Video Games- Game of the Year

Fez

I wonder how long before it's practical to just generate the voices as needed. It'll suck for voice actors I'm sure but it'd be nice to have a talking protagonist without things being so limited. 

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

Not going to lie, acing the RC chopper mission on Vice City on my third attempt this playthrough (when the last time I did it was about 16 years ago and took about twenty attempts) was very cool :)

Does VC let you skip missions you couldn't beat?

Also, is there a reason why it and SA weren't 4 and 5 respectively? I always chuckle that GTA 5 is really like the eight or ninth game in the main series. 

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

Rumour is that Bethesda have even dropped the voiced protagonist for Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI, blaming it for some design limitations they experienced in Fallout 4 (i.e. not being able to rewrite protagonist as late in the process as they wanted). Though I'd be quite surprised if they have done that, it's pretty much expected these days.

*sigh*

After having had a voiced protagonist like Geralt, going back to a silent protagonist felt...like a step backwards. I found myself *far* more emotionally engaged with Witcher 3 in part due to Geralt having an actual identifiable voice. 

Why they don't do what Westwood did with Blade Runner's multiple personality settings or what Bioware did with Dragon Age: Inquisition, I don't know. There's something nice about being able to actually hear the character I'm playing. 

Voice acting is a huge part of a game for me so I always hope developers feel the same.  Almost all my favorite games have a pc that talks.  Aloy, Lara Croft, Jesse Faden and Batman all talk.  Geralt talks.  It absolutely enriches the game. 

That Skyblivion vid looked pretty neat.  I guess it can flip between first and third person like Skyrim?  That's what it looked like though the vid was almost all first person. 

9 hours ago, RumHam said:

I wonder how long before it's practical to just generate the voices as needed. It'll suck for voice actors I'm sure but it'd be nice to have a talking protagonist without things being so limited. 

People have been doing some pretty fascinating stuff with AI these days. In fact, there was something about Skyrim the other day on RPS. Some of it is amazingly good, others not so good, but they're just trying to match up the original voices so have in many cases few lines to work with.

OTOH, when you have a huge body of dialog to work from...

11 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Does VC let you skip missions you couldn't beat?

Also, is there a reason why it and SA weren't 4 and 5 respectively? I always chuckle that GTA 5 is really like the eight or ninth game in the main series. 

Haha, no. This was before such hand-holding measures to appeal to players who won't git gud (/s).

I think GTA4 was the first game that let you skip missions, but you had to fail missions 3 times, and you could only do it a few times per entire game.

I believe over the naming thing that Rockstar felt that Vice City and San Andreas were using the same engine, were both developed very fast on the GTA3 base code and they had a huge amount of work done for them from the GTA3 period. I think in retrospect they would have given them numbers because the improvements in each game in shooting, driving and activities are quite immense, and arguably GTA4 is a step back from San Andreas in almost every area apart from graphics and city size (maaaaybe the cover system, but GTA4's cover system was only so-so effective; half the time it was better to just crouch normally behind things).

Apparently there was some serious discussion over not calling GTA5 either, because it was the same engine as 4 and the upgrades in gameplay were not immense, but they decided that the five-year wait and the upgrade in graphics made it worthwhile, plus there wasn't an immediately-obvious subtitle (since calling it Los Santos was slightly misleading and San Andreas was already taken; I suppose GTA: Three Arseholes Do Crime may have been a possibility).

The numbering thing is amusing. In terms of "big proper GTA games set in a city available on PC and console," GTA5 is actually GTA7 (because of Vice City and San Andreas). But in terms of "big proper GTA games set in a city" it's more like GTA9 because of Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories, which were only available on handheld and later got iffy PS3 ports. But they're still big, full-length GTA games with all the modcons of the time. And then some people mention Advance and Chinatown Wars, but the gameplay in those is different enough (and less advanced) to make them at least a bit more questionable.

5 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

Voice acting is a huge part of a game for me so I always hope developers feel the same.  Almost all my favorite games have a pc that talks.  Aloy, Lara Croft, Jesse Faden and Batman all talk.  Geralt talks.  It absolutely enriches the game. 

