I really hope we never meet Tysha

Canon Claude

Just saying it now, I don’t care how unpopular of an idea that is. Tysha belongs to a past that Tyrion will never get back, nor should he get back. All its power would be taken away if Tyrion miraculously finds her, or if she’s revealed to be a character we’ve heard about or met already. It would be too contrived to bring Tysha back in any form, and it would also undermine the scope which GRRM is clearly going for; his world is vast, and people’s personal stories get lost in the confusion happening all around them.

1 hour ago, Canon Claude said:

and it would also undermine the scope which GRRM is clearly going for; his world is vast, and people’s personal stories get lost in the confusion happening all around them.

Tell that to dumb and dumber. They decided to keep characters with exhausted character arks around. All for fan service.

34 minutes ago, The Young Maester said:

Tell that to dumb and dumber. They decided to keep characters with exhausted character arks around. All for fan service.

Speak not to me of those traitors and the abomination which they wrought from toil which was not their own!

I don't know why, but I think that if anyone runs into Tysha, it'll be Jaime, not Tyrion. It's one of those gut instinct predictions that doesn't have any evidence backing it up, but she does seem to be a source of guilt for him (I don't think he would have told Tyrion the truth about Tysha at the worst possible time if that wasn't the case) so that could be a hugely important development for him as a character.

6 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I don't know why, but I think that if anyone runs into Tysha, it'll be Jaime, not Tyrion. It's one of those gut instinct predictions that doesn't have any evidence backing it up, but she does seem to be a source of guilt for him (I don't think he would have told Tyrion the truth about Tysha at the worst possible time if that wasn't the case) so that could be a hugely important development for him as a character.

I'm of a similar mind.

Except I think it will be Arya. Or maybe someone in Team Daenerys not named Tyrion; likely Daenerys herself. I think Tysha is either Braavos, living the high life of a courtesan, or in Lys.

17 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

Just saying it now, I don’t care how unpopular of an idea that is. Tysha belongs to a past that Tyrion will never get back, nor should he get back. All its power would be taken away if Tyrion miraculously finds her, or if she’s revealed to be a character we’ve heard about or met already. It would be too contrived to bring Tysha back in any form, and it would also undermine the scope which GRRM is clearly going for; his world is vast, and people’s personal stories get lost in the confusion happening all around them.

We already have met her. And Tyrion will too...

Two of the ships that had been here yesterday were gone, Cat saw, but five new ones had docked; a small carrack called the Brazen Monkey, a huge Ibbenese whaler that reeked of tar and blood and whale oil, two battered cogs from Pentos, and a lean green galley up from Old Volantis.

Cat of the Canals, Feast 34

To be brazen is to be bold and without shame. To brazen is to endure an embarrassing or difficult situation by behaving with apparent confidence and lack of shame. And this Brazen Monkey is small. Remind you of anyone? A “twisted little monkey demon,” perhaps? 

The sight of him made the old woman smile. “A dwarf,” she purred, in a voice as sinister as it was soft. She spoke the Common Tongue with only a trace of accent. “Volantis has been overrun with dwarfs of late, it seems. Does this one do tricks?”

Yes, Tyrion wanted to say. Give me a crossbow, and I’ll show you my favorite.

“No,” Ser Jorah answered.

“A pity. I once had a monkey who could perform all sorts of clever tricks. Your dwarf reminds me of him.”

Tyrion VII, Dance 27

The little Brazen Monkey proved to be from Gulltown, with a Westerosi crew who were glad to talk to someone in the Common Tongue. ... "Where's a man to go to find a bit of sport?"

So, the little Brazen Monkey from Westeros is looking for a whore, wherever whores go, and Arya directs him to the Sailor’s Wife and pretty little Lanna...

"The best whores are at the Happy Port, down by where the mummers' Ship is moored." She pointed. ... "Ask for Merry. Meralyn is her true name, but everyone calls her Merry, and she is." Merry bought a dozen oysters every time Cat came by the brothel and shared them with her girls. She had a good heart, everyone agreed. ...

