Dark is Rising Read Along, Anniversary Edition

LugaJetboyGirl

Welp, guys. It's been ten years since we had our first 'official' Dark is Rising reread.

Let's do it again!

Chapter reading schedule:

20th Dec - Midwinter's Eve

21st Dec - Midwinter Day, The Sign-Seeker

23rd Dec - The Walker on the Old Way

24th Dec - Christmas Eve, The Book of Gramarye, Betrayal

25th Dec - Christmas Day

[sometime in between - The Coming of the Cold]

5th Jan (Twelfth Night Eve) - The King of Fire and Water, The Hunt Rides

6th Jan (Twelfth Night) - The Joining of the Signs

Okay, I might be doing this by myself, @lady narcissa @Ser Scot A Ellison @Peadar @MinDonner etc etc where you all at?

Reading chapter 1, Midwinter's Eve. So many classic lines in here that are so evocative of the series and just bring it rushing back every time I read:

• "The Walker is abroad," he said again. "And this night will be bad, and tomorrow will be beyond imagining."
  • "Keep it safe, Will...you will need it after the snow comes."
  • It was then, without warning, that the fear came.
  • It was impossible, in a howling snowstorm, for anything living to have made that soft unmistakable thud against the glass that he had heard just before the skylight fell. But buried in the heap of snow, he had found the fresh black wing feather of a rook.

I like the water imagery, given what's to come at the end of the book:

• the rooks cawing in an "ominous murmur, like the swollen Thames in spring"
  • the memories "running out of James' mind like water."

When Will is afraid in his room that night, I always thought it was because the rooks and the Rider and the Dark were bearing down on him. But it's also interesting that he seems to sense that he's turning into an Old One, or am I interpreting that wrong? He thinks that something is "trying to make him into someone else." Is that the Dark trying to "turn him into something he didn't want to be" or is this his transformation happening at the same time?

3 hours ago, LugaJetboyGirl said:

Okay, I might be doing this by myself, @lady narcissa @Ser Scot A Ellison @Peadar @MinDonner etc etc where you all at?

Reading chapter 1, Midwinter's Eve. So many classic lines in here that are so evocative of the series and just bring it rushing back every time I read:

• "The Walker is abroad," he said again. "And this night will be bad, and tomorrow will be beyond imagining."
  • It was impossible, in a howling snowstorm, for anything living to have made that soft unmistakable thud against the glass that he had heard just before the skylight fell. But buried in the heap of snow, he had found the fresh black wing feather of a rook.

When Will is afraid in his room that night, I always thought it was because the rooks and the Rider and the Dark were bearing down on him. But it's also interesting that he seems to sense that he's turning into an Old One, or am I interpreting that wrong? He thinks that something is "trying to make him into someone else." Is that the Dark trying to "turn him into something he didn't want to be" or is this his transformation happening at the same time?

In addition to the water imagery there’s birth imagery all over the place.  Will in a ball his bed over the fear of emergence.  The warmth and comfort of family and protection offered by family as the birth proceeds.  

This is such a wonderful series.  And a particularly good book.  :)

10 hours ago, LugaJetboyGirl said:

I have not read these since before the Age of Men. I won't be getting a chance this year either :(

@Ser Scot A Ellison Somehow I never noticed the birth imagery until you mentioned it, but I immediately found some more in Midwinter Day. Cool! Lots more sun/light imagery as well. Some of it is pretty obvious, like the clouds blowing away when Will hears the sound of John Smith's hammer, to the suns and stars sparkling in the white mare's mane.

Speaking of the white mare, is she a reference to Shadowfax, or the Uffington White Horse, or some other white horse from British myth?

Love the Midwinter Day chapter, with the silent snowy timeless morning.

In The Sign-Seeker chapter, Merriman says the circle has been growing for 4000 years. What do you think happened in 2000 BCE?

2 hours ago, LugaJetboyGirl said:

In The Sign-Seeker chapter, Merriman says the circle has been growing for 4000 years. What do you think happened in 2000 BCE?

Good question. The completion of Stonehenge might be relevant?

I was not going to do this this year, I do try to take years off in between rereads just to keep it fresh.  And I am reading 2 other Christmas reads right now and have 2 more scheduled for the 12 days of Christmas!  But I ended up reading Midwinter's Eve last night and as always got sucked right back in.  I suspect I will not be able to stay perfectly on schedule as I try to juggle the other books this season.  But I will do my best.

A few years ago I did a series of posts on instagram for every chapter during my reread and I really enjoyed doing that and trying to come up with images that best captured the essence of each chapter.  I hope to do that again some future year but not this year.  Midwinter's Eve for me is always about that snowy road and the rooks filling the air.  I'm forever looking on instagram for a picture that for me best captures the road but its never quite right.  Perhaps best left to the imagination.

As always when reading Midwinter's Eve, Will's terror when he is alone in his bed in the dark is just so moving.  I tend to find myself looking around my own darkened room - thankfully no skylights! - and holding my breath to listen for any similar sounds.  Thankfully nothing here! 

Yesterday was a long day and I only made it about halfway through Midwinter’s day.  One thing that did strike me is how... polite and rule bound both those of the Dark, Light, and among those with knowledge of the fight but who are not on either side actually are.  

The Rider, even when he attempts to snatch Will during Will’s opening moments as an “Old One” simply moves on when he is unsuccessful due to John Smith’s intervention.  I also like the very casual way amazing magic is woven into the story.  Will awakes and is immediately thrust thousands of years back into the past.  The mechanism isn’t explained it’s just part of the background.

