Video Games- Game of the Year

Fez

Old thread had grown well beyond 400; time for a new one.

So what's everyone game of the year of 2020?

Making a top 10 list for the year, mine is:

1. Hades: t's pretty much the first rogue-like I ever liked, much less loved. Everything about it was so well designed and fun to play.

2. Horizon Zero Dawn: It only came out on PC in 2020 so I'm counting it. I loved this game so much; almost enough to consider getting a PS5 when the sequel comes out.

3. Persona 4 Golden: Also only came out on PC in 2020. Such a great JRPG; I really want Persona 5 to come out too, but I guess I'll settle for that Strikers game in February.

4. Crusader Kings 3: It's fun to conquer Europe!

5. Cyberpunk 2077: It's got flaws, but I'm a sucker for a story-driven RPG.

6. Journey: Also only came out on PC in 2020. An incredible 90 minutes.

7. Tony Hawk Pro Skater's 1+2: Such a good remake, and brought back serious childhood nostalgia.

8. Desperados III: I don't like true RTS games anymore, but this stealth sub-genre is so good.

9. Banner of the Maid: The steam page makes it look a bit like a perv-y game, but it's really not. It's a solid tactics game set in alt history revolutionary France starring Napoleon's magical girl sister. 

10. Library of Ruinia: A really bizarre SCP-inspired (and maybe also Korean mythology-inspired, I'm not sure) game. It doesn't have an ending yet, and it gets grindy later on. But it was such a unique, well-written experience that I gotta give it props.

Honorable Mention: Disco Elysium: I should've played this earlier, I don't know why I didn't. It was such an incredible experience that is maybe my actual favorite game I played this year, but its not a 2020 game.

Ha. I was about to make a new thread concerning the mythical PS5. I still haven't gotten a hold of one. What a shitty roll out, over a month after initial release.

My Hearts of Iron IV play through has developed into a very interesting WW II. It's February 1943. Japan and Italy allied with the Soviet Union and are currently at war with Britain and it's subjects plus China.

The U.S. is still sitting on the sidelines. 

As Germany I'm also at war with Britain (Not going to hassle the Comintern until our mutual enemy has been defeated). I've conquered Poland, Czechoslovakia,Hungary, France, Denmark, Belgium, The Netherlands, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Sweden and Norway.

Himmler is currently in charge because Hitler was assassinated by disaffected military officers.

While I build up my fleet for the invasion of Britain I decided to launch an attack on Spain. My panzer divisions crossed the Pyrenees along the Mediterranean coast, but haven't been able to advance that far down the peninsula because of supply problems. Time to reorganize and prepare for a new push.

1 hour ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Ha. I was about to make a new thread concerning the mythical PS5. I still haven't gotten a hold of one. What a shitty roll out, over a month after initial release.

Yeah, I’m still on the hunt.  I’m still actually really disappointed in that local gal I mentioned in the last thread.  And I started following a Twitter account that updates when places stock and I see people on there saying they’ve scored five or six of them.  Just so frustrating.

Was talking with a couple friends about it and one of them said “It’s capitalism.” :dunno:  But then the other friend summed it up perfectly “I think of them like PayDay lenders.  It’s not illegal; but it’s definitely unethical.”

Other than “buzz” or the ability to say “Look how much demand there is!” I just don’t see what advantage Sony gets by allowing people to scalp their product.

Hell yeah Hades!

I've raved about it before but really it's just everything. If it were just the roguelite loop of combat, death, upgrade a bit, try again, even then it'd be a very good game because that part of it is very compelling, well-realised, and just feels great to play, but it's not. It's the story, the voice acting, the interesting and diverse cast of characters, the writing, the art, the music (oh the music, the battle music is really, really good but wow the first time I encountered Eurydice in her little slice of peace in Asphodel I just had to stop and listen for a while), and most of all all the relationships you build with everyone in the underworld.

For those who haven't played here's the song I mentioned:

43 minutes ago, Poobah said:

the music (oh the music, the battle music is really, really good but wow the first time I encountered Eurydice in her little slice of peace in Asphodel I just had to stop and listen for a while)

All the music in Hades is so, so good. But, for me, nothing tops the song you here after the 10th clear of the game. I'm sure the emotion of the moment influenced me some, but even ignoring that, its an absolute banger.

Of the 2020 releases I've played, Cyberpunk 2077 is probably the most outstanding for story and characters, but also the most outstanding for jank. Horizon Zero Dawn is a close second for all three categories bar bugs, where it takes the prize (the PC version was buggy as fuck, far moreso than CP77).

Desperados III was terrific as well. Battlestar Galactica Deadlock got its last batch of DLC this year which really made it into the best all-conquering space combat strategy game it could be, second only to the Homeworld series in the genre. Outstanding stuff.

Cloudpunk can also get a huge honourable mention for both being great fun and also for the way the developers have released a ton of new content for it all year long, making it a bigger, better-playing, better-looking, more fun game.

