The Mandalorian Season 3 - Season Two Spoilers

Relic

Can discuss here?

The first 25 minutes of that was incredibly corny. 

And then I stopped breathing for like 2 minutes, I shed a tear, I gasped, and I shed two more.

Luke. R2 n Grogu <3 . Damn. I don't even want to admit how much it meant to me to see Luke being the Luke I pictured him being since I was a little kid. All light and dark and green glowy sworded. 

I've watched maybe 100 minutes of this season, all told, but I'm extremely grateful for those last 10. That was cool. 

I'm trying to work out what the story in Season 3 will be. Bo-Katan and Mando trying hard not to have a fight for the Darksabre and then realising at some point they need to have a fight and then fighting?

In Episode 1 they get wind of the Empire experimenting on a new subject and at the end of the episode Mando finds himself the proud keeper of Baby Watto?

9 episodes of Moff Gideon in a prison cell, occasionally playing harmonica?

The possibilities seem quite literally endless.

Loved it. Through two seasons we see X-Wings in threes or twos, and they are feared. But the lone X-Wing brings the Force. Have to admit, tears were shed.

And from my pre-ep predictions

- By sheer numerical advantage, some stormtroopers will hit their target.

Muthafuckers not a single one? ffs

Well, it was less surprising than I thought but still a very fun episode of TV. It will be interesting if next season is more about Din and the Mando diaspora or if Grogu will be a part of it. On one hand, from a plot perspective, Grogu off at boarding school makes more sense and keeps the story out of the Skywalker tarpit, but then he's a hit character with a lot of unanswered questions so it would make sense for him to be around.

These MFers are going to shoehorn C3PO into this show next season and thanks, I hate it.

It is weird that I was pretty meh on this episode? Didn't feel like the greatest season ender.

First, is Bo-Katan supposed to be this dis-likable? Like first she starts talking shit, then she gets all high and mighty when Boba responds to her shit talking. "Not all Mandalorians are bounty hunters" yeah, some are terrorists. Get off your damn high horse.

And I know the dialogue isn't this shows strongest point most of the time, most of the time it's video game dialogue. But this episode felt like bad video game dialogue. Especially all the weird pauses. Just once talk like normal people, please?

Fight scenes were alright, but the stuff with the dark saber was stupid. First, the old canon mask of mandalore was IMO a better symbol of leadership, but also why add this nonsense about having to fight for it? Whatever people already mentioned that. Guess they need a conflict for next season

Luke shows up! And instantly makes every other character pointless. This is probably the biggest issue, though I wasn't super sold on the episode prior. Really hard to care much about what happened when you realize had the heroes shown up 30 minutes later if would have been to an empty ship.

Nothing says drama like destroying all stakes by having the super deadly adversary turned into a joke. I know they're taking a lot from video games, but usually the elite units you need to worry about aren't turned into mooks after at least a couple fights with them.

Boba's apparently decided to take over the underworld... alright I'm in.

ETA: Shit why couldn't that have been the premise of the next season instead of splitting the group? Let Bo-Katan fuck off with the stupid looking lightsaber, I want Boba Fett and the Mandalorian, partners in crime.

54 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I'm trying to work out what the story in Season 3 will be.

Agreed.  Like I said in the last thread seems like moving forward all avenues I can think of are pretty banal and vapid in comparison.  And, especially after just watching Rebels, if they try to manufacture some conflict between Bo-Katan and Din over the darksaber that premise sounds really stupid to me.  Although, as you suggested, if anyone can pull off a full season in a prison cell, it's Esposito.

18 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Do we know where R2 was when Anakin did all the kiddy murdering? Is there a window there for it to be R2 who rescued Grogu, and that’s why he was happy to see him? He seemed to trust the situation more once he’d seen the droid.

Not a bad theory, and as was mentioned in the other thread it'd make sense that Grogu would be familiar with R2.  Still, I prefer the simplest explanation that Grogu warmed up to R2 because what baby wouldn't love R2?  He's, like, the most awesome shiny thing ever.