There is almost an element of magical realism the way the “system” isn’t defined.

Has anyone else read The Old Ways by Robert MacFarlane?

He’s a travel writer who is interested in ancient human places.  The title of the book grabbed me when I saw it years ago, in part because of my love of this series.  

In The Old Ways MacFarlane examines the ancient places humans walked and the anthropological implications of those “places of travel” have for us as people.

I have not read MacFarlane's book but a few years ago he joined up with the regular Dark is Rising reread that takes place every year on Twitter and drew attention to it and really grew the followers for that.  His participation made for a more robust discussion than usual.

2 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

I have not read MacFarlane's book but a few years ago he joined up with the regular Dark is Rising reread that takes place every year on Twitter and drew attention to it and really grew the followers for that.  His participation made for a more robust discussion than usual.

That’s pretty cool.  I’ve read his books The Old Ways and Underworld.  He’s interesting.

:)

On 12/21/2020 at 11:48 PM, felice said:

Good question. The completion of Stonehenge might be relevant?

Hmm, and of course Stonehenge is a circle, so we could speculate that it was first set up as part of the Light's early efforts. The 4,000 year thing is going to plague me.Maybe I'll tweet at the The Dark is Rising Reread account and see if they have any ideas. In today's chapter, Merriman says the Old Ones have been walking the Ways for 3,000 years. The history of the battle between Light and Dark is so interesting; now that I think on it, it's rather unusual for a Light/Dark conflict NOT to be eternal, or long-lasting. But in this case, it really is finite.

And Ser Scot, I love that we got introduced to the Ways officially in this chapter. It's something that I remember so strongly from my childhood readings of the book. Poor Will, he's a kid and is so excited about the undisturbed snowy track, but danger is hidden behind this pleasant, innocuous image (just like the snow Will so desperately wanted).

The poor Walker. What the Old Ones make him do is one of the great injustices in this book.

Ok, I'm caught up now :) "Twitter twitter twitter" on the first page has some new connotations since the last thread.

On 12/21/2020 at 1:09 PM, LugaJetboyGirl said:

I think he's afraid of his own imminent transformation/awakening into an Old One as much as the Dark outside, yes. It is ambiguous, though.

1 hour ago, LugaJetboyGirl said:

The history of the battle between Light and Dark is so interesting; now that I think on it, it's rather unusual for a Light/Dark conflict NOT to be eternal, or long-lasting. But in this case, it really is finite.

I get the impression that it's linked to the local development of human civilisation, with the Bronze Age being a significant turning point. The Light and Dark as forces would have been around much longer, but perhaps less anthropomorphic, and less ordered.

2 hours ago, felice said:

I think he's afraid of his own imminent transformation/awakening into an Old One as much as the Dark outside, yes. It is ambiguous, though.

..this certainly fits the  moment when Will worries about all his family thinking about him and his age in case someone else can hear their thoughts ... and then they start discussing the fact that he seems to be old soul. 

On a mundane note, I just like the way Will's experience of the weather is so well described. Its connected to otherworldly events, but I'd enjoy reading it even if it wasn't. It had a certain novelty to a currently indolent, air conditioned and centrally heated person such as myself. It also reminded me of when I spent 6 months in England as a child. I remember staring up at rooks nests in the bare trees while the wind swept through my tights and froze my legs while standing at assembly in the school playground. I also experienced twilight which doesn't happen where I live in Australia and had a moody fascination for me.

Twilight is pretty awesome. You know what else sounds awesome and British? Having a Yule log. Every time I read today's chapter I desperately want a real Yule log to burn in the fire place, especially because of the way the Yule log and the making of the Third Sign in the fireplace echo each other. Want.

The Christmas Eve chapter also has another very evocative and beautiful scene, with the children singing in Miss Greythorne's hall. Speaking of which, I do get a little confused about the aging of the Old Ones. Like, they live and age but can jump around through time. So are they technically not immortal then?

Also, watching Merriman interact with Hawkin all cutesy, as if everything is okay, when Merriman knows full well what is about to happen to Hawkin really really pisses me off.

15 minutes ago, LugaJetboyGirl said:

Twilight is pretty awesome. You know what else sounds awesome and British? Having a Yule log. Every time I read today's chapter I desperately want a real Yule log to burn in the fire place, especially because of the way the Yule log and the making of the Third Sign in the fireplace echo each other. Want.

The Christmas Eve chapter also has another very evocative and beautiful scene, with the children singing in Miss Greythorne's hall. Speaking of which, I do get a little confused about the aging of the Old Ones. Like, they live and age but can jump around through time. So are they technically not immortal then?

Also, watching Merriman interact with Hawkin all cutesy, as if everything is okay, when Merriman knows full well what is about to happen to Hawkin really really pisses me off.

I think they are immortal.  But clearly they age... and live outside of time.  It’s wonderfully confusing.  :)  

I’m on “The Book of Gramarye”.

Ms. Cooper has a bit of Tolkien to her with “Ms. Horniman’s” dred of “the decimal” and her saved “silver sixpences”.  :)

On 12/25/2020 at 3:15 PM, LugaJetboyGirl said:

Merriman doesn't have any choice; the events of that night are in his past (even if he hasn't lived through them yet) and he can't alter them. It must be a painful experience for him.

Archived