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

Yeah, I’m still on the hunt.  I’m still actually really disappointed in that local gal I mentioned in the last thread.  And I started following a Twitter account that updates when places stock and I see people on there saying they’ve scored five or six of them.  Just so frustrating.

6 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

My son must have been bloody lucky. He pre-ordered the day pre-orders went live and his PS5 arrived on launch day. He's already platinumed Demon's Souls, the shit! Though I believe the PS5 Demon's Souls platinum is easier to get then the PS3 one, so I comfort myself in the belief he couldn't have platinumed the PS3 version.

For all Cyberpunk 2077 may well be on most PC gamer's top 10 for 2020, it won't be on any console gamer's top 10 for 2020. Maybe it'll be their 2021 GOTY, but as far as 2020 is concern it just joins the steaming pile of shit this whole year has been. And for some people for whom gaming is a way to take a break from the stresses real life throws our way the disappointment of a game they were looking forward the most over the past couple of years, in this of all years, will be a bitter disappointment. CDPR appears to have been actually deceitful about the functionality of this game, that's not OK.

I am starting to become less inclined to judge a game's worth purely based on my own personal experience of it, and am including broader elements of the product, including working conditions, and the experience of the game for others. I can't judge Cyberpunk as a game because I'll never play it (mostly because of it's first person style), but don't consider The Last of Us II one of my favourites of the year, because of the blood, sweat and tears that were not voluntarily given to achieve the result. I know how real sausages are made, and it doesn't spoil my appetite. But learning about how the video game sausage is made does detract from the enjoyment. Shit, if it's revealed Bioware pulls the kind of crunch on Dragon Age 4 and Mass Effect "4" as it did on Anthem (and I suppose Mass Effect Andromeda) I may lose motivation to play them.

Also, my other son had played Hades since it went early access, and he hasn't stopped playing it. I think it would be his game of the year for 2019 and 2020.

I think I’ve only played 3 new releases this year: Animal Crossing (my girlfriend’s game that I’ve played a bit of), Doom Eternal and Spiritfarer. Doom was really fun, but also really annoying in places, so I’d have to give it to Spiritfarer, which was very moving, with gorgeous visuals.

Oh I played Gris too, which had wonderful art design, but the gameplay was so-so.

ETA: I’ll be looking to pick up Hades I think, following all the recommendations on here.

2 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Inspired by the above posts, I went looking for a list of games released in 2020. Of course there's a wikipedia page for it. Of course. 

If this list is even remotely accurate, then the only game released in 2020 that I've played was...The Outer Worlds

It isn't, Outer Worlds is a 2019 game.

I definitely want to play Hades at some point given all the hype. It sounds like something I might actually finish, which didn't happen with Bastion or Transistor despite how good they were.

Games I've played in 2020 that were actually released in 2020:

XCom Chimera Squad: I didn't really get the hang of the change in the initiative system away from the your turn/alien turn system the previous games used, and I left it because I got stuck on a hard mission. I've seen in reviews since that I chose the wrong faction as the first one to go after, and I want to get back to the game and finish it before XCOM 3 happens: 7/10

DOOM Eternal: I played both the 2016 DOOM and Eternal this year, and its the most fun I've had in a shooter since the 40K Space Marine game, and for much the same reasons - you're not hiding in cover sniping at enemies also hiding in cover, you're running around all guns blazing and you get health back from punching things to death. There's a story in the games, with the usual tropes and sudden-but-inevitable betrayals, but no-one plays DOOM for the story: 9/10

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla: I haven't played an AC game since Black Flag, but the hype and the setting brought me back for this one. It's now reminding me why I haven't played an AC game since Black Flag. Each region seems to be its own story with very little connection to the other regions (I'm onto the 6th region in England now, and it's the first one to explictly follow from a previous region). There's just enough hints of the overall arc to keep me interested, but I won't be getting next year's AC game. Also, if you're going to have the Builder as the main questline in Asgard, don't change the ending, it's one of the best Loki come-uppances in Norse mythology: 6/10

12 minutes ago, Denvek said:

It isn't, Outer Worlds is a 2019 game.

Oh I see why it's listed as 2020 - the Nintendo Switch. My bad. Thanks for pointing out the release error! 

Shit, then uh...I haven't really played any game released this year.

Oh there was the Blade Runner: Cells Interlinked mod that I played - but that's probably about as close as it gets to "new". 

5 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

My son must have been bloody lucky. He pre-ordered the day pre-orders went live and his PS5 arrived on launch day.

Saw a rumor on Twitter that Target would release stock to local stores for pick up at either 3AM or 6AM.

Set an alarm for both.  At 6:10 it was in stock at my local store.  Had it in my cart but kept giving me an unexpected error.  Eventually just got an out of stock message.

