Football: A Blizzard of Games

polishgenius

Remember when I said pre-season that Gladbach are one of the teams that can beat Bayern in a game.

They are on course. They went down 0-2 after 26 minutes, but turned things around and are now in the lead with less than 10 minutes to go.

On 1/8/2021 at 7:52 AM, Mark Antony said:

Fabinho been fine. It’s not a panic buy at all. We have needed a CB since summer when Lovren left and never replaced him.

Lovren leaving was like a new signing.

That being said, I agree we do need a new CB. I don't even think we need a world class CB, just someone to fill in the gaping hole in our defense. The new CB wouldn't have to reach the bar set by VVD, being as good or better than Matip would be enough. It's good to give Williams and Phillips a run-out every once in a while but we do need someone with a bit more experience who could fit with Fabinho or Matip (on rare occasion he's not injured) and let Fabinho move to midfield.

Not trying to say he's not good, just that he's not at the level of VVD and that signing a defender of Matip's level is much easier than signing VVD's equal. It doesn't mean that it's easy to sign someone of Matip's level, just that it's not mission impossible either.

Signing someone of Matip's level should be eminently doable but signing someone of his quality in January is really unlikely. In-form CBs are probably the guys least likely to be let go mid-season even if they're not a team's star player, coz no-one wants to break up a functioning pairing mid-flow.

What happened to Rojo? I know he had plenty of injuries, but did United just give up on him? I was never a fan.

Maguire is by no means a bad player, but I wouldn't want him at Liverpool, given how high Klopp likes the line to be. (In an alternate universe where that would even by a consideration, obvs.)

14 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

What happened to Rojo? I know he had plenty of injuries, but did United just give up on him? I was never a fan.

Yeah it was a combination of injuries and I think his continued penchant for a reckless one just dropped him out of favour. Especially with Bailly around - you could never play them together as a CB pairing- and he's not really attacking enough to play LB in this team. 

On 12/20/2020 at 2:01 AM, Consigliere said:

This is why nobody will pull a Leicester this season. Liverpool are simply head and shoulders above the rest of the league even with the injuries. The injuries might prevent them threatening 100 points or more but they will hit at least 90 points. 

This hasn't aged well.....

1 hour ago, ants said:

This hasn't aged well.....

Disagree. I still don't see 81 points as being enough to win the league this season. Liverpool's defence has held up better than expected but their attack has struggled more than expected - that should improve now that Thiago is back and will improve further once Jota returns.

I also think City's recent form would make them title challengers, where they would have been discounted a couple of weeks ago. Leicesters winning season coincided with a number of top teams being in transition and have problems. Even with injuries I'd still say City and Liverpool will be duking it out. I'm strangely discounting Utd because I just suspect they will hit a rocky period again and the tide will turn against Ole, and Spurs really don't have strength in depth for a title bid, if Kane gets injured it's over.

Archived