Dany should have punished the rapists

Alyn Oakenfist

It seems kind of silly to me to compare how the allies administered justice at Nuremburg to a justice in a medieval society.  It is not even comparable.  Crimes against humanity didn't exist during the middle ages and they certainly don't exist in the fictionalized world of Westeros.

Oh and if anyone thinks that if Stannis had sacked Kings Landing that he would have gelded all soldiers who committed rape during the sack is kidding themselves.  Same goes for Randyl Tarly as well.

3 hours ago, El Guapo said:

It seems kind of silly to me to compare how the allies administered justice at Nuremburg to a justice in a medieval society.  It is not even comparable.  Crimes against humanity didn't exist during the middle ages and they certainly don't exist in the fictionalized world of Westeros.

Oh and if anyone thinks that if Stannis had sacked Kings Landing that he would have gelded all soldiers who committed rape during the sack is kidding themselves.  Same goes for Randyl Tarly as well.

Does it really matter? You could argue that Dany stan's belief that she will be permanently ending slavery all over the world during this "period" is anachronistic. The first trial for war crimes dates back to the 1470's by the way. But it's funny to me that if Dany had come up with the concept war crimes, we'd never heard the end of it. No Dany fan would complain that this was anachronistic, they'd be like she is a goddess a holy figure a masterpiece created by nature wank wank wank need a tissue. 

9 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

Does it really matter? You could argue that Dany stan's belief that she will be permanently ending slavery all over the world during this "period" is anachronistic. The first trial for war crimes dates back to the 1470's by the way. But it's funny to me that if Dany had come up with the concept war crimes, we'd never heard the end of it. No Dany fan would complain that this was anachronistic, they'd be like she is a goddess a holy figure a masterpiece created by nature wank wank wank need a tissue. 

I think that there is a concept of war crimes in this world (they’d probably call them “crimes against the gods”).  But, their notions of what constitutes a war crime, and their trial procedures, would be very different to those of modern Europe. Killing prisoners who had been promised their lives, or sacking a town that peacefully surrendered would likely be seen as crimes, along with breach of guest right.  Sacking a town that refused quarter, or pillaging the small folk  would not be.  And to an extent, a war crime is in the eye of the beholder.  What a Riverlands peasant thinks of Tywin Lannister will be very different to what his own people think of him, and likewise the view that a Westerlands peasant would have of Robb Stark.

Justice would be handed down by the victors, on the basis of an eye for an eye, and it’s based on collective, not individual, guilt (eg every male Frey is held responsible for the Red Wedding). It would not occur to anyone that it be administered by impartial courts.  Laws are more like codes of honour, which any adult with a weapon is expected to enforce.

7 hours ago, El Guapo said:

That's my view of it as well. ASOIAF would not be any good if the world portrayed was just our modern world with every moral judgement being the same only set in a quasi-medieval society. The whole point of it is that the rules are those that are likely to have governed a society like that, and resemble medieval societies and not the modern ones.

Not to mention the fact that conquering soldiers raping women in local populations was fairly typical even into the 20th century. Russians, for example, did it in massive numbers during WW2 and were never brought to justice.

5 hours ago, Monster_Under_the_Bed said:

That's my view of it as well. ASOIAF would not be any good if the world portrayed was just our modern world with every moral judgement being the same only set in a quasi-medieval society. The whole point of it is that the rules are those that are likely to have governed a society like that, and resemble medieval societies and not the modern ones.

Not to mention the fact that conquering soldiers raping women in local populations was fairly typical even into the 20th century. Russians, for example, did it in massive numbers during WW2 and were never brought to justice.

I think there has to be enough in common with our own world for us to relate to the world of the books.  Rape is certainly considered abhorrent to many people in this world, but virtually every commander would consider it inevitable, if a city was taken by storm, and some specifically command it, like Tywin and Kevan Lannister, as a terror tactic.

Archived