The Mandalorian Season 3 - Season Two Spoilers

Relic

9 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Calling Carano a "celebrity" was a stretch. She was unknown before Deadpool outside of US MMA circles and some very limited roles and appearances (she was in Red Alert 3 in 2008 alongside Tim Curry, a game I'd played to completion, but I'd completely forgotten her role in it). Arnie was much better known before he started getting regular acting gigs in the 1980s.

I did sit through all of "Haywire" back in the day because she had already been getting some press and it was Soderbergh and it looked like it might be a pretty interesting take on the action genre, but wow was it a bad performance. She had one, slightly confused facial expression the whole damn time.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Bautista did a lot with a very small role in Blade Runner 2049. I'm interested to see what happens if someone puts him in a more challenging role for a more substantive period of time. I also want to see what Villeneuve can do with him as Rabban in Dune, although that's not the biggest role either.

Schwarzenegger improved a huge amount through his films (like, Hercules in New York is almost unwatchable because of how terrible he is in it, but he was outstanding in The Terminator, and that's not as easy a role as it first looks despite a lack of dialogue), and James Cameron notes that the key was getting Schwarzenegger's respect and getting him involved in each scene, showing him what he wanted to make each scene pop and be kick-arse. When Schwarzenegger invested fully, he found surprising layers of ability. He was never going to be Daniel Day Lewis, but he could go the extra mile when needed, not just as the Terminator but also in a more wisecracking, comedic role in True Lies, and also in a weirdly metatextual role in the underrated Last Action Hero. When the character starts talking about how he has no life because fame and films have taken it all away and he says to his other self, "You've caused me a lot of pain," there's a surprising amount of pathos and feeling there. If you challenged Schwarzenegger, he usually responded with a better performance. If you didn't (and too many directors were probably too scared to), he could be very rote, or wooden.

I love the Terminator mate, the first and second films are amazing, but let's be real, Schwarzenegger basically just had to act intimidating most of the time and hardly showed anything that resembled an emotion. I'm not saying he did a bad job, because I honestly love the films.

I'd also like to not that T2 has possibly my favorite ending to a sci-fi movie ever. I love the theme of hope in that film and the fact that non the good guys in that film do any killing. All of the deaths in the film are by the T-1000, so it really has a strong message about how, you don't need to kill anyone to save the world.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

Bautista did a lot with a very small role in Blade Runner 2049. I'm interested to see what happens if someone puts him in a more challenging role for a more substantive period of time. I also want to see what Villeneuve can do with him as Rabban in Dune, although that's not the biggest role either.

Some early reviews of Dune say that Rabban does have a much bigger role as the Baron is introduced later in the movie, making Rabban the initial primary antagonist. But this is for the Dune thread.

56 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Cast:

Gina Carano: as herself

Ben Shapiro: as ______

Rudy Giuliani: as White Hat hacker (Gene Hackman from EotS role)

Kevin Sorbo: as Herc (love interest - gets beaten up by Ben Shapiro in a muscled body suit with voice modulation)

Scott Bail: as Chachi

James Woods: as Rudy Giuliani 

4 hours ago, sifth said:

I love the Terminator mate, the first and second films are amazing, but let's be real, Schwarzenegger basically just had to act intimidating most of the time and hardly showed anything that resembled an emotion. I'm not saying he did a bad job, because I honestly love the films.

I'd also like to not that T2 has possibly my favorite ending to a sci-fi movie ever. I love the theme of hope in that film and the fact that non the good guys in that film do any killing. All of the deaths in the film are by the T-1000, so it really has a strong message about how, you don't need to kill anyone to save the world.

There was a bit more to it. Watch him with the guns; he familiarised with them to such a degree that they appear an extension of him, he’s reloading without looking at them.

• 8 months later...
35 minutes ago, dog-days said:

So we're going back to Tatooine to comb over old ground again with a bit-part character from the OT. Yawn.

Yeah, not really what the point is about watching Boba fighting for the scraps of Jabba's empire. What's the point? And is it even in-character? Boba never struck me as much of a crime boss.

(*cough* why not reintroduce Talon Karrde at some point... *cough*)

I'm intrigued, people have been saying for a long time that a series / movie / game / whatever which explores Star Wars' seedy underworld could have potential.

What I don't like is that Jon Favreau apparently tweeted that The Mandalorian would lead into the sequel trilogy. This makes me sad. I was hoping that Favreau, as a true Star Wars fan, would recognize the need to wipe the sequel trilogy from the collective memory of humankind.

Being on Tattooine doesn't bother me. Starting there as Fett builds and expands his new criminal empire makes sense.

In some ways, I feel like I'm still getting to know Fett, even after seeing him as a kid in EP2 and CWs, and then a veteran BH in OT. He didn't speak much and was the type who had to be specifically told "no disintegrations." He's changed since the Sarlacc Pit, which makes sense. Rule by respect sounds more like Jango than the Boba we knew pre-Mandalorian.  

Archived