The Mandalorian Season 3 - Season Two Spoilers

Relic

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

Again, I don’t see the need for any action. She was sat at a desk last time we saw her, if they can write Season 3 without visiting one desk then I don’t see the need for an explanation. She was a sometimes character, there’s no grand narrative to The Mandalorian that requires that character to function. It’d be like them firing the frog lady: so what? Don’t go and see her again, done.

Well technically last time we saw her she was on the bridge of the Imperial Light Cruiser, and had an earlier scene referencing her origin from Alderaan, so yea they apparently had some future storylines planned for her, whether it was in the Mandalorian or the Rangers of the Republic, who knows.  

While normally I'm not a fan of these firings for social media ramblings, I'm somewhat sympathetic to the Giant Mouse on this one.  I gather that they probably asked her to tone down her social media messages, and it seems she basically told them to f off.  So, they probably think it's safer not to keep doing business with her.  Pedro had his own share of provocative social media posts that he subsequently took down, which means they probably had the same conversation with him, and he seems to have toned down his act a bit.

Personally, I think social media is the devil, and I really don't like discussing politics with my own family much less complete strangers.  But I can't imagine that anyone reading this post should care at all what I think either.  :D

2 hours ago, Relic said:

all comes back to one thing - 

we need to stop making stupid people famous. 

I don't mind them being famous, as long as they are famous for being stupid, as well as being famous for whatever it is they do for a day job. I do agree that we need to stop making [unelected] stupid people have social influence far beyond what their intellectual capacity would normally justify. Unfortunately I don't see how we, who live in liberal democracies, can stop stupid people from being elected (or even worse appointed) to high political office.

I like to think I am equal opportunity when it comes to supporting a decision to boot celebrities from movies and TV shows for making odious public statements. I'm on record as now boycotting Jim Carrey and Jenny McCarthy for their public anti-vax positions, so I hope I am walking the talk and not being left/right biased. 

58 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I felt like her last scene was a sort of goodbye anyway, i didn’t think the show set up a situation where we would definitely need to see her again. 

What last scene exactly?  I feel like you're alluding to the cold open of the finale with the Aldaraan discussion, but I prefer to think of her last substantive scene as when they're in the elevator and her space laser gun is somehow "jammed" and she fixes it by cursing at it and banging it like it's an old TV or Nintendo.

I'm happy enough that Carano lost the part, but somewhat puzzled by the level of pile-on there's been about her acting. Sure, she wasn't a terrific actor. But folks, I may let you into a little secret here: she wasn't cast because of her acting ability. She was cast because she's physically strong, athletic and trained, but still attractive - and has name recognition, which probably put her over the top.

And that's OK. People are cast in genre stuff all the time for reasons other than their acting ability. Schwarzenegger ain't out there playing Hamlet. Is Dwayne Johnson really getting roles on his acting talent alone? Jason Statham? I'll exempt Dave Bautista because while he's not exactly going to be troubling the Oscars just yet, he's surprisingly OK. But John Cena? Ronda Rousey? Randy Couture?

Sometimes folks are cast in genre movies because they're big, strong and well known. It's a long standing tradition.

4 minutes ago, mormont said:

I'm happy enough that Carano lost the part, but somewhat puzzled by the level of pile-on there's been about her acting. Sure, she wasn't a terrific actor. But folks, I may let you into a little secret here: she wasn't cast because of her acting ability. She was cast because she's physically strong, athletic and trained, but still attractive - and has name recognition, which probably put her over the top.

And that's OK. People are cast in genre stuff all the time for reasons other than their acting ability. Schwarzenegger ain't out there playing Hamlet. Is Dwayne Johnson really getting roles on his acting talent alone? Jason Statham? I'll exempt Dave Bautista because while he's not exactly going to be troubling the Oscars just yet, he's surprisingly OK. But John Cena? Ronda Rousey? Randy Couture?

Sometimes folks are cast in genre movies because they're big, strong and well known. It's a long standing tradition.

Ugh, I really don't think you can compare Carano to The Rock or Schwarzenegger. 

Sure those actors are in some part cast because they look right, but that on it's own won't get you very far. There are plenty of no name action stars out there who are awful at acting and quite rightly never really hit it big. 

Dwayne Johnson gets role based on much more than his size, the guy has charisma, timing and has ok acting chops. Even Bautista has proven he can really do comedy. Statham falls into a similar category, he captures a screen and also has great comic timing. Go watch Spy. 

Carano has had plenty of opportunity in movies and tv to show what she is good at, and it is very limited. I think shes very good in action scenes, thought she was good in Haywire. But she has zero charisma, has no comic timing, cannot emote, can't do the very basics of knowing what to do with her body when a camera is pointed at her. 

I think it's a really bad comparison to even consider that line of thinking

41 minutes ago, mormont said:

Schwarzenegger is such a strange case. He's not a good actor, but he's in a lot of great movies. Strange how that happened.

Just now, Martini Sigil said:

Although it should have happened sooner... she was let go, as she should have been. Every time these red hat psychotic, racist morons suffers consequences, the world becomes a little better  

Ohh the bigots in the fandom menace are going to have a field day with this one. I can already picture all of the "Gina did no wrong" videos they will be posting, in my head right now.

5 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

...shes a racist?

I mean she compared herself to a Jewish person in the holocaust. I mean, that doesn't exactly paint her in a very nice way. I personally just think she was being stupid, but I can see how others could be offended by it as well.

Just now, sifth said:

I mean she compared herself to a Jewish person in the holocaust. I mean, that doesn't exactly paint her in a very nice way. I personally just think she was being stupid, but I can see how others could be offended by it as well.

Again, if you read her quote its clear thats not the point she's making. I think you can lay a lot of things at her doorstep and call her a few things, I've yet to see a reason to say she's racist. You'd have to call a lot of people racist if you counted up everyone who used nazi's and jews as a comparison point on the internet.

If I had an acting job on Star Wars (you know, if I could act) I’m pretty sure I’d quit social media day one. Just doesn’t seem worth it. I wonder if either now or in the future, there are any stipulations in contracts about social media use? I mean obviously you can’t post spoilers, so there must be. But studios must be tempted to just say “the job is yours if you quit social media”, save them a lot of bother in the future?

Archived