Most people believe Ned Stark was guilty of treason

Bowen 747

A stone came sailing out of the crowd.  Arya cried as she saw her father hit.  The gold cloaks kept him from falling.  Blood ran down his face from a deep gash across his forehead.  More stones followed.

That quote came from the first volume.  I have sympathy for Ned. I even like Ned.  This sad scene happened at Ned's public trial.  I do not think there will be much support for any Stark, full or half, south of The Neck.  Most people believe in the charges against him.  Execution is the appropriate punishment for treason.  His son's response was not appropriate.  We can argue that the Lannister reaction to Tyrion's abduction was also inappropriate.  The Lannisters won round one against the Starks.  @James West is on track to be right in his wolves opinion piece.  The Starks will be back for round 2 and they will be brutal like the savages they are.  But put all of that to the side for now.  On the question of how the public will perceive the Starks in the south, it will be negative.  I do not think any of the Starks, Jon included, will ever sit on the Iron Throne unless the whole of Westeros turns into one Zombieland of Icemen. 

Westeros will probably be a very different place once all the wars including the war against the others are finished. I still believe that despite how bad the ending to the show was, Bran being king was one of the things GRRM told D&D. Wether or not he changes Bran being king due to the reaction to it is up for debate.

2 hours ago, Bowen 747 said:

Most people believe in the charges against him. 

They do not tho. You should not let mob rule fool you. It's a execution, people fall for that.

These are the same people who got mass raped by Tywin and then not a year later went to his daughter wedding dressed like it was sunday church.

But put all of that to the side for now.  On the question of how the public will perceive the Starks in the south, it will be negative.

The south is not one region. What people think of the Starks in the Vale, it's not the same the think in the Riverlands or the Westernlands. And even in King's Landing, what they "thought" during execution day and what they believed a month later may differ a lot

Among the nobility tho, you will be hard pressed to find a single person who bought into those claims and didn't see it as Lannisters clearing their way to power.

His son's response was not appropriate.

Given that he was executed under bogus claims forced under duress...

I do not think any of the Starks, Jon included, will ever sit on the Iron Throne unless the whole of Westeros turns into one Zombieland of Icemen. 

Martin has already said that Bran the Broken is a sure thing.

6 hours ago, Muffin King said:

Where did he say this? Could you provide a link?

That would be an utterly insane thing to confirm happening at the end of Book 5

Fire cannot kill a dragon.

Spoiler

(talking about the 2013 meeting with D&D) It wasn’t easy for me. I didn’t want to give away my books. It’s not easy to talk about the end of my books. Every character has a different end. I told them who would be on the Iron Throne, and I told them some big twists like Hodor and “hold the door,” and Stannis’s decision to burn his daughter. We didn’t get to everybody by any means. Especially the minor characters, who may have very different endings.

8 hours ago, SeanF said:

If execution is an appropriate punishment for treason, then Cersei, Jaime, Tywin, Tyrion, Varys, Littlefinger, Janos Slynt should all have been sent to the block.

Tyrion was on his way to the execution block for assassinating a king.  Janos was not guilty of treason.  He's the only one on this list who should not be executed. Tywin betrayed his king during the rebellion.

47 minutes ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

Janos was not guilty of treason.

Insubordination is treason too though

48 minutes ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

He's the only one on this list who should not be executed.

Hahahahahahahaha

Wait you serious?

Allow me to laugh harder

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

48 minutes ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

Tywin betrayed his king during the rebellion.

I think it's less about the fact that he betrayed his King as Aerys broke fealty first, but more the how, and the things he did after betraying him.

2 hours ago, frenin said:

Fire cannot kill a dragon.

Hide contents

(talking about the 2013 meeting with D&D) It wasn’t easy for me. I didn’t want to give away my books. It’s not easy to talk about the end of my books. Every character has a different end. I told them who would be on the Iron Throne, and I told them some big twists like Hodor and “hold the door,” and Stannis’s decision to burn his daughter. We didn’t get to everybody by any means. Especially the minor characters, who may have very different endings.

That quote means nothing.  D&D went their own way as they had been doing since the second season. 

1 minute ago, Barbrey Dustin said:

That quote means nothing.  D&D went their own way as they had been doing since the second season. 

