Aegon's potential brides

Alyn Oakenfist

I wrote a very long post about what I think is going to happen in this situation many years ago, but it seems to have disappeared (it looks like this site deletes old posts after reaching a certain limit).

Prediction: I think we're going to get a repeat of Rhaegar-Elia-Lyanna to a degree. I find it very likely that Aegon will marry Arianne, but I also believe Littlefinger will find a way to get Sansa back to King's Landing, and that Aegon will become infatuated with her. In his youth and arrogance, Aegon will try to take two wives, leading to scandal and infighting. Her marriage to Tyrion will also create a dilemma.

That said, I don't think Aegon will last long enough to make it to the second marriage, nor do I think Sansa will be in KL when the city goes ka-boom. 

Potential brides: 

1. Arianne Martell. I find her the most possible. Without Daenerys, Aegon needs legitimacy. And who is better than Elia's family?

2. Sansa Stark. Sansa has nothing to offer now. Ok she is related to the North, Riverlands, Vale but right now Wintefell is held by Boltons, Riverrun is held by Freys and the Vale is not hers to command.They are just Stark sympathisers.

3. Margaery Tyrell. She is a good choice but Tyrell power will be reduced by Euron and Margaery herself will have controversial reputation as three times widow and accused for infidelity (I doubt she will stand trial. Mace will just declare her innocent as proposed in the epilogue of DWD and the rumours will follow her)

4. Talla Tarly, a Rowan girl, a Hightower girl are very good choices.

5. Daenerys Targaryen is the best choice but she will probably refuse to ally with Aegon

13 minutes ago, dbergkvist said:

When Aegon takes King's Landing, he's going to have to fight the sparrow movement. And when he's fighting against religious extremists anyways, there is no need to follow religious edicts, so he's not limited in marrying only one woman.

Why would he fight it. He's not going to commit any incest (or at least not the kind the Faith frowns upon, marrying your cousin is A-okay is Westeros), he doesn't have any major characteristics that would put him into a confrontation with the faith. On the contrary, his religious training by Lemore, and the fact that Cersei is, well Cersei, would make the Faith ad Aegon natural allies.

I'd say that even if Aegon thought Dany might stay in  Essos, why wouldn't he want to reunite the last two Targaryens (as far as the world knows).  This makes sense from a family point of view, and also instead of just reasserting sole Targaryen control of Westeros, they could pitch the idea of uniting the known world.  Dany's control of Slavers Bay (and possibly beyond by the time Aegon has Kings Landing and Dany emerges with potentially the Dothraki horde of hordes). Anyway, we all know how badly things will likely go, but the pitch to be made to rule the world would likely be too good to pass over just to throw in with Arianne (unless she gets her boobs in his face and he decides that those are the only boobs he could ever want...because that never happens to young men...or old men).

1 hour ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Why would he fight it. He's not going to commit any incest (or at least not the kind the Faith frowns upon, marrying your cousin is A-okay is Westeros), he doesn't have any major characteristics that would put him into a confrontation with the faith. On the contrary, his religious training by Lemore, and the fact that Cersei is, well Cersei, would make the Faith ad Aegon natural allies.

I doubt he'll wan't to be under their thumb. Sure, they'll probably wan't to ally with him for the reasons you've listed. But in the long run, the Faith is going to be just as bad for (f)Aegon as they are for Cersei. Like, when they start imprison GC sellswords for religious offences? Or outlaw other faiths? I imagine the GC is pretty diverse in religions so even casual bigotry wouldn't go down very well.

1 minute ago, Sigella said:

Like, when they start imprison GC sellswords for religious offences? Or outlaw other faiths? I imagine the GC is pretty diverse in religions so even casual bigotry wouldn't go down very well.

I don't think that's the case. The Sparrows seem to be more of a cultural and popular movement then a religious one, and given the Faith's long history co exiting with the Old Gods I don't see that causing too much of a problem

1 minute ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

I don't think that's the case. The Sparrows seem to be more of a cultural and popular movement then a religious one, and given the Faith's long history co exiting with the Old Gods I don't see that causing too much of a problem

You forget it's recently been radicalised, armed and taken over by fanatics.

Just now, Sigella said:
4 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

You forget it's recently been radicalised, armed and taken over by fanatics.

I wouldn't go as far as calling them fanatics, more people hungry and weary after the wars, refusing to bow down to the nobles anymore. If Aegon is able to fed and protect them he should have no problems

And given that Cersei is back to wreak havoc, I can easily see her being the Maegor to Aegon's Jaehaerys, bringing the Faith back under the told following whatever Cersei does.

