Video Games- Game of the Year

Fez

17 hours ago, Werthead said:

I remember Vice City having an RC helicopter mission which was almost unplayable and was a big barrier to progress. I don't recall GTA3 or San Andreas having a comparable problematic mission, except maybe SA's very last mission, where you're trying do defeat Samuel L. Jackson and have to catch your brother in the back of your car after he's thrown from a chaotically-moving vehicle, which is based on total luck.

In San Andreas, I was stuck for days on a tutorial mission that teaches you how to fly planes (I think it was after you leave San Fierro). I simply couldn't handle the keyboard+mouse controls for controlling a plane skillfully enough to pass that mission.

Today, I would have just quit the game, but I had much more free time in high school, so I kept banging my head against that wall over and over again. Eventually something just clicked for me, and I suddenly knew how to operate SA planes with mouse and keyboard.

18 hours ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

Has anyone played Medieval Dynasty? It's a crafting game in early access--I got it in December, and I love it so much. Building your own village, recruiting people, fertilizing and seeding farm land, cutting down trees, leveling up skills. So much fun! I love these kinds of games.

Sounds similar to Kenshi and Rimworld, I'll definitely check it out. 

The roadblock mission in GTA3 for me was when you got to the third island, one of the first missions you had to drive from that island all the way over to the other side of the map in a certain amount of time and I tried it probably 50 times before just giving up on the story.  On the other hand, I don't remember the Vice City mission at all and I did everything I could in that game including taxi and delivery missions.  Never got into the other GTAs, though that might change if they ever release GTA5 on the switch.

4 minutes ago, aceluby said:

if they ever release GTA5 on the switch.

Weird that they haven't. I'd think it'd be possible, even if you have to thin out the crowds a bit and make the city a little foggier. If nothing else it'd be a new audience for the online mode. 

I totally forgot about the Chinatown Wars DS game. It got good reviews but I never played it. I like the old top down games too. Someone should make a GTAII: online browser game. 

Just now, RumHam said:

Weird that they haven't. I'd think it'd be possible, even if you have to thin out the crowds a bit and make the city a little foggier. If nothing else it'd be a new audience for the online mode. 

I totally forgot about the Chinatown Wars DS game. It got good reviews but I never played it. I like the old top down games too. Someone should make a GTAII: online browser game. 

There's been rumors after Witcher 3 was announced that they are working on it.  Never anything solid, but I'd love to see it mobile.

It took a combination of myself, a step-brother and a few friends close to a year IIRC to beat GTA3. We’d get really far into the game and then hit a road block, walk away from the game for several weeks then start over. I don’t recall beating any other versions, but they came out when I largely stopped gaming.

I had to walk away from GTA5 like a year and a half ago because I couldn’t beat a mission that I believe was pretty deep into the game. You had to jump between the three characters and make crazy split second shots. In this second go around I’m using auto-aim because I got so used to it from RDR2, but it does at times cost you missions because you get stuck shooting at people behind walls and it won’t adjust to just aim for their heads.

Did the previous GTA games allow you to skip missions you couldn’t beat? I’ve only done it once so far and that’s because I actually beat the mission, but died just before it gave me the mission accomplished alert.

5 hours ago, RumHam said:

Sounds similar to Kenshi and Rimworld, I'll definitely check it out. 

I actually got it because after 300 hours of Kenshi, I needed a change of pace. It's not like Kenshi unfortunately, but it's a lot of fun. The interface needs some work (and OMG, the typos, I'm tempted to reach out to them and fix that up for free), but it's continually improving. I just got married, and my wife is pregnant ensuring that my dynasty will live on when I'm dead!

I'd say it is a lot like the Forest in how it plays--except more peaceful (and no sci-fi/supernatural stuff). 

6 minutes ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

I actually got it because after 300 hours of Kenshi, I needed a change of pace. It's not like Kenshi unfortunately, but it's a lot of fun. The interface needs some work (and OMG, the typos, I'm tempted to reach out to them and fix that up for free), but it's continually improving. I just got married, and my wife is pregnant ensuring that my dynasty will live on when I'm dead!

I'd say it is a lot like the Forest in how it plays--except more peaceful (and no sci-fi/supernatural stuff). 

Congrats!  Also, enjoy this pregnancy, the sleep you are getting, being able to watch whatever you want, and time to play games.  We just had our 2nd (2 under 2) and I can't remember the last time I slept through the night, watched a non-pixar movie, or play games for more than an hour.

Did the previous GTA games allow you to skip missions you couldn’t beat? I’ve only done it once so far and that’s because I actually beat the mission, but died just before it gave me the mission accomplished alert.

No, they don't. Pretty sure they don't allow difficulty settings either. Vice City was probably the hardest of the old GTA games, just had the most difficult missions overall. I own a still working Playstation 2 and the main reason I have it is to play 3, Vice City, and San Andreas. I'm sure the game works much better on console and one of the reasons I love the games is the controls are so intuitive. The graphics are quite dated, but I grew up on Atari 2600 and NES, so I was quite stunned when I first played these games. 

