.  I lost my Dad to cancer a few years ago.  I had no idea chemo changed the sense of taste.  Here was I searching for all the foods my Dad loved.  He never complained. :D

Effects depend on the chemical administered and on the individual. First time I had an ice cap on my head for 7 hours (they made a mistake so that the first chemo drug took 3 hours to drip into the IV for only a 1/3) to try and see whether it could prevent massive loss of hair. For 1 in 2 people the ice cap works. I was the other half where it didn't help. 2 weeks after the first chemo I had some hair loss in the shower, but by the third day after that started I began to lose hair continually and everywhere. So the 4th day it started I had it trimmed and shaved. But I've met fellow patients who still had their hair on their head. It does help with shaving legs and such.... not necessary :rofl:I haven't lost my sense of taste at all. Even during the nausea I have appetite and can eat whatever I want. I just pick and choose what aids the intestines, because the anti-allergic meds you have to take before chemo is administered causes blockage. There's just half a day in the nausea phase, where my tongue is somewhat numb similar to when the shot at the dentist is still affecting your tongue. Oh and I absolutely must avoid stubbing my big toe: both are blue beneath the nail now. :rolleyes: So, no more ice cap since my second chemo, but ice gloves and ice shoes on my feet and hands during chemo to protect my nails.

The nausea is actually a reaction from your body that consider the chemo a poison, and since most poison normally enters our body via the the stomach your body's natural response to this is - hmmm, eject it. So I have to take cortisone ahead of the session as well as a heavy anti-allergy pill. My nausea starts up 24 hours after chemo (when the drugs of before and during have worn off), and it's more the type of nausea you have when you've been sick and your stomach is empty and warns you not to eat on it. But lithican suppresses that rather well. If I take several drops of ginger extract in a capsule in addition to it, the nausea disappears and my appetite is normal. There's also a herb I mix into sauces or soup: lovage root. That has a similar effect as the ginger extract. 

The joint pain is a bigger issue. It's gotten better, and sometimes it's only tingly joints, but that's so irritating I take a painkiller. And unfortunately the acculumation of the chemo sessions now makes that if I take a painkiller it just knocks me out within 20 mins, as if I've taken some heavy sleeping drug.

Anyway, tomorrow I'm going hiking for several hours. Did 14 km a month ago. Hiking, easy yoga and fitness in the second week helps me work with my body positively.

13 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

The nausea is actually a reaction from your body that consider the chemo a poison,

If Grand Maester Pycelle or Lysa Arryn offer you anything to eat or drink, you should politely decline.

13 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

Anyway, tomorrow I'm going hiking for several hours.

This is great to hear! My favorite tonic for body and soul. (I picture you like Mya Stone climbing the path to the way castles of the Eyrie!)

9 hours ago, Seams said:

If Grand Maester Pycelle or Lysa Arryn offer you anything to eat or drink, you should politely decline.

I will ;)

9 hours ago, Seams said:

This is great to hear! My favorite tonic for body and soul. (I picture you like Mya Stone climbing the path to the way castles of the Eyrie!)

8 km hike in 2.5 hours in the hills. Started with a steep slope along a muddy path where I had to catch my breath on the top (lower red blood cell count), but after that on the top of the hills, to go down through forest in search of the path again (we found it). It wasn't so much the Eyrie as a landscape that could have been lifted right out Price & Prejudice of 1996. It was a pity I didn't bring my pettycoat along to show the 6 inches in mud to Mr. Darcy :rofl:

Archived