That Skyblivion vid looked pretty neat.  I guess it can flip between first and third person like Skyrim?  That's what it looked like though the vid was almost all first person. 

Yeah, if you look through the video you'll see quite a few third-person shots. It looks like that's something they've actually focused on, actual 3rd person mode in Oblivion looked comically inept (and Fallout 3 and Skyrim were only marginally better).

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Haha, no. This was before such hand-holding measures to appeal to players who won't git gud (/s).

I think GTA4 was the first game that let you skip missions, but you had to fail missions 3 times, and you could only do it a few times per entire game.

I don't think they had in the main game of GTA4 but introduced it in the DLCs (Episode from Liberty City). That was also when they introduced checkpoints in missions.

10 hours ago, Werthead said:

Yeah, if you look through the video you'll see quite a few third-person shots. It looks like that's something they've actually focused on, actual 3rd person mode in Oblivion looked comically inept (and Fallout 3 and Skyrim were only marginally better).

And horse-riding in third person in Skyrim wasn't much better either. 

A few mods have tried to address this, including by adding a more complex skeletal system to the player and NPCs, as well as more animations for idle scenes, running, moving, etc, but for whatever reason, it always came out looking a bit off - to me at least. 

19 minutes ago, Inkdaub said:

My problem with my horse in Skyrim was that it always took me just a little too long to realize a wolf was attacking.   So I walked a lot.

And the horse combat is famously a bit frustrating. 

1 hour ago, IlyaP said:

And the horse combat is famously a bit frustrating. 

Yeah.  I would finally find that wolf and then my horse would die as I tried to fight the thing off from horseback.  I would buy a horse from the dealer in the stable that would get killed by a wolf before I reached my destination.

Horseback combat is difficult to get right. The only two games where I actually enjoyed it are Mount and Blade (obviously) and Assassin's Creed: Origins. Still haven't played the last two AC games, I'm guessing that they copied what worked in Origins.

5 hours ago, Gorn said:

Horseback combat is difficult to get right. The only two games where I actually enjoyed it are Mount and Blade (obviously) and Assassin's Creed: Origins. Still haven't played the last two AC games, I'm guessing that they copied what worked in Origins.

Mount and Blade definitely has it good. Bannerlord even attempted to make it more realistic. 

It would be cool if we had a fantasy rpg with good horseback combat, where you could properly throw spells, or conjure a magic lance as you charge at an enemy.

16 hours ago, IlyaP said:

For those who don't have time to watch the longer Skyblivion clip recently released, here's a shorter one that shows off some gameplay and a quest from Oblivion. It's even using a tweaked version of the Sky UI mod, which is nice to see. 

It did occur to me they don't seem to be adjusting the soundtrack, so as absolutely immense as the graphical improvements are, you're still going to have 7 voice actors doing the entire game (apart from Sean Bean and Patrick Stewart, and Todd Howard's voice cameo that I think he likes to pretend never happened).

The very distinctive voice actor who plays Brother Jauffre who is also used for about 1/3 of all the other characters in the entire game is particularly noticeable (he's also the guy in this quest).

2 minutes ago, Poobah said:

Wow, looks just how my nostalgia remembers it.

Do yourself a favor and watch some actual footage of the N64 version. 

Though it's not even the graphics that stop me from being able to revisit this game, it's the controls. You can do the two controller thing mapped to one in emulation but I could never get it to feel right. 

23 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Do yourself a favor and watch some actual footage of the N64 version. 

Though it's not even the graphics that stop me from being able to revisit this game, it's the controls. You can do the two controller thing mapped to one in emulation but I could never get it to feel right. 

Oh I guess I should have put a laughing emoji or something in there. I know the leaked XBLA one you linked looks way better, it was just a comment about nostalgia goggles and how faithful a recreation/update this is. I vividly remember bringing home the N64 after saving and working for so long as a child and some of my friends over and how we all went apeshit over how "realistic" it looked :lol: 

Archived