Affection for the Targaryens and their dragons

Aline de Gavrillac

Strong affection for the Targaryens and their dragons have not wavered.  I quote for you a long but very delightful passage from A Clash of Kings.  Enjoy :)

It was evenfall and Dany was feeding her dragons when Irri stepped through the silken curtains to tell her that Ser Jorah had returned from the docks … and not alone.  “Send him in, with whomever he has brought,” she said, curious.

When they entered, she was seated on a mound of cushions, her dragons all about her.  The man he brought with him wore a cloak of green and yellow feathers and had skin as black as polished jet.  “Your Grace,” the knight said, “I bring you Quhuru Mo, captain of the Cinnamon Wind out of Tall Trees Town.”

The black man knelt.  “I am greatly honored, my queen,” he said; not in the tongue of the Summer Isles, which Dany did not know, but in the liquid Valyrian of the Nine Free Cities.

“The honor is mine, Quhuru Mo,” said Dany in the same language.  “Have you come from the Summer Isles?”

“This is so, Your Grace, but before, not half a year past, we called at Oldtown.  From where I bring you a wondrous gift.”

“A gift?”

“A gift of news.  Dragonmother, Stormborn, I tell you true, Robert Baratheon is dead.”

Outside her walls, dusk was settling over Qarth, but a sun had risen in Dany’s heart.  “Dead?” she repeated.  In her lap, black Drogon hissed, and pale smoke rose before her face like a veil.  “You are certain?  The Usurper is dead?”

“So it is said in Oldtown, and Dorne, and Lys, and all the other ports where we have called.”

He sent me poisoned wine, yet I live and he is gone.  “What was the manner of his death?” On her shoulder, pale Viserion flapped wings the color of cream, stirring the air.

“Torn by a monstrous boar whilst hunting in his kingswood, or so I heard in Oldtown.  Others say his queen betrayed him, or his brother, or Lord Stark who was his Hand.  Yet all the tales agree in this: King Robert is dead and in his grave.”

Dany had never looked upon the Usurper’s face, yet seldom a day had passed when she had not thought of him.  His great shadow had lain across her since the hour of her birth, when she forth amidst blood and storm into a world where she no longer had a place.  And now this ebony stranger had lifted that shadow.

“The boy sits the Iron Throne now,” Ser Jorah said.

“King Joffrey reigns,” Quhuru Mo agreed, “but the Lannisters rule.  Robert’s brothers have fled King’s Landing.  The talk is, they mean to claim the crown.  And the Hand has fallen, Lord Stark who was King Robert’s friend.  He has been seized for treason.”

“Ned Stark a traitor?” Ser Jorah snorted.  “Not bloody likely.  The Long Summer will come again before that one would besmirch his precious honor.”

“What honor could he have?” Dany said.  “He was a traitor to his true king, as were the Lannisters.”  It pleased her to hear that the Usurper’s dogs were fighting amongst themselves, though she was unsurprised.  The same thing happened when her Drogo died, and his great khalasar tore itself to pieces.  “My brother is dead as well, Viserys who was the true king,” she told the Summer Islander.  “Khal Drogo my lord husband killed him with a crown of molten gold.”  Would her brother have been any wiser, had he known that the vengeance he had prayed for was so close at hand?

“Then I grieve for you, Dragonmother, and for bleeding Westeros, bereft of its rightful king.”

Beneath Dany’s gentle fingers, green Rhaegal stared at the stranger with eyes of molten gold.  When his mouth opened, his teeth gleamed like black needles.  “When does your ship return to Westeros, Captain?”

“Not for a year or more, I fear.  From here the Cinnamon Wind sails east, to make the trader’s circle round the Jade Sea.”

“I see,” said Dany, disappointed.  “I wish you fair winds and good trading, then.  You have brought me a precious gift.”

“I have been amply repaid, great queen.”

She puzzled at that.  “How so?”

His eyes gleamed.  ‘I have seen dragons.”

