Video Games- Game of the Year

Fez

That NCAA announcement is both awesome and also completely shitty, and despite my love for it I'm not going to support it. It's not giving money to players, just colleges. Fuck that noise.

I might actually try it at some point.

It's a very good trilogy, although some of its plot "borrowings" from Babylon 5 are a little eyes-narrowing-hmm at points (which it solves in the final game by, er, "borrowing" a lot from neo-BSG).

$20 for a remaster seems like the go-to price, and this is three games; so full-price seems alright to me.

If this was a more thorough remaster, sure, but they seem to have done not much more than a texture update and transferring ME1 into the ME2/3 engine and smoothing out the resulting inconsistencies. They've put some work into it but it's not exactly a ground-up rebuild of all three games.

Someone said that on the bridge screen shot it looks like they've completely replaced the Mako and environmental models though; if they've done that for the entire game, that's a much more fundamental rebuild. I'm sceptical of that with talk of them "upscaling" the cut scenes, a move more typical of a cheapskate, low-effort remaster. Re-record the cutscenes, it makes them so much better (Halo 2 completely re-doing all of its CG cut scenes was magnificent, but it made absolutely no sense when they didn't do that for any of the other games in the series, leaving Halo 3 looking much crappier than Halo 2).

Oh, apparently the Pinnacle Station DLC for ME 1 is not being included for technical reasons, which is weird (given it's where Cerberus shows up).

3 hours ago, IlyaP said:

With that said: you mentioned that the revamp to ME1 will be more like ME2/3. Having only experienced a bit of ME2 and none of ME3, what sort of changes can I expect around the UIX and gameplay? Aside from that annoying car being fixed in the first game, which constantly left me feeling like I was driving on black ice (an experience I hope none of you ever have to experience - it's *awful*). 

Also, I saw some mention of something regarding the female Shepherd model in ME3 vs her...ME2 model? What's that about? 

Sorry for the 1,001 questions - you seem to know your way around this series far better than I do. 

There's a "default Shepard" model for both the male and female versions of the character, but the general feeling is that the female Shepard model in ME1 and 2 wasn't very inspired. They revamped her look for ME3 and came up with a much more dynamic-looking character, which fans much preferred but it was a problem because it's not actually possible to adjust the ME1/2 character to look like the ME3 one. PC mods took care of that but on console it's been a problem ever since: you can play the same MaleShep all the way through the trilogy but not the same FemShep. Now you can.

As for the UI, I suspect that ME1 will now be made much more like ME2/3 in terms of shooting, streamlined inventory, minimised RPG elements in general etc.

2 hours ago, KalbearAnon said:

That NCAA announcement is both awesome and also completely shitty, and despite my love for it I'm not going to support it. It's not giving money to players, just colleges. Fuck that noise.

I'm like a child wandering into the middle of the movie by which I mean I didn't bother to look upthread, but that's SOP for NCAA AFAIK.

5 hours ago, Rhom said:

Not to get too complicated, but there's also the pending Name/Image/Likeness legislation that will pass sooner rather than later.  How you sort all that out amongst the many players, I have no idea; but there will likely be some monetary compensation coming eventually.

I'll assume there will be loopholes until I see evidence otherwise. But if they can make it so the players get a significant cut, I'll buy it. Not before that though. 

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

As for the UI, I suspect that ME1 will now be made much more like ME2/3 in terms of shooting, streamlined inventory, minimised RPG elements in general etc.

*sigh*

Something tells me this isn't going to be the kind of game then, that speaks to me. I had trouble enough with the frustrating UI in ME1, and actively did not like what I encountered in ME2. And a bad interface really can make a huge difference in one's enjoyment of a game. 

40 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Of all the ways reality has become more like an Onion article at least I can laugh at this one without feeling too bad. Christ. 

I was never able to finish ME1 because I found it too clunky, but was quite happy to watch my brother play the trilogy back in the day. I think I’ll pick this up if they’ve made the first game less irritating, after release once everyone else has been able to judge it for me. :)

I got the Collector's Edition for StarCraft when it was released in 1998. It was £5 more expensive than the standard edition (£35 versus £30) and came with a T-shirt (still wearable, just) and keychain (still in use). I only got it because they were sold out of the normal edition. Not bad.