Just as they did with Stannis...

He told them who was going to sit at the Throne at the end. Bran the Broken is crowned at the end. Bran'sactor states that the decision came from Martin.

I don't know why keep the denial at this point.

12 hours ago, Bowen 747 said:

That quote came from the first volume.  I have sympathy for Ned. I even like Ned.  This sad scene happened at Ned's public trial.  I do not think there will be much support for any Stark, full or half, south of The Neck.  Most people believe in the charges against him.  Execution is the appropriate punishment for treason.  His son's response was not appropriate.  We can argue that the Lannister reaction to Tyrion's abduction was also inappropriate.  The Lannisters won round one against the Starks.  @James West is on track to be right in his wolves opinion piece.  The Starks will be back for round 2 and they will be brutal like the savages they are.  But put all of that to the side for now.  On the question of how the public will perceive the Starks in the south, it will be negative.  I do not think any of the Starks, Jon included, will ever sit on the Iron Throne unless the whole of Westeros turns into one Zombieland of Icemen. 

The Starks are almost a default to become kings of the north again but not of the whole of Westeros.  I suppose they could always skin change and enslave the minds of the people and take the lands that way.  It would be sickening because that means they are more evil a family than the Ghiscari slave masters. 

Just now, frenin said:

Just as they did with Stannis...

He told them who was going to sit at the Throne at the end. Bran the Broken is crowned at the end. Bran'sactor states that the decision came from Martin.

I don't know why keep the denial at this point.

HBO went its own way.  That's why the story going forward from season 2 was crap. 

5 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Insubordination is treason too though

Hahahahahahahaha

Wait you serious?

Allow me to laugh harder

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I think it's less about the fact that he betrayed his King as Aerys broke fealty first, but more the how, and the things he did after betraying him.

I think it's fair to say that Janos was loyal to his king, even tough he was a dirtbag about it.  Wasn't he sent to the wall over the death of Barra though? Tyrion got rid of him because he wanted his own man in charge of the goldcloaks and was quite dismayed that Slynt was comfortable with killing innocent children iirc.  

I don't recall Slynt ever taking his vows.  I imagine that it was done off screen and we can accept that it was done properly though.  if that's the case he was sworn to obey his Lord Commander.  I don't see how it can be argued that Jon was wrong/ hasty/ murderous, ect. when he sentenced and executed him for disobeying and then publicly demeaning and insulting Jon. 

So Maybe Slynt shouldn't have been at the Wall in the first place, but once there, he should have been doing what he was told.  The Wall is full of people who don't necessarily DESERVE to be there, but they've said their vows and are held to them all the same. 

17 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

The High Sparrow thinks he shouldn't have been executed.

No, the High Sparrow was pissed that he was executed on a holy place.

21 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Ned Stark did commit treason. He tried to deny Robert's son his rightful throne.  Yeah I know we readers know he is a bastard but when you are only evidence is hair color you got a pretty weak case. 

He also ignored Robert's final orders, falsifying the Kings will and testament. Also bribed the Gold Cloaks to arrest the Royal family.

He had a good cause for his treason, but he still committed treason.

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

Ned Stark did commit treason. He tried to deny Robert's son his rightful throne.  Yeah I know we readers know he is a bastard but when you are only evidence is hair color you got a pretty weak case. 

Your own comment undercuts your argument. Joffrey was a bastard born of incest, which makes Cersei and Jaime guilty of treason and Joffrey's claim a lie. If Joffrey isn't Robert's son, than he isn't Robert's heir, and Ned's actions in trying to prevent Joffrey sitting a throne he doesn't legally own are not treason.

Ned Stark did commit treason.

He did not.

He tried to deny Robert's son his rightful throne.  Yeah I know we readers know he is a bastard

Then he didn't commit treason.

but when you are only evidence is hair color you got a pretty weak case. 

It would be if the Baratheons came out in  different forms, shapes and color hairs, like Ned's kids. They all comeout the same tho. It seems a pretty solid case, in fact Brienne only needs to look to Gendry once to become convinced.

In a world that believes that the Throne has powers and that taming a dragon means that you're trueborn Targ, no matter if you're a bastard. Seems about right.

Archived