:tantrum: 

ETA:  A few minutes later they did a restock on the XBox.  After a half hour up, there are still 2 available at my local store.  :bang: 

10 hours ago, Fez said:

All the music in Hades is so, so good. But, for me, nothing tops the song you here after the 10th clear of the game. I'm sure the emotion of the moment influenced me some, but even ignoring that, its an absolute banger.

Oh yeah that's a great song. There's also a track that plays during the final phase of the final boss battle on the Extreme Measures 4 setting which is an absolute banger.

I play so few games actually released in the same year that my list just has to be games I played for the first time this year, whenever they were released. I'm sure I'll be getting a couple 2020 games over the holidays - I have a feeling I'll be playing Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity and Immortals: Fenyx Rising soon. But for now, best games I played this year:

1. The Outer Wilds: even though I had some quibbles with the game as I was playing it, including those godawful anglerfish, this game has really stuck with me. Its combination of exploration, time based puzzle solving, and existential dread (and beauty) really come together to create something special.

2. The Witcher 3: Heart of Stone and Blood and Wine: I replayed The Witcher 3 this year and finally decided to tackle the two big DLCs, which weren't out when I first played the game. I loved them both; especially compared to the game's main quest, Heart of Stone really benefited from having a more streamlined quest and a wonderful antagonist. Even though I was starting to get burnt out by the time I got to Blood and Wine, it's a wonderful DLC; Toussaint is great for exploration and there were some fantastic quests. As a whole, it's going to be very hard for anyone making this kind of RPG (CDPR included, judging from Cyberpunk reviews) to top this game.

3. Disco Elysium: This was the most fun I had playing a new RPG in a very long time, and definitely the best top down RPG I've ever played (no combat, yes!). The main mystery fizzles out a little but the real fun of this game was the excellent worldbuilding, humour, and even better character-building. I'm excited for another playthrough, not because I think I'll get a "different ending," but because I want to explore this world from the perspective of a different, but no doubt just as dysfunctional, version of Harry.

4. Animal Crossing: New Horizons: An actual 2020 game! This was my first Animal Crossing. While I haven't touched it in a while, creating my own special island paradise/hellscape really sucked me in during the Spring and Summer. In the early days of the pandemic and lockdowns, when my life was filled with anxiety, this game provided a fun and joyous distraction, and also helped keep my friends and I connected.

5. Hades: A roguelike that I actually liked! While I bounced off the game more quickly than many others (about 30-35 hours in, after getting the credits ending), the gameplay is very fun, the storytelling is interesting and innovative, and I loved developing relationships with characters, at least until I hit a grinding wall at about hour 30. And of course, as usual, Darren Korb's soundtrack is superb. Supergiant really can do no wrong, and I'm sure once I've had a little bit more of a break, I'll get back into it.

6. Among Us: As with Animal Crossing, I really treasure this game for helping me stay connected with friends during the pandemic. I don't play with randoms; some people seem to take this game way too seriously. But with friends with voice and/or video chat, this is a very fun party game.

7. The Outer Worlds: This wasn't a groundbreaking or innovative game, but it scratched exactly the itch I had: a mix of Fallout New Vegas and Mass Effect 2, with some hilarious and strong Obsidian writing. It was close to the perfect length for what it was and I had a great time with it. Plus in my ending I got ice cream. What's not to love?

8. Crusader Kings III: I'm guessing this will go up the list as I spent more time with it over the holidays and really learn its systems. For now, UIwise it's a clear update on CK II and I love the incentives to roleplay. It just hasn't sucked me in yet, but I'm sure it will.

9. Subnautica: I didn't finish this game, and I don't know that I ever will. Playing it caused a lot of anxiety; I have a fear of giant deep sea creatures, and so I was constantly paranoid that some sea-behemoth was coming to eat me, especially as I went deeper and deeper. It was also a bit too directionless for my tastes. But it's clearly a really well done and cool game; just probably not for me.

10. Cadence of Hyrule: Crypt of the Necromancer: A fun music-rhythm-Zelda combo game. The gameplay is very satisfying, but the music and remixes are the best part.

29 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Disco Elysium: This was the most fun I had playing a new RPG in a very long time, and definitely the best top down RPG I've ever played (no combat, yes!). The main mystery fizzles out a little but the real fun of this game was the excellent worldbuilding, humour, and even better character-building. I'm excited for another playthrough, not because I think I'll get a "different ending," but because I want to explore this world from the perspective of a different, but no doubt just as dysfunctional, version of Harry.

You should hold off on that replay until March. They're releasing a definitive edition that is going to have new content and will now have voice acting for every single line in the game (as opposed to just the really important ones like it currently does). And its going to be free for all current owners.

I was thinking of doing a replay myself, and then saw the announcement last week.

Good shout on XCOM: Chimera Squad. A good example of a main series spin-off that improved, innovated and experimented, and didn't outstay its welcome.

I also enjoyed Gears Tactics, at least the first half of it before the game decided to descend into being a merciless grind for hours and hours on end.

Archived