Her girls were nice as well; Blushing Bethany and the Sailor's Wife, one-eyed Yna who could tell your fortune from a drop of blood, pretty little Lanna, even Assadora, the Ibbenese woman with the mustache. They might not be beautiful, but they were kind to her. "The Happy Port is where all the porters go," Cat assured the men of the Brazen Monkey. "‘The boys unload the ships,' Merry says, ‘and my girls unload the lads who sail them.'"

Recall that the Sailor’s Wife “only beds the ones who marry her.” And here we learn a bit about Lanna...

Yna was there too, braiding Lanna's fine long golden hair. Another stupid love song. Lanna was always begging the singer to play her stupid love songs. She was the youngest of the whores, only ten-and-four. Merry asked three times as much for her as for any of the other girls, Cat knew.

That’s a lot of information about a bit character, no? Now, here’s the kicker...

· MERALYN, called MERRY, proprietor of the Happy Port, a brothel near Ragman’s Harbor,

· The SAILOR’S WIFE, a whore at the Happy Port,

· LANNA her daughter, a young whore,

Appendix, Feast

Yes, Lanna is the pretty, little, golden-haired, 14 year-old daughter of the Sailor’s Wife, for whom Merry charges extra.

"After Jaime had made his confession, to drive home the lesson, Lord Tywin brought my wife in and gave her to his guards. They paid her fair enough. A silver for each man, how many whores command that high a price? He sat me down in the corner of the barracks and bade me watch, and at the end she had so many silvers the coins were slipping through her fingers and rolling on the floor, she . . . " The smoke was stinging his eyes. Tyrion cleared his throat and turned away from the fire, to gaze out into darkness. "Lord Tywin had me go last," he said in a quiet voice. "And he gave me a gold coin to pay her, because I was a Lannister, and worth more."

Tyrion VI, Game 42

Lanna is worth more... just like a Lannister.

Although the author gave us a physical description of Lanna, He hasn't given us a physical description of the Sailor's Wife.

"She has sixteen years, my lord."

A good age for Joffrey, he thought, remembering what Bronn had said. His first had been even younger. Tyrion remembered how shy she'd seemed as he drew her dress up over her head the first time. Long dark hair and blue eyes you could drown in, and he had. So long ago . . . What a wretched fool you are, dwarf.

Tyrion III, Clash 15

I got a dragon says the Sailor's Wife has dark hair and blue eyes.

And check this out...

It made her angry to see Dareon sitting there so brazen, making eyes at Lanna as his fingers danced across the harp strings. The whores called him the black singer, but there was hardly any black about him now. With the coin his singing brought him, the crow had transformed himself into a peacock. Today he wore a plush purple cloak lined with vair, a striped white-and-lilac tunic, and the parti-colored breeches of a bravo, but he owned a silken cloak as well, and one made of burgundy velvet that was lined with cloth-of-gold. The only black about him was his boots.

Compare Dareon’s brazen outfit to the brazen, twisted little monkey demon’s...

His doublet was divided down the middle; the left side was purple velvet with bronze studs; the right, yellow wool embroidered in green floral patterns. His breeches were similarly split; the right leg was solid green, the left leg striped in red and white.

Tyrion IV, Dance 14

Dareon had once wed the Sailor's Wife, who would only bed with men who married her. The Happy Port sometimes had three or four weddings a night. Often the cheerful wine-soaked red priest Ezzelyno performed the rites. Elsewise it was Eustace, who had once been a septon at the Sept-Beyond-the-Sea. If neither priest nor septon was on hand, one of the whores would run to the Ship and fetch back a mummer. Merry always claimed the mummers made much better priests than priests, especially Myrmello.

The weddings were loud and jolly, with a lot of drinking. Whenever Cat happened by with her barrow, the Sailor's Wife would insist that her new husband buy some oysters, to stiffen him for the consummation. She was good that way, and quick to laugh as well, but Cat thought there was something sad about her too.

The other whores said that the Sailor's Wife visited the Isle of the Gods on the days when her flower was in bloom, and knew all the gods who lived there, even the ones that Braavos had forgotten. They said she went to pray for her first husband, her true husband, who had been lost at sea when she was a girl no older than Lanna. "She thinks that if she finds the right god, maybe he will send the winds and blow her old love back to her," said one-eyed Yna, who had known her longest, "but I pray it never happens. Her love is dead, I could taste that in her blood. If he ever should come back to her, it will be a corpse."