Haven't done Vice City lately, but played San Andreas back in March and it was actually pretty easy to beat. Only the chasing Tenpenny in the firetruck and chasing Hernandez are pretty hard. You can cheat on the Hernandez chase I found out though by stashing a motorcylce nearby, then changing on to it as the chase begins. Costs you a few seconds, but more than makes up for it, rather than being stuck in the stupid cart they want to make you race in.

Hardest GTA mission ever I think is in San Andreas, but it's not a required mission. Also an RC mission, one of the Zero missions, Supply Lines. You have to use a RC plane to drop bombs on multiple couriers throughout the city. And the plane has limited fuel. And I think one of the things that makes it such a difficult mission is it can take like 8 minutes....so let's say you fail near the end....well you are out 8 minutes plus the reload time and that's just on one failed attempt.

3 hours ago, aceluby said:

Congrats!  Also, enjoy this pregnancy, the sleep you are getting, being able to watch whatever you want, and time to play games.  We just had our 2nd (2 under 2) and I can't remember the last time I slept through the night, watched a non-pixar movie, or play games for more than an hour.

Haha--I meant in the game. In real life: My (now ex) wife was pregnant 16 years ago. Now I have a lumbering giant stumbling around the house. I can see how that was confusing by the way I wrote it. :)

1 hour ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

Haha--I meant in the game. In real life: My (now ex) wife was pregnant 16 years ago. Now I have a lumbering giant stumbling around the house. I can see how that was confusing by the way I wrote it. :)

That would be really weird if you referred to your kids as your dynasty. Especially given your politicial leanings.

Nooooo! My poor AT-AT! But at least it went down in glory, crushing the Rebels under its heels!

Yes, I continued my second Thrawn's Revenge playthrough yesterday as Thrawn. I'm still in a mad race against the clock, connecting my pockets of Imperial territory before the New Republic notices they can effortlessly kill Niles Ferrier. as he's completely isolated from any reinforcements. But... interestingly the shortest way to reach him was through Coruscant. Ha! Laying siege on Coruscant in my seventh week and conquering it on the next one! That's quite a charge I did there. Of course it was only possible by basically stripping all my planets of except the ones bordering the Republic of all ships and troops and hurl them at the enemy in one mad Zergrush. This nearly backfired when I had a New Republic Fleet attack Eriadu... but the random fleet intervention mechanic that I cursed so much in my last playthrough saved my butt! As I was holding the line with just a Victory and two Acclamators, a bunch of Star Destroyers jumped into the back of the New Republic and wrecked them, taking out all their capital ships for me.

Unfortunately Coruscant was where my trusty AT-AT around which I built all my advances was finally brought down. The Republic had snowspeeders and as they came rushing me at the landing point I noticed to my horror that my ragtag army doesn't have any AT-AAs. So instead I landed all my other light vehicles and had them frantically fire into air hoping to bring down those speeders. And they succeeded! Unfortunately at the same time my landing zone was rushed by a horrific amount of infantry and light tanks who caused a lot of carnage, destroyed all my vehicles and whittled down my AT-AT just as I was bringing in all that remained of my army... which was Stormtroopers. Lots and lots and lots of Stormtroopers! Who... were actually scarily effective at mopping up the remaining enemies in tandem with two artillery pieces and some scout troopers who revealed the senate building for a bombing run.

In fact that's one thing I noticed in Thrawn's Revenge: Infantry is... really damn good. They ramped up the difficulty of ground battles by making vehicles a lot more fragile and infantry in return profited from half of the troopers being armed with rocket launchers. This makes them really scary as heavy tanks take more damage from them as they receive and light vehicles get tricky to use, because if they can't manage to mow enemy infantry down in a single salvo and get caught in a protracted fight, they get utterly crushed. The tooltips even mention infantry as a hard counter against AT-ATs for crying out loud. Unfortunately the Republic became aware of my Zergrush and started to recruit lots of troops on their planets, making invasions a lot more of a meatgrinder.

I also stumbled across a custom mission involving seizing the Katana fleet. The idea is awesome, but the execution is... somewhat lacking... So you start at the edge of the map with three incredibly slow shuttles and the idea is to have them board as many Katana dreadnoughts as possible before the enemy fleet is defeated. Unfortunately the enemy fleet is in the center of the Katana fleet and has a size you can't just ignore, but is still flimsy as hell. So by the time they were destroyed I barely reached two ships, which... really isn't what I hoped for. I had hoped you could build ("restore") a limited amount Katana ships for cheap in the system, not that you get a one-shot chance of having a single-digit number of them. Didn't Thrawn take like 150 of them in the book? And here I am with... two... -.-

14 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

That would be really weird if you referred to your kids as your dynasty. Especially given your politicial leanings.

Honestly just thought he was joking.  But now I feel like a moran.  I blame it on my lack of sleep.

Behold! WEREWOLVES VS ROBOTS.

This is the New Thing.

2 hours ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

FINALLY

I thought Schreier's gag that he'd signed an executive order which stopped PC games displaying X-Box symbols when a PlayStation controller was plugged in was good as well.

Archived