The love triangle in the story is not coming from Aegon.  That plot involved the two families who brought ruin to Westeros:  Lannisters and Starks.  But let's leave that aside for the moment.  Aegon will almost certainly marry Arrianne Martell.  Dorne may have liberal attitudes towards sex but that one is not going to accept competition.  Aegon will marry once and that will be it for him. 

3 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

I wouldn't go as far as calling them fanatics, more people hungry and weary after the wars, refusing to bow down to the nobles anymore. If Aegon is able to fed and protect them he should have no problems

And given that Cersei is back to wreak havoc, I can easily see her being the Maegor to Aegon's Jaehaerys, bringing the Faith back under the told following whatever Cersei does.

If the Faith gets blown up they aren't likely to impact anything anyways.

6 minutes ago, U. B. Cool said:

The love triangle in the story is not coming from Aegon.  That plot involved the two families who brought ruin to Westeros:  Lannisters and Starks.  But let's leave that aside for the moment.  Aegon will almost certainly marry Arrianne Martell.  Dorne may have liberal attitudes towards sex but that one is not going to accept competition.  Aegon will marry once and that will be it for him. 

Never said otherwise. It's just a matter of whom. I agree it will likely be Arianne at the end, but that doesn't mean she'll be the only offer.

8 hours ago, U. B. Cool said:

Who is in the love triangle? 

• 1 month later...

I am 100% sure that Aegon will marry Arianne. The biggest problem Aegon will face is people, particularly his enemies, questioning his identity as the real Aegon Targaryen and therefore his right to rule Westeros. The best way to combat that is to gain the approval and the backing of the Martell family. 

Spoiler

Also contrary to what most people would believe there's no guarantee that the Martells will side with Aegon. Arianne questions whether he's real. She hopes he is, for sake of her father and her aunt Elia, but obviously, she's skeptical. The fact she is being treated quite rudely by Jon Connington goons in her TWOW chapters makes the situation quite uncertain to Aegon. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised that since Jon Connington takes the Martells for granted he will disrespect Arianne in some way or form and she demands that Aegon shows her and the Martells the respect they deserve due to him (Aegon) being related to them. A promise that he won't humiliate the Martells as Rhaegar did. The best way to show that is through marriage. 

Yeah (f)Aegon's entire claim depends on him getting in and seizing power before Dany can even look to the west. That way when she finally does look west and arrives in Westeros, she arrives late and with a lesser claim. In the here and now, his position is tenuous and he'd almost have to marry Arianne to secure Dorne to have a chance at forcing his claim.

On 12/19/2020 at 10:15 PM, Alyn Oakenfist said:

What revenge plot? There is no more revenge plot now, there is simply war. The Martells hardly have anyone to take revenge against, Tywin, Gregor and Armory, their main targets are all dead, or in a state were death is the better option. The Martells are no longer out for vengeance against anybody, but rather they are out to just take back the Throne for house Targaryen. The rightful heir of House Targaryen. Aegon

The Sand Snakes and Ser Daemon are definitely out for revenge.  

FFC, THE CAPTAIN OF THE GUARDS

Nymeria: Obara would make Oldtown our father's funeral pyre, but I am not so greedy. Four lives will suffice for me. Lord Tywin's golden twins, as payment for Elia's children. The old lion, for Elia herself. And last of all the little king, for my father.

Doran: The boy has never wronged us.

Nymeria: Only royal blood can wash out my father's murder

DWD, THE WATCHER

1.Ellaria: Where does it end?

Nymeria: It ends in blood, as it began. It ends when Casterly Rock is cracked open, so the sun can shine on the maggots and the worms within. It ends with the utter ruin of Tywin Lannister and all his works.
Ellaria: The man died at the hand of his own son. What more could you wish?

Nymeria: I could wish that he died at my hand. If he had, his dying would not have been so easy

2.Obara :Give me back my spear, Uncle. Cersei sent us head. We should send her back a bag of them

Sand Snakes are very accurate to what they want

On 12/21/2020 at 11:40 AM, Endymion I Targaryen said:

4. Talla Tarly, a Rowan girl, a Hightower girl are very good choices.

I like this suggestion. Marrying a Tarly daughter would be a good way of getting Randyll 'amazing battle commander' Tarly on side and weakening the power of the Tyrells and the Reach

Archived