Like I said, that’s a lot of detail for a bit character.

Doesn't the development of this subplot demand resolution? 

Perhaps I' ll find her there. A man should cling to hope. He wondered what he would say to her. I am sorry that I let them rape you, love. I thought you were a whore. Can you find it in your heart to forgive me? I want to go back to our cottage, to the way it was when we were man and wife.

Tyrion IV, Dance 14

Q: First question, will we ever find out where whores go? I'm just asking because I want to go there. (laughter)

GRRM: Yes, we will. We will find out.

SSM, George R.R. Martin Skyping Croatian Fans (17:53)

She loved me. She was a crofter’s daughter, she loved me and she wed me, she put her trust in me.

Tyrion I, Dance 1

Tyrion’s head is going to freaking explode!

And maybe then we'll find out what grand gift the Sealord of Braavos gave to Penny and Oppo. 

"It was Father's idea to do the tilts. He even trained the first pig, but by then he was too sick to ride her, so Oppo took his place. I always rode the dog. We performed for the Sealord of Braavos once, and he laughed so hard that afterward he gave each of us a … a grand gift."

Tyrion VIII, Dance 33

There's a reason that thread was not sewn up.

19 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

Speak not to me of those traitors and the abomination which they wrought from toil which was not their own!

You can say what you want about D&D and there's a lot. However, Martin himself shouldn't get a pass. In the end Martin sold an incomplete product. 

I definitely agree with your point about Tasha though. Some things are best left to the green possibilities of the imagination and finding out would just eliminate most of that.

9 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

You can say what you want about D&D and there's a lot. However, Martin himself shouldn't get a pass. In the end Martin sold an incomplete product. 

Is the onus on the seller, or the buyer? Nobody needed to make a series adaptation at that point in time. People could have waited for GRRM to finish. Maybe he would have written faster or slower, it doesn’t matter because after trying my own hand at novel writing, I’ll never judge GRRM for his slowness again. 

1 minute ago, Canon Claude said:

Is the onus on the seller, or the buyer? Nobody needed to make a series adaptation at that point in time. People could have waited for GRRM to finish. Maybe he would have written faster or slower, it doesn’t matter because after trying my own hand at novel writing, I’ll never judge GRRM for his slowness again. 

Is the onus on the seller or the buyer? Yes. Both parties were agreement to the show and had a responsibility for it. D&D definitely deserve criticism, but I don't think Martin's immune from a share of it. It's not judgment to say he willingly sold an incomplete product to two people with a history of poor adaptations. No one made him do it, it was his choice. I doubt very much we're going to see Winds, much less Dream. Martin seems to have lost his inspiration for whatever reason.  Nothing wrong with that in of itself, but stringing along the fan base for years was a conscious choice. 

21 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

Agreed.  It's closer to reality.  We can't always do anything about the past.  Tyrion will have to live with that guilt.

I’d be very interested in your thoughts on the following characters and the possibility of their influence/meaning  to Tyrion’s storyline.
Joy hill

Tyrion Tanner

Tysha and Lolloys.

The breeding habits of Demon monkeys 

Root of evil? Growing Shoot/snake in a family tree?

8 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

We already have met her. And Tyrion will too...

To be brazen is to be bold and without shame. To brazen is to endure an embarrassing or difficult situation by behaving with apparent confidence and lack of shame. And this Brazen Monkey is small. Remind you of anyone? A “twisted little monkey demon,” perhaps? 

Tyrion without shame. Could Tyrion really be and done what Tywin and others have said of him. An ill formed spiteful little creature. Who gang rapes and tortures? Was cats paw his? 

words are wind. Best not speak aloud or the god of wind will hear. Thoughts are water? Best not think or the god of ocean will hear?

On 12/23/2020 at 3:22 PM, Lord Lannister said:

I definitely agree with your point about Tasha though. Some things are best left to the green possibilities of the imagination and finding out would just eliminate most of that.

*Tysha

On 12/23/2020 at 8:30 AM, Lost Melnibonean said:

could mean to solder two metals or burn hot or bright like a brazier. Flaming Gold and?

Archived