Video Games- Game of the Year

Fez

22 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Aaaah Morrowind.

The hours I spent having my character run into a wall to level up. 

The best way to travel will always be that jump spell which allowed you to hurl yourself huge distances across the map. 

Couldn't you basically fly in that game with the right spells/potions?

Yep, the key in Morrowind was to get the boots of blinding speed, get the spell that let you dispel the blindness, learn to levitate, and then zip all around the map. Fun times. Though I don't know if I could do another Morrowind playthrough- there is a lot of grinding in that game. I think I remember that the best way to level up sneak was to stay in one spot with something weighing down your sneak key for hours at a time.

Oh god, plus the cliff racers. I hate them so much...

It's funny to see people who started with Oblivion having trouble getting into Morrowind, because I had the exact opposite experience: played Morrowind first and couldn't get into Oblivion at all. I love Skyrim though.

Speaking of nostalgia, I bought the original Deus Ex on GOG, where it currently costs less than a dollar. I also found some graphics mods which make it slightly less hideous-looking to modern eyes. Although I wonder if I'll feel comfortable with its plot in 2021, since from what I remember, its story is pretty much "what if Alex Jones and QAnon are right?"

My current plan is to play through the Deus Ex series chronologically, which should take me a few months with my limited gaming time. I'll finish my replay of Human Revolution, play Mankind Divided for the first time, and then play the modded Deus Ex 1.

I'm not replaying Deus Ex 2, because fuck Deus Ex 2.

16 hours ago, aceluby said:

Was on paternity leave the last couple months and cleared out a bit of my backlog.

Started with HZD and it might be the best game I've played in a very, very long time.  The story and narrative was tight, the combat was fluid and incredibly fun, I did literally all of the missions I could except for the hunting grounds and still wanted more, the DLC pushed the envelope is just the right ways, and the overall length was long, but not overly so (like RDR2).  As close to a perfect game as it gets IMO.

Next up was Control.  Had no idea what it was about except some people here like it, but hit a lot of great notes for me.  Story was super weird and hard to follow, but somehow it was engaging and still very much a positive because of it.  The combat was difficult, but manageable.  And by the end it was just so much fun with all your powers, plus the last level is just bonkers fun.  Had a great time with it, but knock off a few points because it was kinda glitchy in spots (seems to be geared for the "pro" version of consoles and high end PCs), the side quests for the most part seemed like pure filler, and the skill tree was kind of unnecessarily huge which meant underutilizing skills unless you did a ton of the side quests.

After that was Tomb Raider: Enhanced Edition.  Nice, short, fun little adventure game.  Probably should have been called Lara Croft: Mass Murderer, but I digress.  Best part of the game are the optional tombs/puzzles, which there seems to be too few of and too much straight up action.

Currently playing Rise of the Tomb Raider, and am generally enjoying it, but there's too much filler stuff and required crafting.  Really want to finish out the series though.

Also decided that I'm going to wait on getting a PS5 until there are games on it not released on other systems.  I heard Horizon Forbidden West will be dual released, which was the only game I really wanted to play on PS5 besides Demon's Souls.  Hopefully I can hold out until a Pro or slim version.

I love your recent gaming choices.  Horizon, Control and Tomb Raider-Rise-Shadow(counted as one big game for space reasons) take up three spots on my top five favorite games list.  Well done!

I'll grab the new consoles when they start showing up at the store I guess. 

I think I'll play some more Shadowlands tonight.  I'm already falling behind but I just can't seem to give that game up.

I remember being an avid Morrowind player and transitioning to Oblivion. The one thing that killed that game for me was the levelling. That no matter how much I level up my character, it didn't tend to make the game easier in most areas made the game almost pointless for me. Have to admit I never really loved Oblivion, most of it's mechanics such as the gates were all a little tedious and it's the one Elder Scrolls game I put the least amount of time into.

Morrowind was basically that old-school RPG where you had areas with higher lvl monsters, and you get punked if you ventured there. Happened with Baldur's Gate as well, for instance. Since that's how it worked with loosely open-world games I had played, I never had a trouble with Morrowind. You just have to keep in mind the average difficulty lvl of the areas, and if you want to go there, stick to the road. It's mostly in the beginning, around Pelagiad and Balmora, that it was tricky. On the other hand, like any real RPG, you knew that when you were more powerful, you could go back and beat the shit out of the goons and monsters who mauled you earlier. Oblivion was full stupid with level-scaling, and that's a heinous notion - same for WOW nowadays, to a lesser extent. It was painful to clean the random dungeons here and there at the end, when you've beaten the game, and find fucking goblins with monster stats, huge amount of hit points, and god-tier armor and weapon; in any normal game, you should do the whole thing in 2 minutes, instead you spent 2 min with each mob, and then had to repair your gear because it was nearly destroyed... Late-game high-level Oblivion wasn't difficult, just obnoxious and uselessly lengthy.

