The Holiday Party Thread

Fragile Bird

No, Christmas was not cancelled, it’s still happening, but has to be celebrated differently.

But...I do understand everyone who had been saying “my Christmas has been cancelled”. And every other year-end celebration that should be going on but won’t be. My objection is about the way some politicians have weaponized the phrase.

So, come here and celebrate instead. We’re all in the same boat except those lucky bastards in the Antipodes. 

Let me start by wishing everyone a happy holiday, as happy as we can make it! :)  I appreciate every one of you and I hope you all continue to post here, and that you and all your loved ones and friends and neighbors stay safe and secure now and into 2021. 

I’ll stop there before I get maudlin or something.

Here's hoping and you and we will come through to the other side, whenever that other side is!

Holiday tradition in a friend's family: ever since he was 18 her son has ordered her the annual Swarovski Crystal Star / Snowflake, which arrives the day before the Solstice.  He's now 30.  She checked and saw this year all Swarovski Stars were sold out.  Yet -- her arrived today, via Fed Ex, just as it was supposed to.  Her beaming face on Zoom rivals the sparkle of the crystal.

https://www.swarovski.com/en-US/p-5511041/Annual-Edition-Ornament-2020/

24 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I plan on drinking a minimum of 20 units of alcohol every day from Friday 18th until Monday 4th Jan, who is with me? 

I can't say I'll match you unit for unit but I absolutely guarantee you I also will be having at least a few "cups o' cheer" every day from Dec. 18 - Jan. 4.  So, I'm definitely with you in spirit!:cheers: 

20 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Soooooo, in bottles of wine, how much is this per day?? 

20 units is two bottles of wine (750ml per) per day.  That’s a solid commitment to holiday cheer.

I have the next two weeks off work.  I’m looking forward to the break.

I can't match BFC's intake, but we are definitely imbibing.

We've gone from months of stone cold sober (funny, we didn't feel ... sober) to now drinking quite a bit of both wine and beer.  I thought we'd stopped cold because everything was so weird and we were so scared and we had so much to do and it wasn't any fun.  Nothing's changed in that except that we feel a deep need for the hooch now.  Not for fun but to just keep going.  Weird. weird, weird.

Lemme see. 20 units of EthOH/day right? I think from memory 1 IU of EthOH is 10g by weight (not volume).

Option 1:
I can get scrumpy cider (8% by vol) in 1.25l bottles, so 2 of these bottles (2.5l) of scrumpy will deliver 200ml of EthOH which is about equal to 20 units (slight difference with by vol vs by weight).

Option 2:
Trade up to a faster delivery system. Landlady has a stash of Bombay Sapphire Gin, the 1140ml bottles batch @47% ABV  (which somehow they don't sell outside of Airport Duty Free stores). At 47% ABV one would only need to imbibe around 426ml of this to get 20 units worth. Of course one should titrate this over ice with quality tonic water steeped with a slice of lime.   

TL:DR yeah I'm in. But maybe only for the first day or two. I reserve the right to pass out on the Sunday after Christmas.  

****consume safely people :cheers:

1 hour ago, Soylent Brown said:

For the whisky drinkers with calculators, there are 28 units of alcohol in a 40% 70cl bottle.

And for those drinking in fractions, I believe your vessels of joy/sweet oblivion contain 30 units.

For cowards!

1 hour ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

All I know is that one bottle of chardonnay has 600 calories. That’s a lot of damned calories.

This is why I gained weight at the beginning of the pandemic.

I’ll get some Chardonnay for the holiday and some champagne for New Year’s Eve, though.

I have both of these on the counter plus a pumpkin spice liqueur and bloody Mary so far. I will get a 6 pack or 2 of stout beers to have a variety to choose from (our Xmas bubble will be 4 this year).

I think I am taking in around 15 units per day, but I am flagging. And I think  may feel...better.... today, after a lighter evening last. I even ran 6k and had a lovely swim.

Why? Why can't I get my daily 20 and still run 10k per day? (oh, right... I'm not 20 anymore)

Sigh. I suppose there's fruit in daiquiris and I had vegetable in the mojitos and margaritas. It'll be fine.

I wanted to be home this year for the holidays, for the first time in... 12 years. If COVID cools down, I may make it next summer, meaning it will have been three years without seeing my family. And I see the infection rates have finally come to my former home (current home of my gf), after the land of smiles holding it at bay for most of the year.

I am not feeling a lot of holiday cheer. I am trying to be positive and look on the bright side, but it's a challenge this year. Thanks for making this thread, FB. I am hoping my spirits rise with the tales of others celebrating :)    In the meantime, I'll raise spirits one way or another. 

Archived