Dany laughed.  “And will see more of them one day, I hope.  Come to me in King’s Landing when I am on my father’s throne, and you shall have a great reward.”

The Summer Islander promised he would do so, kissed her lightly on the fingers as he took his leave.  Jhiqui showed him out, while Ser Jorah Mormont remained.

The Archon of Tyrosh was there to witness the wedding between Princess Daenerys Targaryen and Khal Drogo.  The Sealord of Braavos brokered a wedding engagement between King Viserys III and Princess Arianne Martell.  No less than an Archmaester of the Citadel is traveling to Meereen to advise the young Targaryen.  I am hopeful that the people's affection will turn into goodwill.  I do believe that the majority of people in the west and east will support the restoration of House Targaryen under Dany's leadership. 

Can you think of any more examples of the people expressing affection for the Targaryens?

11 hours ago, Aline de Gavrillac said:

Can you think of any more examples of the people expressing affection for the Targaryens?

One of Jaime's chapters from a Feast for Crows has them inside Castle Darry.  They bribed a servant to show them the Darry's hidden tapestries.  All were portraits of every Targaryen king to have ruled Westeros. 

People have a fondness for royalty.  As we do here in the UK.  The Targs ruled for near 300 years.  That's a very long time.  Every adult remembers the reign of Aerys and the older folk even farther back.  They have experienced the Targaryen rule for themselves.  It's not some lines from a dusty scroll or a maester's tale.  There is something very solid about experience that lines on pages simply cannot compare to.  Folks consider House Targaryen as their rulers. 

14 hours ago, Aline de Gavrillac said:

Strong affection for the Targaryens and their dragons have not wavered.  I quote for you a long but very delightful passage from A Clash of Kings.  Enjoy :)

The Archon of Tyrosh was there to witness the wedding between Princess Daenerys Targaryen and Khal Drogo.  The Sealord of Braavos brokered a wedding engagement between King Viserys III and Princess Arianne Martell.  No less than an Archmaester of the Citadel is traveling to Meereen to advise the young Targaryen.  I am hopeful that the people's affection will turn into goodwill.  I do believe that the majority of people in the west and east will support the restoration of House Targaryen under Dany's leadership. 

All was not as it seemed at Dany's wedding.  Dany (if indeed she was the last Targaryen princess) was being wed to a Dothraki Horselord and Illyrio doubted that she would survive her time on the Dothraki sea.  Viserys was held in barely concealed contempt by Illryio who was giving him an army, that could never conquor Westeros and perhaps would never agree to cross the Narrow Sea.  The entire wedding shower occurred under a mural depicting the Doom of Valyria.

In the meantime Illyrio and Varys were preparing Aegon and the Golden Company to be the ones to truly conqueor and rule Westeros.

16 hours ago, Aline de Gavrillac said:

The Sealord is the most important person in Braavos.  He is on their side.  Well, there is no more "their" but on Dany's side.  Proven so if those eggs were the same ones that were stolen long ago and he made sure to give them to Daenerys. 

1 hour ago, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

The Sealord is the most important person in Braavos.  He is on their side.  Well, there is no more "their" but on Dany's side.  Proven so if those eggs were the same ones that were stolen long ago and he made sure to give them to Daenerys. 

The Sealord that gave "them" shelter was apparently run out of town.  And it was Illyrio who gifted Dany her eggs not the Sealord.

You'd think if Quhuru Mo were really rooting for Daenerys to return to Westeros as the "rightful queen," Sam would have heard something about that during his long voyage on the Cinnamon Wind.

And they have a Targaryen on their ship and don't seem to care much? While they do pay respect to Aemon's death, it's not because he was a "dragon" but because he was old. Quhuru wants to take Aemon's chain as payment. Then he stuffs his dead body in a cask. And Xhondo's stories about Daenerys happen off screen. 

Odd.