With Oblivion, the other real pain in the ass were the Oblivion gates. Never did them all, just the main ones and one of each types, and that was it. Too many copy-pasted dungeons and gates.

Still in both cases it can be kind of tricky to level up - in Morrowind, I had amassed a huge hoard of goodies in Caldera to sell to that wealthy creep merchant, and then I went to tour some trainers to buy and boost minor stats before levelling up fully.

Flying was great. You could make your own spells to help you fly. Or there were some mods with clearly OP artefacts.

11 minutes ago, Clueless Northman said:

Oblivion was full stupid with level-scaling, and that's a heinous notion - same for WOW nowadays, to a lesser extent.

There are several patches that fixed this and several other issues. 

Reposting from the Cyberpunk thread:

Just FYI for those who are thinking of checking out Cyberpunk 2077 Amazon has the XBox and PS versions of the game for some 40% off right now, by the by, and 33% off on the PC version. This is for physical copies of the game, rather than digital. I'm assuming the release blowback led to overstock and they're dumping some. A steal, IMO, at twice the price, but YMMV. I've read a lot of people say that the two hotfixes have made the game substantially more stable on older consoles, and we're just a few days from the first of two largeish patches.

57 minutes ago, Ran said:

Reposting from the Cyberpunk thread:

Just FYI for those who are thinking of checking out Cyberpunk 2077 Amazon has the XBox and PS versions of the game for some 40% off right now, by the by, and 33% off on the PC version. This is for physical copies of the game, rather than digital. I'm assuming the release blowback led to overstock and they're dumping some. A steal, IMO, at twice the price, but YMMV. I've read a lot of people say that the two hotfixes have made the game substantially more stable on older consoles, and we're just a few days from the first of two largeish patches.

I read about the problems on the PS4.

Any word on stability of the game on PS5?

Isn't Cyperpunk on the next-gen consoles just an upscaled version of the current gen consoles?  I thought I read that somewhere and that the next gen won't get a "true" version of it until later this year.  Seems like there's a few games like that, but I haven't been following too closely since CP doesn't interest me in the slightest and I've tabled any thoughts of getting a PS5 until I've played through my backlog a bit.

9 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Isn't Cyperpunk on the next-gen consoles just an upscaled version of the current gen consoles?  I thought I read that somewhere and that the next gen won't get a "true" version of it until later this year.  Seems like there's a few games like that, but I haven't been following too closely since CP doesn't interest me in the slightest and I've tabled any thoughts of getting a PS5 until I've played through my backlog a bit.

I wasn’t sure if it was getting a dedicated PS5 release.  If that’s the case, I will wait.

I had thought Ghost of Tsushima was getting a PS5 release which is part of why I waited to play it, but have not seen anything about it. :dunno:

Just now, Rhom said:

I wasn’t sure if it was getting a dedicated PS5 release.  If that’s the case, I will wait.

I had thought Ghost of Tsushima was getting a PS5 release which is part of why I waited to play it, but have not seen anything about it. :dunno:

I heard that as well.  I think it's just rumor at this point, but one of those rumors that is extremely likely.

Interesting info when looking into how to get my shiny new PS5 to work on remote play on my work computer like my PS4.

f you want to play your PS5 games on a desktop or laptop, you can stream them using the PS Remote Play app. Download the app for Windows or Mac, install it, then log into your PSN account. It will then search for all PlayStation consoles available for streaming. 

At this point, you can connect a PS4 or PS5 controller to your PC to start playing. The DualShock 4 and DualSense controllers both work, even for PS5 games, but other controllers (like Xbox) won’t work. However, the caveat with the Windows version of Remote Play is that supported controllers can only be connected over USB. Only the macOS version works for both wired and Bluetooth connections.

I was worried I would need to buy another DualSense.  I’m not sure why they had to switch up the DualShock if the PS4 controllers will work with the streaming.  :dunno: 

If I want to use my PS4, I’m going to have to figure out my Ethernet thought.  I swapped the wired connection to the PS5 and put the PS4 on WiFi.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

CP2077 is getting a free "next gen" update next year, rather than a dedicated release. 

The reason it works better on the next gen consoles currently is simply the greater hardware power -- more RAM/VRAM, faster SSDs, etc.

Archived