The Mandalorian Season 3 - Season Two Spoilers

Relic

10 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The counter-argument is that Boba was raised directly and naturally by Jango, taught in Mandalorian ways etc. That's very different from all the other clones, who don't have that training or background.

'Trading Places' but for Mandos.

1 minute ago, Vaughn said:

I don't have an issue with lots of SW content being created, even in overlapping times but can we please explore something outside of the 25 main characters?

No, because Disney heard loud and clear how if you even try to do that people will complain heavily. 

7 minutes ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

No, because Disney heard loud and clear how if you even try to do that people will complain heavily. 

I mean, not really? The ST did have Han, Leia and Luke in it with a lot of screentime and a lot of focus and attention, so that's not the takeaway, even for Disney executives. And The Mandalorian has a ton of screentime for completely original characters.

10 minutes ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

I really want to object because this isn't why people complained, but I am at the same time too busy cringing in agony about how right you are that that's exactly the lesson they will have taken away from it.

Just now, Werthead said:

I mean, not really? The ST did have Han, Leia and Luke in it with a lot of screentime and a lot of focus and attention, so that's not the takeaway, even for Disney executives. And The Mandalorian has a ton of screentime for completely original characters.

But they tried to do something different with those characters. I'm mostly talking about TLJ more than anything. TLJ set up the possibility of, well, doing different things in a different way - and Disney leaned HARD against that. 

The Mandalorian does have a lot of screentime for original characters, but look at what was announced as spinoffs - Boba Fett, Ahsoka, Rogue Squadron. The only 'new' one is the Cara Dune (seriously?) Rangers of the New Republic bullshit. And again, they're looking to do Luke Skywalker too. 

Star Wars is winning subscribers on doing things that are about nostalgia first and foremost. Capturing the feel of the OT with grim, gritty, backworlds fights and areas and visiting the same planet for no good reason (Tattooine has to be by far the busiest fucking backwater in the history of the universe; it must have a Shoney's or something). When they're not doing that, they're leaning heavily on the backstory they established to fit in with the other canon - the Mandalorian civil war, the clone war, what they did with Thrawn and Ahsoka. Disney is betting on that nostalgia, not new properties.

6 minutes ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

Tattooine has to be by far the busiest fucking backwater in the history of the universe; it must have a Shoney's or something

Well Mos Eisley is the most wretched hive of scum and villainy, so of course it would be busy. Then again those words come from a less than reliable source. :P

14 minutes ago, Toth said:

I really want to object because this isn't why people complained, but I am at the same time too busy cringing in agony about how right you are that that's exactly the lesson they will have taken away from it.

Yeah - I don't think that's the lesson they should have taken, but all you need to know is how much they leaned away from Trevorrow's production and went to TRoS' and its fanservice to see what lesson they learned, which was - play it safe. 

That the internet is exploding with excitement about Luke showing up is not doing that argument any discredit either. 

5 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Well Mos Eisley is the most wretched hive of scum and villainy, so of course it would be busy. Then again those words come from a less than reliable source. :P

Seriously, is there anything Obi-Wan won't fucking lie about?

And oh yeah, Obi-Wan is coming back too! Forgot about that one.

The Crimson Corsair / last surviving clone story might make for a cool live action adaptation. Especially when you think about how the characters backstory could be developed. CT-6116 was present for some really interesting events during the clone war. It would be so out of left field for a stand alone Star Wars film/TV series.

Also, Space Pirates.

Have you guys read those tales of the Jedi dark horse comics? Lots of great original characters (freedon nad, exar kun, ulic quel droma, Nomi sunrider) and interesting settings and planets to play around with (the Republic is 20,000 years old after all), outside of the skywalker saga timeline, if only the mouse would try.... 

28 minutes ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

But they tried to do something different with those characters. I'm mostly talking about TLJ more than anything. TLJ set up the possibility of, well, doing different things in a different way - and Disney leaned HARD against that. 

The Mandalorian does have a lot of screentime for original characters, but look at what was announced as spinoffs - Boba Fett, Ahsoka, Rogue Squadron. The only 'new' one is the Cara Dune (seriously?) Rangers of the New Republic bullshit. And again, they're looking to do Luke Skywalker too. 

Star Wars is winning subscribers on doing things that are about nostalgia first and foremost. Capturing the feel of the OT with grim, gritty, backworlds fights and areas and visiting the same planet for no good reason (Tattooine has to be by far the busiest fucking backwater in the history of the universe; it must have a Shoney's or something). When they're not doing that, they're leaning heavily on the backstory they established to fit in with the other canon - the Mandalorian civil war, the clone war, what they did with Thrawn and Ahsoka. Disney is betting on that nostalgia, not new properties.

Man, it's almost like the thing people like about Star Wars is that it is Star Wars.

I have just solved this issue - folks, we all love the Mando and Baby Yoda, right? Freeze those MFers in carbonite in some bounty hunting mishap, have them float around deep space for 20 years, come back to life 5+ years after Rise of Skywalker. Fan service has been met, new territory can be explored.

Season 3 - wrap up this story arc.

Season 4 - Beyond Skywalker.

Just now, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Have you guys read those tales of the Jedi dark horse comics? Lots of great original characters (freedon nad, exar kun, ulic quel droma, Nomi sunrider) and interesting settings and planets to play around with (the Republic is 20,000 years old after all), outside of the skywalker saga timeline, if only the mouse would try.... 

I mean The Acolyte is supposedly going to take place hundreds of years before the current era.  Seems like trying.

35 minutes ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

Yeah - I don't think that's the lesson they should have taken, but all you need to know is how much they leaned away from Trevorrow's production and went to TRoS' and its fanservice to see what lesson they learned, which was - play it safe. 

That the internet is exploding with excitement about Luke showing up is not doing that argument any discredit either. 

Seriously, is there anything Obi-Wan won't fucking lie about?

And oh yeah, Obi-Wan is coming back too! Forgot about that one.

They took the wrong lessons from the prequels, too. They took the wrong lessons from Solo's financial failure. It's a trend.

1 hour ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

I dunno how this can be true if nearly everyone who has been a SW since the 80s agrees that KotOR was some of the best SW content released to date. Rogue One was generally well received as well (my fav SW movie since the OT). 

2 hours ago, Lord of Rhinos said:

I mean The Acolyte is supposedly going to take place hundreds of years before the current era.  Seems like trying.

That's the 'female-centric' one that they're doing? The one that they couldn't even bother to give a synopsis for?

Nice job. 

Archived