Football: A Blizzard of Games

polishgenius

Fener would only make sense for a move in the summer, when his contract with Arsenal is running out. No way they can afford to pick up his wages, and he has been quite happy to collect his paycheck from Arsenal. Neither would DC United be able to do it (obviously), but they might offer him a lengthy contract with more marketing potential for his brand.

I am kinda curious tho, and not really sure how and where his brand could sell. In Germany has left quite a bit of scorched earth behind. In addition to the right wing orcs, who never believed him to be a proper German, he has also alienated a lot of other football fans with him fellating his best man Erdogan. His rep. in ENgland is presumably also not too good either, by playing the washed up star, who just collects his big paycheck but has checked out otherwise.

14 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Klopp saying January signings unlikely. Frustrating when we are playing two midfielders at CB and when the title is up for grabs. Pretty much conceding by not addressing a glaring issue 

Do you think the midfield/young CBs are doing a bad job?

I am really glad they aren't panic buying a CB this window. Much prefer they get someone in summer (if they are going for one at all). Any new signings will take months to adjust to the system and to get going, so most of the games will be done by then and end up having very little impact on the points total.

I highly doubt anyone of significant quality is available in the market who can instantly make an impact, which is what we need. All the young CBs we've been linked with aren't going to be that much better than the our current youngsters/midfield CBs when you consider the time the youngins have spent so far with the first team (or in the case of MF CBs, how familiar they are with the requirements). I'd argue that Fabinho's success as CB has pretty much guaranteed we won't get another CB now or in summer.

Plus, we need all the money we can get for summer Mbappe purchase! :P

2 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Do you think the midfield/young CBs are doing a bad job

Fabinho been fine. It’s not a panic buy at all. We have needed a CB since summer when Lovren left and never replaced him. Then we lost our best 3 Central defenders :lol:. If we want to compete for the title (and CL) I think it would be pretty dumb to continue with no cb’s but I guess it’s a wash of a season to a lot of people.

44 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Fabinho been fine. It’s not a panic buy at all. We have needed a CB since summer when Lovren left and never replaced him. Then we lost our best 3 Central defenders :lol:. If we want to compete for the title (and CL) I think it would be pretty dumb to continue with no cb’s but I guess it’s a wash of a season to a lot of people.

This is what I disagree with. We have 2 young CBs and a makeshift CB who is better than most normal CBs. I think all three (Williams, Phillips and Fab) have done a good job. I was pretty worried when the injuries happened because i didn't think Fab would do as well as he did and I thought the youngins weren't ready. But seeing Fabinho slip into the role seamlessly, I am not worried. The youngins have done better than expected as well. If they weren't performing I'd be worried, but so far they have been fine.

I wonder if they already have a CB in mind and if that is why they didn't push for a CB last transfer window when Lovren left. Similar to Virg situation, where they just waited for the right player.

Williams and Phillips aren't very good though. They've had a couple of good games, but that's not the same thing at all; they'll be exposed eventually.

Fabinho has done really well, but we've missed him in midfield. Wijnaldum's form has always been patchy at best, but now he's going to be running on fumes a lot of the time too.

I agree that there's almost zero chance of us getting a good centre back in January, but if we don't get at least one good centre back in the summer, you'd have to wonder about the competence of the upper management.

Archived