21 hours ago, Aline de Gavrillac said:

The Targaryens have the power of legacy on their side.  No other family can compare to their status.  It takes many stags to make one golden dragon.  The calendar of Westeros is based on the time of the Targaryen's arrival.  The dragons are not only symbols of power but the majesty of House Targaryen.  

Aegon of the Dunk and Egg stories felt the need for dragons in order to bring the high lords to heel and better the lives of the small folk.  A strong central power which keeps a reign on the high lords benefit the small folk.  The people are still feeling the misery brought on by the conflict between Lannister and Stark.  Cersei, Jon Snow, Stannis, Arya, and Bran are not ready to move on.  Lingering bad feelings as well as the desire for revenge will continue to create misery for the small folk.  Aegon or fake Aegon, depending on what you believe, will have good intentions at first but the Martells are the wrong people to get mixed up with.  He will become no better than the Lannisters and the Starks.  

21 hours ago, U. B. Cool said:

People have a fondness for royalty.  As we do here in the UK.  The Targs ruled for near 300 years.  That's a very long time.  Every adult remembers the reign of Aerys and the older folk even farther back.  They have experienced the Targaryen rule for themselves.  It's not some lines from a dusty scroll or a maester's tale.  There is something very solid about experience that lines on pages simply cannot compare to.  Folks consider House Targaryen as their rulers. 

I agree with this.  They are also the only family left of the forty which ruled Valyria, making them royalty in the east too.  

On 12/21/2020 at 11:07 AM, U. B. Cool said:

That fondness is also present for the Targaryens.  Quhuru went out of his way to deliver the good news to Dany and see her dragons in person.  

3 hours ago, H Wadsey Longfellow said:

Their physical appearance is synonymous with being regal.  Some of it is yearning for the good old days but there is substance in that affection. 

Racism is bad, if you haven't heard 

I can understand why Daenerys worshippers do that most of the time. Blame George for giving them godlike status. Too subtle that many didn't get the hint. They are humans. They are mortal. Simply please don't rant and harp about how x and y are not worthy of Dany or her dragons coz they only have 1/64th Valyrian blood or some BS 

12 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Racism is bad, if you haven't heard 

I can understand why Daenerys worshippers do that most of the time. Blame George for giving them godlike status. Too subtle that many didn't get the hint. They are humans. They are mortal. Simply please don't rant and harp about how x and y are not worthy of Dany or her dragons coz they only have 1/64th Valyrian blood or some BS 

Nah. Dany is a hot chick with dragons and therefore can do no wrong. You're a hater if you disagree with this.

There is some good to be said of my father, surely?"

"There is, Your Grace. Of him, and those who came before him. Your grandfather Jaehaerys and his brother, their father Aegon, your mother . . . and Rhaegar. Him most of all."

"I wish I could have known him." Her voice was wistful.

"I wish he could have known you," the old knight said.

On 12/20/2020 at 9:03 PM, Aline de Gavrillac said:

The affection for the Targaryens also exists outside of the pages of the books.  World of Ice and Fire, Dunk and Egg, Fire and Blood. All of those extra books are primarily about the Targaryens.  A Song of Ice and Fire are chapters and parts of their great history as well their (Dany's) future. 

11 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

Nah. Dany is a hot chick with dragons and therefore can do no wrong. You're a hater if you disagree with this.

The day I care about what they think of my opinion about Dany or anyone else is the day.... I'll renounce Home Alone and Die Hard as the best Xmas Movies 

PS

Grinch too

2 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

The day I care about what they think of my opinion about Dany or anyone else is the day.... I'll renounce Home Alone and Die Hard as the best Xmas Movies

Hey, don't forget Batman Returns, somehow still a Christman movie. It's peak Burton and peak Walken

5 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Hey, don't forget Batman Returns, somehow still a Christman movie. It's peak Burton and peak Walken

Or better, I'll modify my original statement from renouncing the aforementioned to accepting....Nutcracker in 3D as one 

Archived