9 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

Anyone intrigued by the Book of Boba Fett as teased at the end?

I do not really care about Boba taking over as don of Jabba's empire, no.  Much preferred the redemption arc they had him on - sure, not full-bore and still grey, but this just seems like pure regression.

5 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

First, is Bo-Katan supposed to be this dis-likable?

Well, I've always found Katee Sackoff not particularly likable, but that's just me.

6 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

Really hard to care much about what happened when you realize had the heroes shown up 30 minutes later if would have been to an empty ship.

Yeah, effectively the only reason Din and co. needed to be there was for Grogu to get Din's permission.  Conceivably Luke coulda done them a solid by finding them first and being like "hold my green milk."  But whatever, I was fine sitting back and enjoying it.

19 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

Nothing says drama like destroying all stakes by having the super deadly adversary turned into a joke. I know they're taking a lot from video games, but usually the elite units you need to worry about aren't turned into mooks after at least a couple fights with them.

This is both why I didn't think Gideon would be defeated and why Luke wouldn't show up but.... Luke is a famous, stupendous badass at this point so it's consistent that he would be the one person who could nerf the bad robots.

2 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

I’m glad they had the balls to write out Grogu, it just couldn’t be reasonably stretched out that Mando would keep him with him when his line of work is so dangerous.

Just you wait for next season... for Groguu, and Groguuu, and Groguuuu.

54 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

Anyone intrigued by the Book of Boba Fett as teased at the end?

At the end of the season Fett realises he's bored and flies off, leaving the place empty. His minions fight over who's going to take over, but a small, shadowed figure ends. Everyone hushes.

A familiar laugh sounds.

Fade to black: The Book of Crumb - Coming December 2022

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Yeah, effectively the only reason Din and co. needed to be there was for Grogu to get Din's permission.  Conceivably Luke coulda done them a solid by finding them first and being like "hold my green milk."  But whatever, I was fine sitting back and enjoying it.

Now I'm imagining a version of this where they show up, the ship doesn't respond so they go in all cautious expecting an ambush. Then when they get to the bridge there's Luke with the kid in his lap, and he's just like "I want to offer the kid a place at my school, but I need his dad's permission first." Then the rest of the episode is just Luke and the Mando filling out paperwork and working out the details. Holidays, weekend visitation, stuff like that.

6 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

Now I'm imagining a version of this where they show up, the ship doesn't respond so they go in all cautious expecting an ambush. Then when they get to the bridge there's Luke with the kid in his lap, and he's just like "I want to offer the kid a place at my school, but I need his dad's permission first." Then the rest of the episode is just Luke and the Mando filling out paperwork and working out the details. Holidays, weekend visitation, stuff like that.

Kafka Star Wars!  Coming to an interminably bleak bureaucratic unit near you!

Per the last thread, I expect that we'll have an episode with Luke and a visit to his school early next season where Grogu and another, slightly more experienced Padawan will be sent with Din for "seasoning" and because Grogu's training has faltered because he's not with Din...and then, as also once predicted, said Jedi accompanying them will also be a musician of sorts...

At some point, likely in the first couple of episodes, we'll also see how Din I'd going to fit into the realm of the New Republic also, meeting some of the other characters that will be joining the spin off, hopefully actors with some skill to carry Carrano...since they seem to be sending Ming Na Wen to be in a this new Boba Fett series...

The way it ended, it would be weird if there was a time jump at the start of next season. Din and Bo need to figure out the Darksabre problem. Sabine needs to show up and remind Bo how she got it in the first place.

Not sure how Grogu's story will develop, but I just had a vision of the show starting with a fast-moving shaky camera, going through a forest, then suddenly it's Grogu running, jumping, summersaulting, then a bunch training spheres attack him and he ignites a (insert color) lightsaber. I do wonder how much longer Grogu will stay in tiny puppet form, or if they'll have to get a slightly bigger puppet and mix it more with CGI.

It's weird how little discussion there was at the end. Clearly Din expects to see the kid again, but I don't think Luke ever said where they were going to be? I don't think he'd started the Jedi school yet at this point. 

Archived