I also got the Collector's Edition of Homeworld Remastered complete with art book, companion book, heavy-duty keychain (that's stayed in the box) and light-up 3D model of the Pride of Hiigara starship. That was expensive but definitely worth it.

My shelf informs me that I also got the Collector's Edition of Oblivion, complete with making-of documentary (never watched), Imperial Coin (which I don't think I've ever looked at until right this second; it's a coin), massive wall map (not mounted) and lore book on the history of the Empire (which I have read a few times). I suspect I got this for the same reason as StarCraft, the standard edition was not available at the time and the price difference was not great.

One thing I have to say about Rockstar is how cool the "normal edition" of GTA: San Andreas was. It came with a companion book and massive wall map in the base PC hard copy of the game. And oddly Jade Empire PC came in a steelbox by default (there was no non-steelbox option, and this was way before steelboxes were even really common).

22 minutes ago, Werthead said:

And oddly Jade Empire PC came in a steelbox by default (there was no non-steelbox option, and this was way before steelboxes were even really common).

I got that one too, I remember it had a really nice art-book.

Otherwise I think that the only Collectors Edition I ever bough was for Shogun 2 Total War, which I bough for about $20 a year after it was released.

Oh yeah, I got the Collector's Edition of Medieval II: Total War with massive foldout map, a miniature soldier, and CD soundtrack, in a pretty stonking huge box. That was pretty smart.

I have the vanilla WoW CE box, which I carefully opened only once to get to the install discs. Put it back in its plastic wrap and its sat on my shelf fifteen years. I wonder if any value it had spiked at the WoW Classic release. I expect not. It was nice to have one person notice and salute my Mini Diablo pet when I installed Classic and played a week or two, hoping in vain simply to find a Wailing Caverns group for the memories. 

I have a handful of CE's for various games over the years.  I didn't get the original WoW CE, but I did have the Burning Crusade CE.

Have the Star Wars Galaxies CE.  Still have that one sitting here at my office actually.  Came with a nice Brady Games strategy guide... :lol:  And of course became completely irrelevant basically as soon as the game started getting patches.  (That's another thing I used to get all the time at release of games.  Guess they aren't really a thing anymore, huh?  Always loved the art in there.)  Had the Star Wars: TOR CE.  That came with a cool statue of Darth Malgus.  Most recently, I do have a pretty huge Cloud Strife and motorcycle that I got with the FFVII Remake.  

I'm still tempted on the Mass Effect.  Having a life size N7 helmet on my shelf would be cool.

My wife and I are in the process of sorting out our next home project.  Our basement is finished and has a kitchenette.  The big TV is sitting on a media stand I bought at Target in 2008 with shelves of the same make on either side.  We want to get an actual bar installed and a built in shelving/media center for the TV and such.  I just won the "discussion" that I will be allowed to decorate said shelves.  My plan is to have all my old consoles sitting on there.  NES/SNES on one shelf.  PS1/PS2 on another.  Genesis/Dreamcast.  Etc.  Sprinkling in things like the N7 helmet and Cloud would look good to my geek sensibility... but she will hate it.  :lol:

I have a few Collector's editions, though not a lot of recent ones. Generally what I go for is art books, if I can get a really nice quality book of game/concept art that'd probably end up retailing £20-30 for anyway plus whatever extra junk they throw in and it doesn't cost toooo much more than the base game then I'm down, oh and soundtracks, I do like a soundtrack. Lately it seems that these things tend towards being hugely expensive and containing dumb crap like that helmet the Mass Effect one is coming with.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Oh yeah, I got the Collector's Edition of Medieval II: Total War with massive foldout map, a miniature soldier, and CD soundtrack, in a pretty stonking huge box. That was pretty smart.

I’ve got bits and pieces of that one too, some of ehich fell apart or got lost.

I’ve a few mmorpg collectors editions (Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars Old Republic, Age of Conan, elder Scrolls Online, Final Fantssy xiv online, Star Trek Online)

God knows why.

23 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

I’ve got bits and pieces of that one too, some of ehich fell apart or got lost.

I’ve a few mmorpg collectors editions (Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars Old Republic, Age of Conan, elder Scrolls Online, Final Fantssy xiv online, Star Trek Online)

God knows why.

I mean... you had all the WoW Killers!  :lol: 

Archived